Fresh Wort Vs Can Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I see it you are using a keg as a secondary with polyclar then going to rack off into another keg.

To burp your keg just need a quick shot of Co2 and then release so the Oxygen/Air is pushed out. Should only need a small amount so I don't think pressure would be critical just enough to push the air out. It is only a day or two so hopefully in that time nothing drastic can go wrong.

Does polyclar work that fast ?

at the demonstation i went to at brewers choice it did, thats what sold me on the idea of buying all the equipment.

hopefully when i taste it the cost will be justied.

tropical brews-your spot on with the process.

time01, I see by you profile you have been labeled a "kit Master", you should complete your profile so that we can see your location among other things. We could then direct you to a nearby club or AHBers that are local to you and help you along the right direction.

noted howling dog, have updated my profile, i dont know why it says kitmaster? and i couldnt change it.

well i did the first part in the process last night, racked from fermenter to keg and added polyclar (my wife even assisted!). I also attempted "burping" keg.

a mate is coming around saturday to help me with the rest so will posta pic once done!

many thanks for your help everyone, greatly appreciated.

:icon_offtopic: 'Kitmaster' in profile will change when you log up more posts and your number of barrels increases.
:icon_offtopic: just a bit of fun as you climb the ranks to regular poster.

according to the instructions i need to add polyclar and rack it to keg, leave in fridge for 24 hrs, then rack it to another keg via filter.

Why can't you just add polyclar to primary and wait 24hrs? I don't use palyclar either

filtered the beer on Sat morning, and a mate showed me how to carbonate it.

it hadnt been carbonating for 48hrs by last night, and still tasted quite flat but tasted pretty good.

filtered the beer on Sat morning, and a mate showed me how to carbonate it.

it hadnt been carbonating for 48hrs by last night, and still tasted quite flat but tasted pretty good.
How did you carbonate ? Just wondering if you tried the "force" carbonate method ?
i reckon you could take it out of the fridge , disconnect all the lines and shake the bejesus outta it ( counting to 20 slowly) ...put the gas back on...let it fill with gas again...disconnect...shake the bloody thing again ...etc...do this 4 times and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours....it whould be right to go then...
Cheers
Ferg

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers guys i will look into this tomorrow, dont have internet at home currently which makes things difficult.

i tried Ferg's method, and while it improved it still seems a bit flat.
perhaps because its an amarello ale?

anyone have a "how to guide" for carbonating for the future? i want to get the next one spot on.

i tried Ferg's method, and while it improved it still seems a bit flat.
perhaps because its an amarello ale?

anyone have a "how to guide" for carbonating for the future? i want to get the next one spot on.

i think the best method is "TIME" just put my kegs onto gas at prefered gassing/pouring pressure, i set mine on 100kp now,let it carb for a week then its done, dont rush it.
fergi

still no luck with this one, if i press the release section on top of keg, can i try and start again? when i pore the beer the head comes out very gassy, but the beer is flat as a tack.

i have another beer fermenting atm which should be ready by the weekend.

Fergi- for the future you just set it 100kp in the "in section" of keg im assuming? and then leave for a week? was just reading if you hve the correct connections you can gas through "beer out" section of keg.

still no luck with this one, if i press the release section on top of keg, can i try and start again? when i pore the beer the head comes out very gassy, but the beer is flat as a tack.
]i would suggest you now havew hat's known as CO2 break out..this occurs when the gas leaves the beer , as your pouring it...just wondering how high your reg is set too and how long and what diammeter your lines are. Yes you could release some ( not all) of the keg pressure , a bit at a time, and try nd get a good pour happening...its possible that you keg may have too much gas in it , that hasn't disolved into the beer yet

have another beer fermenting atm which should be ready by the weekend

Fergi- for the future you just set it 100kp in the "in section" of keg im assuming? and then leave for a week? was just reading if you hve the correct connections you can gas through "beer out" section of keg

yes you can also do this...it's based on the "soda stream" principle ( if you have ever seen how one works) This is in fact how i've been doing mine of late , with a combination of the force carb shake...but sending my gas"in" via the beer out tube...just make sure you have no other kegs connceted when you do this !
as per your first stamement...
i would suggest you now have what's known as CO2 break out..this occurs when the gas leaves the beer , as your pouring it...just wondering how high your reg is set too and how long and what diammeter your lines are. Yes you could release some ( not all) of the keg pressure , a bit at a time, and try nd get a good pour happening...its possible that you keg may have too much gas in it , that hasn't disolved into the beer yet
Yes you can send gas in via the beer out post......it's based on the "soda stream" principle ( if you have ever seen how one works) This is in fact how i've been doing mine of late , with a combination of the force carb shake...but sending my gas"in" via the beer out tube...just make sure you have no other kegs connceted when you do this !
And just for the record , there is Fergi ( not me lol) and fergthebrewer( me !)
Good luck
Ferg

is it stuffed? or can it be rescued?

ive had it at 40psi through out;

firstly for 3-4days
then tried fergethebrewer's suggestion and it seemed a little better
but now, day 7, it seems back to square one.

line must be 2m long? and diameter would be less than 1cm as an est.

should i release a bit of pressure every couple of hrs over a period of time, and reduce pressure for a couple of days?

i released some of the gas over a period of time and rocked the keg back and forth, i believe im getting very close, the only thing is when i pour it, the beer is 90% head.

perhaps release some more gas?

once it settles and ive had a couple of mouthfuls the beer actually is quite tasty!

the finished product.

still pouring way to much head, but started pouring it into a jug first, then transferring it to a glass.

tastes pretty good.

is it stuffed? or can it be rescued?

ive had it at 40psi through out;

firstly for 3-4days
then tried fergethebrewer's suggestion and it seemed a little better
but now, day 7, it seems back to square one.

line must be 2m long? and diameter would be less than 1cm as an est.

should i release a bit of pressure every couple of hrs over a period of time, and reduce pressure for a couple of days?

It's the internal diameter that matters

You can fix over/under carbonation in kegs, so don't stress :)

Latest posts

Back