Galaxy hop shortage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brew shop is not always the most up to date site in terms of stock levels, so,hopefully you're not left disappointed

Mmmmm, quite a good hop.. Not on that excuse for a beer of course.. Vic secret is also up there...

screw you galaxy, I thought you cared but you dont call anymore...

they can reverse paypal me if need be... I have one avenue of enquiry left if it fails :)

Yob said:
Shit yeah, it's only last year's crop, stored correctly, no problem. Stored warm and not sealed.. Erm.. Nope. Your nose will yell you though

I found about 100g of galaxy hash in the bottom of my freezer, ypu can bet your ass that it'll go into swmbo's next pale.
Galaxy hash @ Flame Out................... :icon_drool2:

Tahoose said:
ella isn't too different either, cub are using (some) galaxy in that shitty excuse for a golden ale also.
In my humble opinion, I'd say Ella is very different.

Haven't brewed with it, but had a pale brewed with it at the swap meet and I found it to be quite similar...

This explains a few orders I just got....

I have a question to the AHB brewing community...

How does one think the multitude of KG's of hops are transported from one continent to another? Are they in refrigerated containers held at a constant temperature?

I know my large 5kg bags are refrigerated once here in AUS and at my end once I get them but I suspect they sat on a a ship deck for some months in a container that was not economically viable to cool.

I'd also like to share with you that on the bags I can see there is a stamped 4 yr use by date.

Food for thought :D

2much2spend said:
What do you find different about it?
I find Galaxy to be Passionfruit City, or Passionfruit Cits - as some would say. And a little stonefruit.

Ella, on the other hand, I get a deeper, danky, aniseed type vibe.

But, I've only used it once.

Galaxy hop shortage?
I can live without it quite easily, and I have around 500gm of the stuff.

Melba is a new hop variety under trial with some of the craft breweries. It's reported to have very similar properties flavour and aroma wise and apparently doesn't suffer from the same harshness if used early. Sounds promising. We'll have a small shipment on the way in the next day or so. We have a few brews planned with it over the Christmas break, so will be able to check it out within the next 3-4 weeks.

Time will tell.

I find Galaxy to be Passionfruit City, or Passionfruit Cits - as some would say. And a little stonefruit.

Ella, on the other hand, I get a deeper, danky, aniseed type vibe.

But, I've only used it once.
been using ella for bittering and galaxy, summit, vic secret for finishing and dry hopping - never had ella on it's own

got a strong ale bottled that I named "Stellas Secret" because my little girls name is Stella (Ella hops used to be called Stella) it is 9% abv bittered with ella and dry hopped /flame outed with vic secret - it's oorright

elcarter said:
How does one think the multitude of KG's of hops are transported from one continent to another? ......
...I suspect they sat on a a ship deck for some months in a container that was not economically viable to cool.
Note to self - Don't buy hops from Carter :lol:

elcarter said:
This explains a few orders I just got....

I have a question to the AHB brewing community...

How does one think the multitude of KG's of hops are transported from one continent to another? Are they in refrigerated containers held at a constant temperature?

I know my large 5kg bags are refrigerated once here in AUS and at my end once I get them but I suspect they sat on a a ship deck for some months in a container that was not economically viable to cool.

I'd also like to share with you that on the bags I can see there is a stamped 4 yr use by date.

Food for thought :D
Don't see why it makes economic sense to ship frozen/refrigerated (insert food stuff) that sells here for, say, $5 to $20 per kg but not for hops that retail at $60 + a kg

Blind Dog said:
Don't see why it makes economic sense to ship frozen/refrigerated (insert food stuff) that sells here for, say, $5 to $20 per kg but not for hops that retail at $60 + a kg
As far as I know, it just doesn't happen. Which is a shame, particularly when you consider how well liquid yeast is handled (refrigerated shipping).

Just an update for those after galaxy...the link I ordered from above arrived no dramas very quickly.

My local homebrew shop said they had not heard of any shortage at all.

Another suitable hop replacement could be Vic Secret.

Australian Vic Secret Hops – A dual purpose & high alpha variety. New to the hop scene. Vic Secret has clean & ditstinct fruit & pine characters. Best used as a late addition or by dry hopping.

We also have plenty of galaxy hop flowers available we sourced due to the low supply of pellets.

Hoppy Days

Latest posts

Back