Fridge Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynnum1

Reaction score
Not having any luck brewing in fridge 10 C using saf s23 i think problem is yeast made starter from earlier brew two can stout that was made with new packet of yeast .When i made stater fed with dextrose and some nutient should i have used malt or some wort the FG is stopping at 1016 cascade web site states 1005 when adding 1 kg dextrose and cascade can .The last brew i put onto yeast cake and 17L Water one can no dextrose .I am going to add 1 kg dextrose and 5 L water when fermentation stops.Has anyone done this and did it make any difference .

Not having any luck brewing in fridge 10 C using saf s23 i think problem is yeast made starter from earlier brew two can stout that was made with new packet of yeast .When i made stater fed with dextrose and some nutient should i have used malt or some wort the FG is stopping at 1016 cascade web site states 1005 when adding 1 kg dextrose and cascade can .The last brew i put onto yeast cake and 17L Water one can no dextrose .I am going to add 1 kg dextrose and 5 L water when fermentation stops.Has anyone done this and did it make any difference .
Oh, man! My head hurts. Try using a full stop or ten, then perhaps it will be clear what it is you're asking...

What are you asking??? I got as far as "Not having any luck brewing" before I got lost trying to find your question.

If the problem is the high final gravity of your current batch, then what volume did you make up the current batch to (I'm guessing the current batch is the 1 can of Cascade, 1kg dextrose)? If you make a batch up to 17L, it will end up stronger than if you make it up to 23L.

My interpretation:
Not having any luck brewing in a fridge set to 10C using saflager S-23. I made a two can stout with a new packet of yeast. I took some of the trub and made a starter fed with dextrose and nutrient. Should I have used malt or some wort?

The FG is stopping at 1.016 but the cascade website says should be 1.005 when combining a can of cascade goop with 1kg dextrose.

The last brew I put straight onto the yeast cake and 17L of water but didn't add any dextrose. I am thinking about adding 1kg dextrose and 5L water when fermentation stops. Has anyone done this and did it make a difference?

Still doesn't make any sense as to which brew is which? And why do a two can stout with lager yeast?

OK.
Firstly, starters should be made with malt. So , extract or a can, not dextrose.
You also don't need a starter with dry yeast.

When you say no luck do you mean no fermentation? Lager ferments at 10C will be slow. Have you taken readings over several days?
Airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation, that goes double for lagers.

As for the rest, I'm sorry but like the others have said your post is kind of hard to understand....

I am a little unsure of what your asking . When you say your "not having any luck", do you mean you cannot get your SG down to what coopers say it should be ?
I am also wondering what you mean by when fermentation stops , your going to "add 1 kg dextrose and 5 L water" Are you going to bulk prime your batch or are you trying to get it to kick of fementation again ? This will not happen .
I have had "proper"lagers in my lager fridge fermenting for at least 3 weeks....
First...please clarify what you think should be happening...
Also...
When you say you made a starter...do you mean you re-hydrated your yeast or you meant to make your pkt of dry yeast grow from x amount of yeast cells to a say one liter starter that you had in a sanitry container and you let grow ?
Or...are you refering to the yeast cake of a previous brew ?
Also , how sanitry were you ?
Do you have a hydometer ?

There may also need to be some research on your behalf to try and understand some of the do's & dont's of brewing and what you can expect.The search function can be gold for this.

Some things to think about when posting questions...try and be as clear and concise as possible .This will enable others to try and understand your problem and give you constructive answers...
AND
Please don't let exploding heads put you off what can be a fun and rearding hobby.

Cheers
Ferg

the yeast is from previous brew that was saf s23 and was taken from 2 stubbies and made into a starter but used dextrose and some nutrient this yeast then did not ferment out stopped at 1016 its now in 8 x 3 L fruit juice containers in fridge as this is the only way to fit 2 brews in fridge.Another brew was then put onto yeast cake but only 17 L of water no dextrose which is now fermenting the question is what happens if you put the 1 kg dextrose and 5 L at a later stage will it ferment better as the dextrose will be last to ferment out .In wine making if you want high alcahol content they recommend adding sugar in stages .The second question is when making yeast starter from brewed beer can you ruin yeast by feeding dextrose .

the yeast is from previous brew that was saf s23 and was taken from 2 stubbies and made into a starter but used dextrose and some nutrient this yeast then did not ferment out stopped at 1016 its now in 8 x 3 L fruit juice containers in fridge as this is the only way to fit 2 brews in fridge.Another brew was then put onto yeast cake but only 17 L of water no dextrose which is now fermenting the question is what happens if you put the 1 kg dextrose and 5 L at a later stage will it ferment better as the dextrose will be last to ferment out .In wine making if you want high alcahol content they recommend adding sugar in stages .The second question is when making yeast starter from brewed beer can you ruin yeast by feeding dextrose .

..................................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

there ya go mate. feel free to use them when needed.

i dnt liek ppl that cum 2 forums expecting answers for poorly structured questions the least you can do is make an effort in your typing to make it clear what you are asking and the factors that have lead to the situation you are in otherwise people will think why should i spend time writing a clear answer to the questions posed i know this is a huge contradiction in that i am typing in a ridiculous manner and have wasted a heap of my time and anyone who reads this but maybe you should get a can of extract add 3kg of sugar and chuck in the yeast and leave the real brewing to people who put in a bit of time to understand what is going on and respect those who know more than them suck my balls

Putting the dextrose in in stages shouldn't be necessary as in fact the yeast will probably ferment out the dex first or at any rate proportionally favour the dextrose as it does when fermenting a mixture of dex and fructose when you have inverted some cane sugar which is a good cheap alternative to paying three dollars a kilo or whatever at the LHBS but in answer to your other points if you used some yeast nutrient along with the dextrose that should be fine in the past I have made high alcoholic ginger beers using pure sugar and a bit of ginger and yeast nutrient and it's fermented out very quickly to dryness so in your case the yeast should do just fine. However Saflager s-23 in my experience can take higher temperatures without creating off flavours I used it a couple of times in my kits n extracts days before I had a fermenting fridge and it made reasonable beers.

Mate, really think you may need to have a look at some of the standards used in making a yeast starter.

Dextrose is no good . Re-hydrating and building starters are different things, as is growing yeast from bottle yeast .
.If you want to build a starter..that is make alot of HEALTHY yeast then you need to use malt extract . This is a simple wort . You need to boil it. Cool it. Then pitch your yeast .The let it start to grow . Have a look at some of the wiki and or search functions to learn more.

If your beer has finished fermenting , IMO adding more water and sugar will not kick it off again . I would not add more water and sugar .I would also suggest becuase your OG may be higher ,your FG may not be as low as you would expect . I would try giving your fermenter a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast and see if that helps .
I am still unsure what you mean by ferment better...do you mean quicker ? lower FG ?
Adding more sugar will only ( in my opinion) lead to it tasting bad.

Beer making and wine making are different in alot of ways . Some practices do not transpose.

I cannot stress enough that it sounds like you really need to do some more research on good brewing practices .

Another thing..PUNCTUATION .
It is very hard to read your posts when you fail to use full stops and are not overtly clear on what your problem is and what your questions are. Be concise in what your methods are too...this can help others ( inc me ) help you .

Lastly...your brews are in 8 x 3 litre juice containers ?????? How sanitary are they ? Do they seal properly ??? Maybe get some long necks from the scouts/buy and drnik some/whatever...they don't all have to be in the fridge once you bottle...in fact they may benefit from some conditioning to help your carbonation .
Anyway...this is just my 2c....
Lets hope we have no-more exploding heads....
Ferg

Putting the dextrose in in stages shouldn't be necessary as in fact the yeast will probably ferment out the dex first or at any rate proportionally favour the dextrose as it does when fermenting a mixture of dex and fructose when you have inverted some cane sugar which is a good cheap alternative to paying three dollars a kilo or whatever at the LHBS but in answer to your other points if you used some yeast nutrient along with the dextrose that should be fine in the past I have made high alcoholic ginger beers using pure sugar and a bit of ginger and yeast nutrient and it's fermented out very quickly to dryness so in your case the yeast should do just fine. However Saflager s-23 in my experience can take higher temperatures without creating off flavours I used it a couple of times in my kits n extracts days before I had a fermenting fridge and it made reasonable beers.

Bugger...Bribie forgot to take a breath...don't go exploding now bloke lol !!

Too many **** wits on site ask a question and get abuse from people that know nothing.

Too many **** wits on site ask a question and get abuse from people that know nothing.
Are you seriously saying that the people who answered you know nothing coz thats assuming that you know them pretty well a lot of them they do know a lot about brewing but you need to actually ask a question i mean did you ask a question im not sure you did say something about having trouble with your brewing but i dont think i figured out what the problem was since your post was all jumbled up and stuff and you talked about three different brews but didnt use a full stop so i dont know which one had the problems do you see why that was hard gee people were having a laugh because your post was written so incomprehensibly but we all said that we would help you if we could understand you better we would be able to if you used a full stop or two or at least wrote your problem out in dot points no need to get all shaken up chill out i would be sorry for continuing to poke fun but we have tried to help but you still post as if full stops are on the other side of the room from the keyboard and not worth the effort to make it clear what you mean and instead of trying to make it clearer you call us **** wits that know nothing thats a bit rude if you ask be but then again i guess you didnt or did you i dont know anymore

if ur gunna post here mate and ask a question and then get answers and not like the ansers then yiou complain about the answers mate i dont see how u can do that when all the people here have to work hard and then give there three time after hours to help ppl like you out and you dont even have the common courtesey to thank them mate i hope you enjoy your toucan stout lager i hope you dont choke on it or die or anything or become even smrater ffs mate just chill and have a beer and a deep breath and come back here and try again this time maybe stop typing like a retart if u havent noticed this is a parody of ur fine self sir

Relax wynnum1.

There's plenty of helpful and insightful people on this forum. It's just that everybody has had a hard time reading your post.

So harden up a bit, don't mind the guys having a bit of fun, and if you want some info, try and make your questions a bit easier to read.

Latest posts

Back