G'day, Ill try again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reckless

Reaction score
Hi, the names Gus

Ive been snoopin around the forum for a while, thought i should introduce myself. Had a go yesterday and promptly got a warning about inapropriate content and my post removed. Whoops. Anyway ill move on from that and try again.

Ive been home brewing for a few years now. Initialy I bought a kegging set up for my dad to help him save a few dollars, I was impressed at his K&K efforts so i thought Id have a crack too. Well as one thing lead to another and i find myself wanting a bit more. Ive had a go at BIAB, it was ok.

I really like the look of the grainfather but its a bit small for the frequency I want to brew at. So ive decided ill build my own rig. Im planning a 1V set up and as i like to tinker i will aim to automate it as much as possible. Anyway most of the parts are in the post and ill be setting it up soon. Ill E-BIAB for the time being while I build the new rig and hopefully by October it should be a going concern then i can just focus on the recipies.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Welcome. I started BIAB a few months ago as well. I have a 1V 36L system, a bit bits and pieces at the moment but will be cleaning it up and making it look a bit more polished in the next month or so. You've come to the right place for info and for help with recipes.

Hi Gus.

'Saw your first post & didn't reply (due to the subject/content...).

LOTS of stuff here that will help you & your Dad get much better quantity/quality out of your efforts.

Have a look around & read-up heaps. Ask questions where you're unsure & be prepared to screw-up as your journey progresses (we all make mistakes as we learn new stuff). Using hops will screw with your head, believe me!

Welcome to the beer vortex... :)

Welcome aboard mate.

What do you mean by the Grainfather being too small for the frequency you'd like to brew? Do you mean you want to brew less frequently, so want to brew bigger batches?

Whilst brewing bigger batches is fantastic if you're time poor, brewing more frequently will help you learn more about brewing, more quickly. Plus it can expose you to lots of different beers at faster rate.

Just food, or beer, for thought...

Spiesy said:
Welcome aboard mate.

What do you mean by the Grainfather being too small for the frequency you'd like to brew? Do you mean you want to brew less frequently, so want to brew bigger batches?

Whilst brewing bigger batches is fantastic if you're time poor, brewing more frequently will help you learn more about brewing, more quickly. Plus it can expose you to lots of different beers at faster rate.

Just food, or beer, for thought...
Yea bigger batches so I can reduce the frequency between brew days. I agree the more frequently i brew the more ill learn but at this stage in my life thats just not possible. So as i have already been doing with my extract brewing, I'll continue to maintain my log book and tasting notes otherwise ill just forget what was good and what was B grade.

cheers

Bigger is better for sure... Im kicking myself now I went to a 75lt output instead of 100lt.. it gets me through adequately but that extra batch in the cube is often missing and I have to force issues (usually meaning a very late night brewing) to get it done.

Still, it's big enough to be super flexible if I want to brew Big beers or punch out 75lt of Pale ales easily.

Good luck with it all, it is both a very rewarding and very demanding hobby and will take over easily B) (But we like it like that)

:beer:

MartinOC said:
Hi Gus.

'Saw your first post & didn't reply (due to the subject/content...).
Jeez my curiosity is just going crazy as to what was in THAT original post.....Carn be a sport and post it lol

hellbent said:
Jeez my curiosity is just going crazy as to what was in THAT original post.....Carn be a sport and post it lol
And get him kicked off AHB for good ? His name is Reckless,but I don't think he is that reckless.

it contained illegal activities that aren't discussed here.

welcome btw mate.

Welcome to the forum,
I have one of the bigger 1v systems, built myself with help from the guys here of course. I will be getting a grainfather later this year, as Spiesy says big batches gets you lots of beer but lots of batches gives you variety. It has been posted that you can knock out 3 brews in a day with the grainfather so variety and volume could both be well covered. For me the big rig will remain for big batches of house beers I do a lot of and for big beers. Good luck with your journey. And don't be afraid to ask ANYTHING it's been asked before.

Welcome to the forum. I run two systems, a 3V that can push out 112L batches for when I can't be buggered / don't have time to brew often, and a 1V that does a 28L batch for when times means I can brew more frequently. You sound like me, I'm always messing around with something in my brewery just for the sake of tinkering.

hellbent said:
It was just some pictures of some copper pipe and glass jars, nothing interesting really, Oh and a cool old car. And just to be clear the Keg that was pictured in those pictures was paid for by the publican whose premises it came from. One of my mates.

As for the bigger unit i sort of figured i would love to have the braumeister 50l but only have the budget for the grainfather. Did a bit of sniffing around and decided i could build my own 50l jobby for around the cost of a Grainfather. Ill be honest I know in 12 months time I'll look at what i have amassed and realize i could have just bought the braumeister. But where is the fun in that??? and besides mine is going to be way better than any commercially bought rig!!!

Anyway thanks for the well wishes and what not, Ill let you all know how i go.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back