French Saison 3711

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A3k, Kabboby, Stu,

What sort of temps are you mashing at to get that sort of attenuation ?

Everyone seems to be talking up 90% + attenuation, so is everyone mashing @ around 63 Deg. C ?

I'm planning on using this strain in a similar recipe to that of brewing classic styles, but thought I'd keep the OG down to 1035, which would still deliver a 4.5% beer for 90% + attenuation.

Does the low FG leave these beers tasing thin or does high carbonation help in this regard ?

Would a higher OG and high mash temp (resulting in the same 4.5% but higher FG) make for a more balanced beer ?

Lots of questions there. Any answers appreciated.

Cheers,

Lucky.

Hi Lucky,
I followed the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles aswell, but changed the hops & yeast due to availablility and last minute planning.
I mashed at 64 as mentioned in the recipe, but hadn't done any research into the yeast i got, so it didn't stop at the 1008 mentioned in the recipe.

As for your other questions, this is my first saison, and first time using this yeast, so i'll be no help until my beer is ready to drink.

Cheers,
Al

I totally agree with kabooby. The beers aren't thin despite the low FG. Plenty of body IMO.

I haven't mashed that low, between 65 and 67 with little difference except for one batch which had a good amount of crystal and dark malts which finished at 1010.

Well I kegged this one this morning and carbonated it an hour ago. I'm trying it now and am supprised by the body of this beer.
If anything, this beer seems a little cloying, so could probalby do with a little more bittering.

I'm pretty impressed. Massive belgian lace on it aswell.

Not really like a Hefe as i mentioned earlier other than the appearance.

I'll post back on here once it's had more than 1 hour conditioning.

Cheers,
Al

Don't be afraid to leave it for a while. Even though it may taste good now, it will get better after a few weeks.

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Well I kegged this one this morning and carbonated it an hour ago. I'm trying it now and am supprised by the body of this beer.
If anything, this beer seems a little cloying, so could probalby do with a little more bittering.

I'm pretty impressed. Massive belgian lace on it aswell.

Not really like a Hefe as i mentioned earlier other than the appearance.

I'll post back on here once it's had more than 1 hour conditioning.

Cheers,
Al

Hey Al, just out of interest what was your FG?
I've been meaning to try brewing a Saison for awhile & this thread inspired me to buy a pack of 3711 a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Kabooby,
I'll try and have some restraint and leave it for a few weeks then. My two other kegs are running low, so hopefully i can make them last.

Beers,
My FG was 1002 (From 1060) which i was amazed at. It really doesn't seem 1002 at all.
I'm considering making something completely different with this yeast as i'm impressed with it, but need to think of what.

For those people carb concious, this is probably a good yeast to use. The 7.5% counteracts that thought though.

Cheers
Al

About to try the same yeast for the first time in my first saison.

My plan was to start 18-20c controlled until the first krausen starts to die down, then add the candi sugar and allow it to ferment at ambient temperatures (within reason - if the day gets to 28c I'll rethink) to let the esters sing. Does anyone have an experience of an upper limit with this yeast in case it gets a little too warm?

Also - is there a huge difference between table sugar and candi sugar? Since this yeast is apparently so voracious I'm tempted to just add it as table sugar.

I just did my first saison with 3711. After some wide searching of other brew forums, decided to start it at 22 for 2 days and ramp it up 2 degrees every 2 days to 28. I never got to 28 because it was down to 1.000 after 4 days. After 3 weeks in the keg, it's saison-y but a little bland for my tastes. Next one I'll give it 66 for the saccharine rest and ramp the temp up to 28 by increasing 2 degrees per day.

I'm lead to believe that temps of 22 and under tend to accentuate lemon flavours in the yeast, so if that's what you want from it, ferment it lower for longer. I'm far from an expert though!

Cheers,

FB

Great timing, I just got a pack of this. I've recently brewed saisons with belle saison, and wyeast 3725 beire de garde. All nice but the 3725 is a clear winner. Sipping on one now. Next one will get the 3711. Keen to compare.

I would start at 27C then ramp up to 34C after a few days, otherwise I find the character quite neutral. I find the finishing gravity <1.002 after doing a lot of batches with it.

For me the Dupont Strain has a better flavour for a saison, but it is slower and can stall, although I have never seen it stall on a beer I have made.

Back