Fridge Thermostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelTearsOnMyTongue

Reaction score
The fridge I am intending to use for fermentation runs at about 5oC when at its lowest setting.

I have been given two thermostats for a "Beverage" fridge which should enable me to set the temp slightly higher.

Both of these New thermostats have two terminals and an Earth like this....

Diag_New.JPG

However, the old thermostat has three terminals and an Earth and is wired like this....

Diag_Old.JPG

Does anyone know how I can wire up the New thermostats (One at a time). One of the New thermostats is almost identicle to the old one except it doesnt have the terminal I have marked #4 (Active).

So far my only attempt kicked the fusebox out.

:)

ATOMT

Well if the new thermostat only has 3 pins, and you're sure one of them is an earth, then the other two must make contact when the stat switches on.

So make sure you've got power to one side, connect the other side to the motor 'in', and connect the motor 'out' directly to the neutral. If that doesn't work, try swapping your connections on the thermostat in case it makes the 'output' side to earth when it switches off.

I'm not a fridge tech so I'm guessing here, but for some reason your old stat seems to have a neutral terminal. I don't know why, maybe it is just a convenient connection point and serves no other purpose. It would be good to know what is happening in the junction box to give you 3 separate lines plus earth.

I'd say the brown is active, and the blue and orange are both neutral, but without seeing the junction box I wouldn't like to rule out the possibility that it is the other way round.

Of course this is only a theoretical discussion, the only person who should touch any of this in real life is a licensed electrician isn't it...

Latest posts

Back