Gas Leak On Gas Manifold...how Do I Fix It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vice and multi grips?

Was my other thought...shame I dont have a decent vice...but a bit of grunt and leverage always works. Just got to make sure I don't damage the rest of the manifold while going it.

Lucky it is the end one.
I would remove the whole manifold, tighten the broken valve in a vice. Then by hand turn the entire manifold, take it to the Winery if necessary. Brass is very soft and it wont be long until you can shag more up. Otherwise use a pipe wrench or multigrips on the entire valve. Dont touch the manifold with any tools.

Lucky it is the end one.
I would remove the whole manifold, tighten the broken valve in a vice. Then by hand turn the entire manifold, take it to the Winery if necessary. Brass is very soft and it wont be long until you can shag more up. Otherwise use a pipe wrench or multigrips on the entire valve. Dont touch the manifold with any tools.

Sounds like what I was thinking.

I thought someone may have had a magical trick up their sleve though...maybe something like.. "wave your beer glass over it in a clockwise direction while saying, homebrew is gold, homebrew is god, homebrew is god...and it will fall out" ...ok maybe not but worth a shot.

Yep that is what I want to. Below is a pic of what I am faced with.

View attachment 27099

Where do I get one of these "Easi-out"? and what are they worth?

Cheers, Pok

Pok,

I wish that I had your computer skills & could edit a pic like you have just done.

I have never been up close to a beerline gas manifold but from the above pic it looks like the barbed tailpiece can be unscrewed from the main body of the valve.
This will allow you to insert an Easi-Out into the bore of the valve (It would help considerably if you could also get all of the valve spindle out of the way so that the Easi-Out will have plenty of room to grip on the inside.
Easi-Outs come in a set of different sizes & can be obtained from any good engineering supply shop. How much they cost now I do not know as mine are 40 odd years old.
Any motor mechanic worth his salt should be able to lend you his set or take out the valve himself so a trip to whoever services your car might pay off.

TP

Any motor mechanic worth his salt should be able to lend you his set or take out the valve himself so a trip to whoever services your car might pay off.

Hmm I like this thought....a good family friend might have the tools I need though...just getting there could be an issue. Got to pick my car up from the auto lec tomorrow...might even take it with me and ask him if he has a set.

Anyway thanks for the ideas.

Pok

I got the valve out of the manifold, took a bit of elbow grease to get it to move as it had loctite on it but a bit of leverage with a pair of multi grips and the sucker finally came out. I will keep the little handle and the hose tail etc off it for spares. The hose tail might come in handy on a commercial coupler I have.

When I put the new one in is there any particular type of loctite that I should use?

I'd probably just use gas tape, just in case you gotta take it apart again.

I'd probably just use gas tape, just in case you gotta take it apart again.

That sounds like a good idea. Is gas tape similar to thread tape you use for liquid plumbing but the gas version?

Glad you got that sorted Pok. :super:
Gas tape is coloured yellow & is just a thicker version of the white plumbers Thread Seal tape.
TP

Cool I'll grab some and use that instead of the loctite.

Back