Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Vege rows this year are being turned from various breeds of pumpkin, watermelon and sweet potato's into Red and White wine grapes. Have grown green manure in them all winter (Oats, Vetch, Lupins) and grape cuttings will go in after the last of the cold. Woohooooo!!!!

I still have 4 big green manured vege patches for vege's, but im wanting to plant things you don't have to tend to daily or every second day, I don't have time for that much attention to a vege patch.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Wild tomatoes always taste heaps better.

Got no idea what they are going to be until they fruit

:super:
Well don't go counting your bruschettas just yet wild boy Stu. I had these things spring up like weeds everywhere after mistakenly turning old plants and tomatoes into the compost.
Even after picking out the most robust specimens and planting them, they only ever seemed to grow abundant leaf material but never fruit for some reason.
Your mileage may vary however.

Tomato-Bruschetta-The-Menu-Venue-Isle-of-Wight.jpg

(serving suggestion)..

Dave70 said:
Well don't go counting your bruschettas just yet wild boy Stu. I had these things spring up like weeds everywhere after mistakenly turning old plants and tomatoes into the compost.
Even after picking out the most robust specimens and planting them, they only ever seemed to grow abundant leaf material but never fruit for some reason.
Your mileage may vary however.

Tomato-Bruschetta-The-Menu-Venue-Isle-of-Wight.jpg

(serving suggestion)..
Non fruiting tomatoes .. B)

wide eyed and legless said:
You may have planted hybrid tomato's Dave, the resulting seedlings that were coming up was the tomato's attempt to revert back to its original type.(types)
At the time I accused Bunnings of selling me GMO tomato plants originally..

Ducatiboy stu said:
Hope you kept the receipt
My receipt normally goes something like 'yeah, I dunno, it just started to smell funny and stopped working'. Looks down at cordless drill - looks at lady - shrugs shoulders.

My Vege rows this year are being turned from various breeds of pumpkin, watermelon and sweet potato's into Red and White wine grapes. Have grown green manure in them all winter (Oats, Vetch, Lupins) and grape cuttings will go in after the last of the cold. Woohooooo!!!!

I still have 4 big green manured vege patches for vege's, but im wanting to plant things you don't have to tend to daily or every second day, I don't have time for that much attention to a vege patch.
Jeez mate, I hope you're not going to turn into a wine wanker.

****, ****, ****, ****, ****, fuckity ****.

I just lost 6 jalapeño seedlings and 6 loofah seedlings to a stupid accident. Long story.

I'm going large with jalapeños as they are my favourite and, in my opinion, best all-round chilli out there. Loofahs seeds were a gift from the old Chinese lady next door. Good potting mix, nurtured, watered by hand every day, just coming up after 10 days etc etc.

Put the big tray with the 12 small pots on top of a big pot (with my 3rd attempt at choko - whole other story) next to my taters to water with a sprinkler. Half an hour later, weight of water overbalances tray and dumps them all into a garlic patch full of mulch, making recovery all but impossible. So I jump in under the sprinkler, trying to salvage, get soaked, dog thinks it's a great game and jumps in also, making life a bit difficult. May have saved one of each.

I spend more of my mental energy worrying about my seedlings than I do worrying about who exactly is PM.

But a biplane tiger moth flew over my house so the afternoon wasn't a complete write-off.

Oh well, as they say; it's easy to be a farmer on a good day. But there aren't too many of those.

****-oh.

Tuff times.

How can u **** up choko? I left 2 choko's out untill they started to pop, then jammed them in 2 pots. Grew like mad. But then got told yet can't handle frosts so had to give them away.

I'm only growing the 2 chilli plants Stu have me, everyone grows Chilli's around here and can't keep up to volume so I get given them by the shopping bag full.

I kind of lie, I'm growing a chocolate ghost as work, with a couple of them lime Chilli's.

Grape cuttings will be going into the soil this weekend.
Mmmmmmmmm.

My seedlings are loving the warmer weather we've had this last week. Rocket is shooting up quickly, chillis are showing themselves, broccolini is producing plenty.. Still no sign of my strawberries or tomatoes though.

Yeah, it's a bit embarrassing when a Master Farmer such as myself kills two chokos in a row. I planted them in beautiful potting mix, had them in a perfect possie and watered regularly. It turns out I may have killed them with kindness. My 3rd attempt I just chucked it on top of dirt, kicked a bit of dirt over it and then ignored it. Now it's powering.

Enjoy your chardonnay and shiraz and you'll obviously have to buy a BMW.

I'm bringing Jalapeno plants with me when I move, like you they are my go to chilli an **** paying $30 a kilo at colesworths.

I'm maturing them on in pots, you are welcome to a couple.

edit:

that's plants not pods :p

Back