Food Gardening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Horseradish = Poor mans Wassabi, easy to grow, too easy it will spread all over the place if you don't keep it contained.
Would have to agree with wide there

I planted some in the veg patch and have dug it put twice ,pretty decent size holes as well , but it keeps coming back

Would never plant it in the ground again

Inspired me to go out and dig mine up and replant in a bigger pot. Got enough for a nice bit of sauce, and replanted some rhizomes in a corner of the garden where hopefully it will not spread to far.

Yeah just dug a bit of mine up for a look , didn't dig deep though ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1440392024.435755.jpg
It's going to be there for a long time haha

I dont understand why people grow shit like that, unless of coarse you have plenty of time for gardening.

I have 6" high tomato seedlings growing in random places in the back yard from god knows what seed

Going to let them go and see what I get

Spohawk do you eat the leaves, from the horseradish, I have eaten them in salads to give the salad a bit of heat.

Stu I planted tomato seeds yesterday and wondered why I was doing it because there are more than enough plants already growing in the garden, I only grew 2 types in the garden last year a cherry tomato and money maker and I remember the beds where I put them, so I have a good idea what they are.

Spuds are now in it is the latest I have planted them, got some leeks growing in the nursery pots which are about 600 mm high have managed to put one lot in a bed just waiting for a bed to clear to put the remainder in.

Planted the spuds in mushroom compost as the video. From the dyslexic Yorkshire man Allotment Dairy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNml1YeDS5M

Ducatiboy stu said:
I have 6" high tomato seedlings growing in random places in the back yard from god knows what seed

Going to let them go and see what I get
Last season I transplanted rogue seedlings from the compost/worm farm. I ended up with Roma and Cherry mostly, and got a pretty good crop.
I'm sowing Moneymaker seeds today, along with Lemon and Sweet Basil.
Also a few Alyssum and Marigold, to hopefully piss off the pests.

My tomatoes have been fruiting like crazy all winter. 2 varieties, Roma and Tommy Toe from Diggers. It's been pretty mild up here and for the few cold spells I just made sure they were well mulched and I covered them with my cabbage moth netting to prevent frost damage. I'll be picking another 2 dozen or so this afternoon.

WEAL, great vid. I'm going to use that next week when I plant my spring potatoes. (I plant 2 crops a year of taters, Feb & August). I've tried a cylinder made of star pickets and chook-wire before with mixed results but this method looks better. Cheers.

Spowaw, I don't know what the gardening is like in W.A but here in Vic I only have one crack at the leaves and that is when they have just emerged late spring early summer next to it I have a Sea Kale which is also a one chance, forced in early spring, one meal and that is it I wonder why I keep it.

Lincoln, I wish I could get 2 crops of spuds, did you see the other video of his crop from seven pots, unbelievable, I used to fret about what the Brits missed out on not having spuds until Raleigh brought them back from the colonies but having discovered swede I figure they were doing alright without the spud.

Wild tomatoes always taste heaps better.

Got no idea what they are going to be until they fruit

:super:

Deep fried is my new favourite way to eat Brussel sprouts! My Cabbage and broccoli harvests are starting to die off, but the sprouts are starting to come into their own. My Pontiac spuds are still giving too- I reckon i'll get 30-35kg from the kilo of seed potatoes.

Chips, deep fried sprouts and beers down the shed sound like a good arvo!

Cheers,
RB

I like the idea of brussel sprouts being eaten in that fashion (ie: by someone other than me).

Been too cold and frosty here to get much in but broccoli and carrots have shown their heads. Got various potatoes chitting and a few vege scraps with seeds (pumpkins, tomatoes, bullet chilli, etc) in the ground to see what happens.
Got a million things to plant at the beginning of Spring to see what this Tasmanian environment can provide.

Red Baron said:
Deep fried is my new favourite way to eat Brussel sprouts! My Cabbage and broccoli harvests are starting to die off, but the sprouts are starting to come into their own. My Pontiac spuds are still giving too- I reckon i'll get 30-35kg from the kilo of seed potatoes.

Chips, deep fried sprouts and beers down the shed sound like a good arvo!

Cheers,
RB
Lightly steamed Brussel sprouts then fried with, black sesame seed and garlic, cauliflower dipped in egg and deep fried. made cabbage rolls last night, recipe courtesy of a Russian girlfriend I had, tomorrow creamy cabbage, a simple recipe of cabbage cooked with onions, garlic and a tin of condensed mushroom soup and milk. Breakfast, Irish, fried cabbage and bacon, to die for.

Brussel sprouts lightly steamed and covered in butter and cracked pepper

Also very nice pan fried or roasted

I had them once with bacon & garlic (Polish recipe) and they were palatable. Never been repeated.

Latest posts

Back