Gas and beer lines splitting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discosclaw

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please help!
I'm having some trouble with my gas and beer lines splitting. I'm not sure if this photo is clear enough, but you may see the line is stretched, and cracked.
I've been told that i have the correct size line for the disconnects. I place tube in got water to soften before connecting. I've tried with and without tube clamps. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or I've just got a dodgy batch of brittle tubing.

Has anyone experienced this?
How could i prevent it?

Cheers,
Owen

1451727219869.jpg

Looking at the photo it looks like the end of the fitting is threaded not barbed?

It's a kegking hose. I think they're supposed to a quality brand.
What other brands are there?

Had the same problem with barbed fittings with splitting. Most standard fittings are too big and stretch the hose to much.ie 6mm barbs and 5mm hose. You should not have to work to hard getting the hose on, and let the clamp do it's thing.

I'll have to keep an eye on my gas lines that are connected to the manifold... these are 6mm barbs and I've got 5mm ID line on them. I used the hot water trick then stretched them open with a pair of plier type things and used keg lube on the barbs, they slid on easy as without any excessive force needed.

In saying that I've got Andale Flexmaster II branded hose as opposed to whatever the Keg King ones are, so perhaps it's better quality.

All my disconnects have JG push in fittings on them rather than barbs.

You can drill out the end of the beer line to make it easier to insert the barb e.g. use a 6mm drill bit. That way you can use the beer line you have.

The kegking hose is terrible to work with in my experience. Getting the Valpar 5mm lines over my font elbow and manifold barbs was still quite frustrating but at least it was possible... just wish I'd found this out before buying 10m of 5mm KK line first!

Drilling or streching 5mm line to fit 6mm fittings could still be a problem as you are reducing the wall thickness of the tube.
I have hade no problem with the beer side. However conections on the gas manifold has cost me 2 full 7kg cylinders of gas (they never seam to develop leaks when almost empty,Murphy's law) . I replaced the barbs with push on fittings. Still paranoid i have my cylinder sitting on a analog bathroom scale and spray all fittings with soapy water daily

I reckon the hard white line is only good for John Guest style fittings.

For barbed fittings use the clear flexible stuff.

I use the Keg King push fit fittings for Beer lines on my kegerator. I was skeptical at first but they are going very well thus far.
Also the line used is some WestWay line from Brewmart in Perth. It is 8mm OD / 4mm ID. It is actually very malleable when warmed up and they are able to get it over the standard barb fittings (at back of taps in tower).

Could be worth a look. If interested contact Neil at Brewmart he raves about it (not only because he sells it, he swapped to it from other brands for all his pre-assembled - by him and his staff, Kegmates).

Cheers,
D80

Latest posts

Back