Flat Breads

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turkish Pide -

small_IMG_3899.jpg

One of these was made by me.. the other by my 9 year old helper. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to work out which is which.

And some stuffed with spicy mince -

small_IMG_3902.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Made some Naan today following a recipe I found somewhere and lost the source... dough turned out a little thick and brittle, i.e. would tear instead of stretch (bakers... how do I fix this?) but still turned out some nice breads!

2uo5o2b.jpg

Yes, crispy :p, a lot of the char is from the garlic powder I sprinkled on before I brushed with oil.

eg4thk.jpg

Made some Naan today following a recipe I found somewhere and lost the source... dough turned out a little thick and brittle, i.e. would tear instead of stretch (bakers... how do I fix this?) but still turned out some nice breads!

2uo5o2b.jpg

Yes, crispy :p, a lot of the char is from the garlic powder I sprinkled on before I brushed with oil.

eg4thk.jpg

char is good Adam. Replicates an authentic tandoor cooked naan

Ive posted this before, but I feel it's worth a repeat, cause it's so freakin nice!!!

It's puri (an Northern Indian style bread), And it's quite simple to make, beautiful just on it's own but awesome for mopping up curry on your plate!

Ingredients

600ml buttermilk
self raising flour

method

1. Take buttermilk out of fridge for a couple of hours and allow to warm up to room temperature.
2. Put 5 cups of SRF into a mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and pour the buttermilk in.
3. mix it with a spoon until it becomes a thick creamy sauce.
4. cover with a teatowel and let it sit for at about 2 hours. If you're doing this in winter particularly in the southern states, you may need to gently warm it by placing the mixing bowl into a larger bowl with hot water. (this is important)
5. add more handfulls of flour until it becomes a dough that you can pick up and knead.
6. take it out of the bowl and onto the bench and knead it for about 20 mins, adding more flour to make sure the dough is fairly dry but still nice & soft.
7. Now what I do at this point is split it up into 4 or 5 chunks about the size of my fist
8. take one of those chunks and roll it out about as thick as thick sausages, then tare off into smaller chunks about 2 - 3 inches long
9. Roll this out fairly thin, it should roll out to the size of a small dinner plate.
10. heat up sunflower or canola oil in a fry pan until it just begins to smoke.
11. roll out the bit of dough from step 9 again to regain it's shape and then throw it down onto the hot oil.
12. it will immediately start to expand and sizzle. give it about 5 - 10 seconds, then using a pair tongs, flip it over and pat it down, give it another 5 - 10 seconds (before it starts to burn), then remove and place on paper towel.
13. repeat steps 8 - 12 until you've got enough, adding more oil when it runs out.

A chunk of dough the size of a fist makes enough for two people. Then once you've had enough, you can freeze these chunks in plastic containers, and then the next time you make a curry, simply thaw it out, roll it out, fry it up, and eat eat eat!

These were delicious. Ate with curry and with felafels. My gf was still talking about them 2 days later. Thanks for the recipe, def going to make it again. Still have two balls frozen, one is the goods for tomorrow night. And the leftover 400ml of buttermilk was great in the Sunday pancakes.

2uo5o2b.jpg

eg4thk.jpg
Adam, you need proper bread flour, plain flour doesnt have enough protein and make sure you knead it well untill it becomes stretchy...and you need to roll the dough out really thin

[quote name='O'Henry' post='600427' date='Feb 23 2010, 09:55 PM']These were delicious. Ate with curry and with felafels. My gf was still talking about them 2 days later. Thanks for the recipe, def going to make it again. Still have two balls frozen, one is the goods for tomorrow night. And the leftover 400ml of buttermilk was great in the Sunday pancakes.[/quote]

Yep +1, happy with the ones I made last nite to go with some left-over curry, even got the thumbs up from the uni student son. Might have to defrost my frozen balls for tonight as well.

Back