Galaxy hop shortage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got my order in for 400g at national. thanks for the tip,

out of curiosity does anyone know/remember when the new years harvest usually hits the shelves?

i know they pick feb/mar.

assuming we'll see them back late March early April? wondering if 400g will last that long!

They usually take a while to come through after harvest.

Maybe May? Can't remember exactly.

Yep. We got 2014 crop in late May this year and we were one of the first.

Im spewing I passed on all I had in the freezer, but then TBH, I havnt used them in some time.. but I really want to now...

Usually start to see AU Pellet hops in about late April through to June.. Part of the problem for smaller retailers like myself is that while I have access to vast amounts early on in the season, it's hard to store that vast amount .. if I get 50-60kg right up, it takes up a lot of storage space and while not everybody keeps them frozen I like to do so.... Unless I get even more freezers.. now there's an idea :unsure:

Yob said:
Im spewing I passed on all I had in the freezer, but then TBH, I havnt used them in some time.. but I really want to now...

Usually start to see AU Pellet hops in about late April through to June.. Part of the problem for smaller retailers like myself is that while I have access to vast amounts early on in the season, it's hard to store that vast amount .. if I get 50-60kg right up, it takes up a lot of storage space and while not everybody keeps them frozen I like to do so.... Unless I get even more freezers.. now there's an idea :unsure:
Good to see you go the extra mile Yob. If it isnt at least fridged and vac sealed, ill take my business elsewhere (which ive done in the past).

Yob said:

There will be a bulk buy on freezers soon won't there? :)

DU99 said:
I have seen some on one of the sponsor's site.including flower's
Possibly the sponsor I bought 2 kilos from last night, only to be informed this morning they were out of stock. There is indeed a shortage!

picked up bulk from a guy on here on the weekend... i got flowers and pellets... gonna have to use them now :icon_cheers:

cant find it online.. everyone is out... i have about 25grams left :eek:

500gr for $30... its 2013 vintage though :\

yob, would you use hops that old?

Shit yeah, it's only last year's crop, stored correctly, no problem. Stored warm and not sealed.. Erm.. Nope. Your nose will yell you though

I found about 100g of galaxy hash in the bottom of my freezer, ypu can bet your ass that it'll go into swmbo's next pale.

leighaus said:
cant find it online.. everyone is out... i have about 25grams left :eek:

500gr for $30... its 2013 vintage though :\

yob, would you use hops that old?
I'm still using POR flowers from 2010 from a bulk buy that good old Wolfy organised back then. Admittedly mostly for bittering but having been vac sealed and frozen the whole time they still smell as great as POR flowers can smell.
Most of the hops I use are 2-3 years old by now as that's when I went overboard with bulk orders, still getting great feedback for those beers.

ella isn't too different either, cub are using (some) galaxy in that shitty excuse for a golden ale also.

Latest posts

Back