Fresh Wort Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just put down 2 "fresh wort " kits and am interested in any comments on these type of kits.

1 is an EzyBrew Little Creatures Pale Ale (4.5 litres) and the other is a Brewers Selection Summer Ale (15 litres).

I wanted to try these for their simplicity......no dissolving, no extra ingredients, no mess, no washing up....just add water and yeast and away you go. (I'm lazy)

A bit dearer than the canned supermarket variety, but the home brew shop owner assured me that it was the way to go for a perfect beer.

Still a saving of at least $45 for 2 1/2 cartons.

Any comments or previous experiences with these type of kits would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers,

Welcome brewme to AHB

Well I gotta say I wasn't overly impressed with the FWK kit I got but that's not to say they are all bad. That was just my experience however in all fairness my it was mt 1st FWK. Actually it's been bottled for 2weeks so it's only drinkable now so I might crack a bottle tonight and see if my opinion changes on them.

Anyway here's a [topic="29845"]linky[/topic] to my FWK experience FWIW.

To be honest I reckon my kits and bits turned out better but I didn't pepper up the FWK in anyway and that's probably it's failing now.

I would think that the 4.5L ezybrew kits must be evaporated - just like a can of goop, except not as much. Doesn't really qualify as fresh wort does it?

Hi Brewme,
Welcome.
I have used quite a few fresh wort kits & they generally produce very drinkable beers.
It is possible to add a little more hops to some of these, but this totally depends on what you enjoy in your beer as far as aroma and bitterness is concerned.
I'm quite sure you will enjoy them.

Cheers
Roscoe

Welcome brewme to AHB

Well I gotta say I wasn't overly impressed with the FWK kit I got but that's not to say they are all bad. That was just my experience however in all fairness my it was mt 1st FWK. Actually it's been bottled for 2weeks so it's only drinkable now so I might crack a bottle tonight and see if my opinion changes on them.

Anyway here's a [topic="29845"]linky[/topic] to my FWK experience FWIW.

To be honest I reckon my kits and bits turned out better but I didn't pepper up the FWK in anyway and that's probably it's failing now.

Hmm i have never been inspired to buy a fwk just because of the freight (im never usually in the right place at the right time) if these were any good id give it a go.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Guess I just gotta wait 'till I pour one to taste it.

Got to taste better than the commercial beers I've been drinking.

Even put down a Coopers Draught a few weeks ago (use by date Jan 2001). Turned out OK, although a little dark.

Tried a few brews I had under the house (bottled 9 years ago). Still gassy and held a head.

Anyhow, I'm starting to ramble on, so I'll leave it there.

Thanks Again.

Cheers,

Well I'm gunna have to eat my words. :ph34r:

I got home threw a tallie of the FWK in the freezer. Went about the business of having dinner, putting the billy lids to bed yad, yada. Racked my APA to secondary, bit of a hydro taste test, was very happy with the results. Remembered the FWK sat down cracked the bottle and...

Well it has a good head creamy, nice fresh on the nose, hint of floral hops, swig... not bad bit sweeter than I was expecting, bit more bitter than the last time. Nice little malty body mid way thru with enough bitterness at the finish to wash some of the sweetness away. Not sensational but not offensive either. A solid quaffer if I ever had one and in a pinch would throw one down over a kits and bits. In fact my megaswill mates would probably it like because of the sweeter notes and less hoppy than my normal brews.

So I guess I have to say I would do one again considering the effort and taste. I basically did nothing but glug gluged the 15lt of wort, topped to 20lts and pitched. No other adjuncts or additives.

If I was to do another I would make it to 18-19lts and tea bag some hops maybe EKG's or something but that's it.

So Mr Brewme I think you might be on a winner and probably as close to an AG as a K&B brewer would be able to get IMO. :beerbang:

<snip>
Even put down a Coopers Draught a few weeks ago (use by date Jan 2001). Turned out OK, although a little dark.
[OT] I was given one of those a few months ago by a colleague, BBE some time in 2005, so its been sitting in the back of the pantry eyeing me off and just daring me to open it and throw it in the fermenter with some fluids and yummy sugars (I was thinking toucan).
Now, seeing as yours worked I'm inspired to actually use it, just for shits and giggles, but sadly I tossed the yeast. Damn, I should've kept the sachet and tried to propagate it, just to see what an abject failure looks like.
Anyhow, I'm starting to ramble on, so I'll leave it there.

Thanks Again.

Cheers,
Aye, cheers & nay bother!

Hey Brewme

I did a 15lt FWK "5 Malts Amber Ale" and its come out awesome :icon_drool2: . Best beer I've brewed to date. Its so good it inspired my to get into AG.

cheers

Back