Fresh Wort Vs Can Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterBulldog

Reaction score
I see that 'Brewers Selection Fresh Wort' kits are only a little bit pricier than say a ESB 3kg Kit.

Wouldn't the fresh wort be better quality... or not so?

i know brewing them isn't as much fun as kits & bits but if you just want to put down a nice quick brew they are pretty convienient!

i just did an esb bavarian lager. tasted it last night after 2 weeks in the bottle! not bad at all! tasted a lot like a VB at this stage. looking forward to getting after it again in another 2 weeks time ;)

yea get onto the fresh wort kits, they do what they say on the label most times....its All grain without the hassle of having to make it, just dump yeast in and your away.

yes, this one is taunting me ...

Brewers Selection Fresh Wort Cerny Pevo
Seasonal- available May. A Czech Dark Lager!!! Great dark beer flavour without the heaviness of stout. Comes with a saflager yeast but will work well with any of the White Labs lager strains.(

What size are the containers these come in, 20 or 25 litres. I want to buy a couple of cubes soon, so hell I might as well buy them full of beer :)

What size are the containers these come in, 20 or 25 litres. I want to buy a couple of cubes soon, so hell I might as well buy them full of beer :)

I think they come in 15 litres. you add 5 litres of water.

going to the LHBS today ill give one a bash i thinks see whats availiable.

Does anybody know what hops they use in Brewers Selection Fresh Wort APA

i know brewing them isn't as much fun as kits & bits but if you just want to put down a nice quick brew they are pretty convienient!
Well i wouldn't say that - I've bought a few fresh worts from G&G, and added "Bits" to all of them. You really treat them like a can of liquid extract, and add specialty grains to vary the style eg I made a brown ale by adding cystal and chocolate to a pale ale wort, and made a stout by adding roast barley, flaked barley, rolled oats and crystal malt. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

So it can be as easy as adding yeast, but that does not need to be a limitation.

hazard

Seasonal- available May. A Czech Dark Lager!!! Great dark beer flavour without the heaviness of stout. Comes with a saflager yeast but will work well with any of the White Labs lager strains.(
im assuming they are saying it will be like a Kozel Cerny. which is a lovely dark czech lager. rich and malty

edit: if you can pick up fresh wort kits for much the same price as a 'tin kit'. definitely go the fresh wort.

Fresh wort vs canned kit?

Think Barcelona vs Woop Woop under-12s.

It ain't even close.

Another vote for a fresh wort kit over a can anyday.....

QldKev

got a brewers selection dark lager today!!!!

look forward to get it going after i bottle my belgian ale on monday!

Another vote for a fresh wort kit over a can anyday.....

QldKev

I am an avid AG brewer, but if I need keg fillers - these are unbeatable. No doubt, moving from K&B to fresh wort and tasting the difference, inspired me to go AG.
I used to add some wheat malt to the Brewers Selection Norwest Pale Ale, some Cascade & Amarillo. Yum. :icon_drool2:

If wort kits were around before I started all grain I might not have started all grain. I feel the best way is not to add too much extra water to the wort kit to "get the most for your money".

I am an avid AG brewer, but if I need keg fillers - these are unbeatable. No doubt, moving from K&B to fresh wort and tasting the difference, inspired me to go AG.
I used to add some wheat malt to the Brewers Selection Norwest Pale Ale, some Cascade & Amarillo. Yum. :icon_drool2:

It's a good point. All those k&k types who post questions such as 'is all-grain really that much better than kits' just need to try a FWK. Case closed.

tasted it last night after 2 weeks in the bottle! not bad at all! tasted a lot like a VB

I'm not trying to start anything but I just wanted to remind you of something a wise man once said:

BitterBulldog said:
i thought the idea of homebrewing was to make GOOD beer NOT to make the garbage beer you can already buy!

Don't care personally. Just thought it was pretty hilarious.

If wort kits were around before I started all grain I might not have started all grain. I feel the best way is not to add too much extra water to the wort kit to "get the most for your money".

fresh wort kits were around many many many many years ago. Coopers used to do them before kits. My father swore by them (I still remember following my mother with a trolley or two full of them when they were on special at FRANKLINS for $5.00). They then went on to cans to reduce shipping space.

That is true Katie but they were finished before I was interested in brewing. I have heard good things about them.

Get it!

I made it about 12 months ago and really enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of the dark, dark beers but the other half is. This was a really good compromise that we both enjoyed.

I made an FWK last year, it finalized my decision to go AG, it's clear that FWK's are a better product than cans of goop, the flavor is fresher and cleaner.
My FWK wheat kit was around $40 for 15 litres topped up to 20. I can make the same AG and control the process or change the flavor profile for less than $30 and a few hours labor.
I think they are great but perhaps a bit expensive, perhaps the shipping dictates the cost.

Latest posts

Back