Gas Leak On Gas Manifold...how Do I Fix It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
G'day folks,

Well went to pour a drink just now and realised I had run out of gas. I though I would be getting close to the end of my bottle but really this last load of gas hasn't had that much work (or so I had thought) anyway I thought I best check for leaks as I had put two kegs in to carb at serving pressure for a week or so as I couldn't be arsed "shake, rattle and rolling"....anyway I have found a small leak...but still a leak coming from my gas manifold.

My manifold is the same as the craftbrewer ones ( I bought it from Ross). The leak is coming from behind the one little red handles of the ball valves. After removing the handle I have found that the spindle (if thats what you would call it) behind the handle is sort of loose (I can push it around with my finger) which seems to be causing the leak.
gmx6way.jpg

Now what i want to know is...how the heck do I fix this? Do I need to relace the valve or can I maybe pull this sucker apart?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pok

Go straight to the source. I am sure Ross will get it sorted for you.

maybe just to be sure you replace the valve. ~$16 from ross. Id rather spend $16 on a new valve than refill my gas bottle only to find out I didnt do a good repair job.

also a good excuse to buy some more grain/yeast/hops at the same time!

I agree with the previous 2 posters

go straight to the source
I'm sure Ross will have it sorted as quick as for you

Well I stuffed it even more now :( I went to put the little handle back on and tighten the little nut on it...overtightened ever so slightly and the damn threaded section and the nut snapped off. So will deffinatley need to buy a new valve now.

But 1st I have to work out how the heck to get the old one off...I think they have thread glue on them :(

Anyway I emailed Ross and he is going to send me a replacement with my next order :D ...legend.

Pok

Seeing I will have to take the old one out and put a new one in...does anyone know of how I can get the sucker out given there is "locktite" or similar on the thread?? I tried to get it off with a spanner but the spanner wanted to round off the sides of the nut.

Any tricks of the trade to undo things like this??

Cheers, Pok

Pok,

What about the inner nut? Is that rounded as well? If not you might get better purchase on it. Although, as the valve is stuffed anyway, why not grab the whole valve with some pliers and see if it will shift then.

Cheers,

Morrie

Pok,

What about the inner nut? Is that rounded as well? If not you might get better purchase on it. Although, as the valve is stuffed anyway, why not grab the whole valve with some pliers and see if it will shift then.

Cheers,

Morrie

I will have to pull it out of my freezer so I can work on it. Will do it tomorrow when I have some light in the shed to work on it. Can't gas my beers to drink until I get my bottle refilled so that will have to wait till atleast tomorrow. And then will have to wait for the new valve to come from Ross unless I can pick up one locally at the right price.

The inner nut (one closest to the manifold) was the one I tried to use to undo it...I'm sure I will be able to get it off if I try hard enough.

Damn gas leaks :(

Since its stuffed anyway I'd suggest brute force and ignorance.

Just apply all the force (well, within reason) you can muster and see what happens.

Since its stuffed anyway I'd suggest brute force and ignorance.

Just apply all the force (well, within reason) you can muster and see what happens.

Knowing my luck I will end up bending the hole thing in half cutting my hand off and the bits and pieces flying through the air finally lodging itself it the dogs eye.....ok now thats just being silly...the dog wont be there :p

Once you get it out of the freezer, and get some torque on it with a spanner/vice grips, try tapping on the brass body with a little hammer while turning, or try applying heat to the brass body to make it expand a little and help break down the glue stuff.

Can't really tell without seeing a pic but can you get an Easi-Out in it if you take the barb off\cut the barb off first?

TP

What is an easi-out TP?

The manifold looks exactly the same as the one in the photo at the start of the threa?

What is an easi-out TP?
The manifold looks exactly the same as the one in the photo at the start of the threa?
I think TP wants a close up of your damage. If it looks the same as the first photo, then you have nothing to do. :unsure:
An easi out is a left hand Tap with a course thread (as in Tap and Die set). As it bites in in will grip the thread and remove the broken part.

I think TP wants a close up of your damage. If it looks the same as the first photo, then you have nothing to do. :unsure:
An easi out is a left hand Tap with a course thread (as in Tap and Die set). As it bites in in will grip the thread and remove the broken part.

Ahh I think he may be confused then.

The part that is broken is the spigot (if you call it that) that the little red handle sits on that opens and closes the ball on the inside.

valve.jpg

Basically the little nut that you can see on the handle snapped off with the threaded bit still in it...meaning the little handle is not not connected to the valve. I hope this makes sense...I will go and take a photo though.

However the problem of leaking falls with the spigot itself and leaks around the perimeter of it.

Pok

Ahh I think he may be confused then.

The part that is broken is the spigot (if you call it that) that the little red handle sits on that opens and closes the ball on the inside.

View attachment 27098

Basically the little nut that you can see on the handle snapped off with the threaded bit still in it...meaning the little handle is not not connected to the valve. I hope this makes sense...I will go and take a photo though.

However the problem of leaking falls with the spigot itself and leaks around the perimeter of it.

Pok

Pok,

I thought that you wanted to remove the entire broken valve which was held in the main body of the manifold by it's thread AND Locktite? Hence my mentioning the Easi-Out which Boston has described with such flair & accuracy. :icon_cheers:

TP

Pok,
I thought that you wanted to remove the entire broken valve which was held in the main body of the manifold by it's thread AND Locktite? Hence my mentioning the Easi-Out which Boston has described with such flair & accuracy. :icon_cheers:
TP

Yep that is what I want to. Below is a pic of what I am faced with.

edited.jpg

Where do I get one of these "Easi-out"? and what are they worth?

Cheers, Pok

Yeah, you have given the impression that the valve is stuffed, you need to remove it, but have rounded the nut you need to grab to do so. So the answers provided, have been intended to assist with undoing a tight threaded joint for a fitting which has been shagged up.

Yeah, you have given the impression that the valve is stuffed, you need to remove it, but have rounded the nut you need to grab to do so. So the answers provided, have been intended to assist with undoing a tight threaded joint for a fitting which has been shagged up.

I realised that, but I was unsure if TP was saying to use the "Easi-out" on the whole valve or mis-understood what I was trying to do. Considering I had never heard of an "Easi-Out" I think my assumption of mis-understanding was fair.

Anyway will pull it apart tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas guys, greatly appreciated.

Pok

Latest posts

Back