Fresh Wort Vs Can Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have plenty of them BribieG, just look under "Fresh Wort Kits" ;)

cheers Ross

He probably doesn't look past the fridge. :p

I half agree with your first statement... It will turn out far superior, but a polished turd is still a turd.

Regarding the "vast majority":

"I agree that those who frequent AHB have a much, much better idea, and for most who have read and hung around here for a bit a FWK would be a HUGE step up from kits."

Thanks to sites such as AHB- my knowledge, technique, etc. continue to expand. K&K, K&B & Extract. I benefit from everyone's experiences. Thank you.

Four FWKs have been trialled. IMO they are not a "HUGE step up from kits". eg. kits which are treated & augmented as per the dos & don'ts of AHB/Palmer/Butter's Cat/ etc.

Cheers

I started my home brew life only last year and have used fresh worts from day one on the advice of my local home brew shop.

Easy to use (it couldn't get any easier) and the taste is as good as any other beer I have tried.

The brand I have been buying is "Brewers Selection" do you guys know of any others that are worth a try?

Haha - love my old posts (cringe cringe) :rolleyes:

Shortly after my above posts I did drop into into CB and picked up a Brewers Selection for my new kegerator - if I remember it was the trad bitter. A pleasant beer but very light on the hop rate. I have drunk the St Peters pub beers in Newtown and Glebe on a trip there and they were great however.

I would recommend additional hopping with hop tea - depending on the style. FWKs are basically just nochill cubes of wort and can suffer from loss of aroma exactly in the same way as nochill. Woy, if you have a look at Craftbrewer at the top of the page you'll see that Ross is going to produce his own FWKs when he gets the new premises wrassled down and hogtied - looking forward to trying a couple. If he does his Obama ale as a FWK it will be a killer.

BABBs_comp_pic.JPG

Edit: I see that CB have removed the reference to FWKs from their front page for now, but I expect they are still on the cards.

Guys.....just my $0.05...made a FWK and cracked open the first bottle tonight. Brewers selection, Norwest Pale Ale. GREAT BEER...

However its no better than my partials or kits & bits. In fact some of my partial and kits/bits are better, IMO. Either way, I think we all understand that making great beer is not JUST in the ingredients, but in the method(s).

So, that being said, I am sure if I went through enough FWKs and tweaked an tuned them as much as I have the partials & kits/bits I do then they will be better. In the meantime I will be hanging around the partials/kits & bits until I get my hands on a 40L urn one day for AG (BIAB)

rendo

I half agree with your first statement... It will turn out far superior, but a polished turd is still a turd.

Regarding the "vast majority":

"I agree that those who frequent AHB have a much, much better idea, and for most who have read and hung around here for a bit a FWK would be a HUGE step up from kits."

Thanks to sites such as AHB- my knowledge, technique, etc. continue to expand. K&K, K&B & Extract. I benefit from everyone's experiences. Thank you.

Four FWKs have been trialled. IMO they are not a "HUGE step up from kits". eg. kits which are treated & augmented as per the dos & don'ts of AHB/Palmer/Butter's Cat/ etc.

Cheers

Afternoon,

I am new to home brewing, I have reently brought a keg king, a few kegs, gas, and thermostat for my old firdge i intend to ferment in.

I brought a FWK over the weekend (this seems like the easiet option begin wit), a Amarillo Ale, some galaxy hops, and some specialty yeast (not sure what it is, the behind counter grabbed it for me).

I was hoping to make a beer similar to LCPA but may have selected wrong hops? anyway are there any tips on if i should use the hops at all? or just add water to FWK and ferment (i love hoppy beers like LCPA, Alpha pale ale, Stone and Wood Pacific Ale etc.)? also what temp should i set the thermostat to?

Time.

... some specialty yeast (not sure what it is, the behind
You should really look on the packet and find out what yeast it is... but presuming its some standard ale yeast - 18 degrees is a good temp.

I wouldn't suggest you add any extra hops for the first try - brew it up and see how it tastes before you start fcuking with it.

Good luck with it.

An Amarillo ale will not turn out anything like an LCPA more like a James Squire Golden/amber.
Galaxy goes very well with amarillo so you could try 20g at 15minutes and dry hop another 25g after about 4 days should get a good bit of galaxy and decent aroma.

P.S. you have been a member a long time to be still new to brewing. :icon_cheers:

thanks for reply gents!

Tropical_Brews thanks for the tips, should i add the first lot of galaxy into a boiling phase?

your correct i have been a member for a while, when i first joined i used to read the bar/pub reviews to try and find new beers/breweries, then last yr i decided "why not have a go myself?" so after saving for quite a while i purchased all the gear, and now im ready and raring to go, although with limited knowledge!

apologies if questions sound a bit "simple".

Time.

hmmm interesting

anyone know where you can get something like this in Adelaide ???

would be interesting to try in my next batch

thanks for reply gents!

Tropical_Brews thanks for the tips, should i add the first lot of galaxy into a boiling phase?

your correct i have been a member for a while, when i first joined i used to read the bar/pub reviews to try and find new beers/breweries, then last yr i decided "why not have a go myself?" so after saving for quite a while i purchased all the gear, and now im ready and raring to go, although with limited knowledge!

apologies if questions sound a bit "simple".

Time.

2 methods I can think of to get some galaxy into the brew is Hop Tea dump the hops into about 1/2 litre of boiling water and allow to steep for about 20 mins or so. I think FWK kits are 17Litre so could mix a bit of wort with say 200ml of water and do a 15min boil all up total about 1/2l. Probably make the total volume up to 20-21litres some say if you make up to 23l it turns out a bit thin and wish washy. The last FWK I did was 21litres and was quite nice but not very hoppy.

ive found out the yeast is Safale US-05 11.5g.

will that be any good?

Us 05 is perfect for an American pale. Just remember to hydrate prior to pitching.

hmmm interesting

anyone know where you can get something like this in Adelaide ???

would be interesting to try in my next batch

Brewcraft on Henly Beach Road has got a stack of them in. Ive never used them so I cant tell you what they are like.

Given the small cost of BIAB, wouldnt it be better to just go straight to AG?

Fil

just wanted to keep things simple for my first few brews till i know what im doing.
i aim to keep progressing over time, and hopefully get better.

just wanted to keep things simple for my first few brews till i know what im doing.
i aim to keep progressing over time, and hopefully get better.
I just dump my wort into the fermenter and sprinkle the yeast on top - as do many here. It's been debated many times whether rehydrating is actually of any benefit. Personally, with MY process (important caveat) i think it is just another infection avenue, so I avoid it. If I was more anal about some of my processes, I'd consider it, but most of the time my pitching time is done with a screaming 4 month old in one arm, a clingy 2 year old in the other, and me trying to tear the yeast packet open with my toes. I manage to get the odd day or two here and there to do my AG brews, but the wife seems to get sherty when I ask for 10 minutes to actually pitch the yeast. Sometimes keeping it simple is of value. Worry more about temperature, IMO.

I've recently done a couple of the GG artisan ales which I believe are manufactured by Mountain Goat.

Partly experiment to see what they are like and partly to keep stocks up while I brew less and study more.

I've not fermented one as is - first one I did a small boil with 3 litres of left over wort for a Belgian Golden strong I made. Added hallertauer hersbrucker hops for bittering and flavouring, cooled then dumped in.

Verdict - nice bitterness, slightly sweet, full bodied, great beer. Shits on any canned kits I ever made.

Recently made a similar one but did a minimash with 1kg munich (my first biab) - boil from minimash was hopped with hersbrucker and tettnanger. Initial tastings similar to above.

Definitely worth doing for kit brewers interested in AG, definitely worth doing for AG brewers like myself when they run short on time.
I'l be making an APA from one of these kits to see how a hallertauer wort copes with US hops (not something I would design but the kit is supposedly suitable) and trying one of their stout kits as is (or at least diluted according to instruction).

well sucessfully (fingers crossed) did my first brew yesterday.

i boiled 2.5lt of water with a bit of dextrose and 20g galaxy hops for 15 mins.
then removed from hot plate and added another 25g of galaxy hops.

added it all to fermenter along with yeast and put in fridge at 20 degrees.

checked it this morning for a couple of mins and it bubbled so i assume it is working, cant wait to taste!

Back