Funny little Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly79

Reaction score
Gday all. I was at a secondhand/antique shop this arvo and came across a small keg. I know I should have taken a photo but I got sidetracked and forgot. It would hold around 5 Ltrs and was made of aluminium I think. It was a funny Egg shape with a little tap on top for serving. It also had threaded cap for filling with a soda stream arrangement on top of the filler cap. There was also a Schroeder valve sticking out of the top. Thoughts? Worth going back and making an offer? My only concern was would I be able to replace any seals that were possibly buggered. Cheers

These were used in the 60s/70s, you took them to the pub and they filled them from the tap much like a growler
from what I know they were phased out when the breweries realised you'd make more money having punters at the pubs constantly buying beer after beer, not only sitting at home having 1 or 2

Most 25+ year old aluminium kegs (and there lots out there at one time) have holes in them, or are heading that way.
Make sure you can see the inside bottom of the keg and if its holed/pitted wave off.
Mark

Latest posts

Back