Galaxy hop shortage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Runk

Reaction score
Is it just me or is there a Galaxy shortage this summer?

still get a 25g bag for $7 from craftbrewer but no one seems to have any decent quantity any more... all sold out?

are the craft brewers running us dry with their summer ales?

anyone have any suppliers that have 100g or 1kg bags still available?

I'd say the export market is taking a lot- heaps of American craft breweries are discovering Galaxy

You could try mixing tinned passionfruit pulp with lawn mowings if you run dry. Should get you in the ballpark.

Stop trying to throw us off the scent of that 5kg brick you have stashed away, Manticle ;)

Check the site sponsors are you won't generally be disappointed, HBHB is still stocked and at a very reasonable price...

National home brew seem to have Galaxy in stock, pack I got 2 weeks ago is amazing, fresh and stinky(in that gooood way)..

There is going to be a shortage of Galaxy, yes. Both suppliers are currently out. So unless your LHBS bought up big or has stock contracted, expect no more until 2015 crop.

And having said that, stock of a lot of 2014-crop US hops is looking hard to come by. There's not a lot available now, there will be more to arrive early and late Jan, but a lot of it is already contracted to breweries and select brew shops.

HPA have extended and bought the adjacent farm at Ovens to put up a heap more trellis. Not sure what has been planted.
Also was told they have dug out another variety that is no longer under contract to a brewery to replant with some other variety.
So I'd imagine there will be a heap of their newer popular varieties in the future.

If you can message Ruckus from Newcastle he had 1Kg from a Bulk Buy in July that I delivered to him.

At $7 per 25g Im sure at those prices he might include postage for a 100g bag, I know I would.

Don Runk said:
still get a 25g bag for $7 from craftbrewer but no one seems to have any decent quantity any more... all sold out?
to be fair they are 90 gram bags at $7.00 at Craftbrewer

QldKev said:
Yamika Vally Hops still has it, $US22.99 per pound or $US15.99 per 1/2 pound
That's in USA. Throw in postage and conversion fees and that price point blows out a bit.

Not to mention the fact that those hops will have been shipped AU to US back to AU, not exactly great for their integrity - but, beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Hmmm I did notice that Matilda Bays new Duck Aussie Pale Ale has Galaxy and Summer hops in it, maybe they're contributing to the supply issues...

I'm coming over to raid your stash NickB.

menoetes said:
Hmmm I did notice that Matilda Bays new Duck Aussie Pale Ale has Galaxy and Summer hops in it, maybe they're contributing to the supply issues...
I wish they would wake up and see that it's a crap beer and stop brewing it to preserve both these hops for those wanting to do them justice.

I checked about 4-5 retailers and none in stock....glad Ive got 200g vac sealed. :)

Latest posts

Back