How to Make Nut Butter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Brew

Reaction score
Very simple from start to finish about 15 minutes is required to make some home made nut butter. Recently had jaw surgery to correct a reversed horizontal under bite and still recovering with plenty of time off work and no eating yet or consumption of my beloved ale. So I made three nut butters this morning because I felt like something fat and sweet. It's a very cheap and quick way to make your own nut butter and a world of nuts to experiment with for different flavours. I buy my nuts at markets which make it a lot cheaper.

What you need:
Food processor (to hold a decent amount of nuts)
Spatula
Cake or bread pan (round or square)
Saucepan (For melting coconut oil)
Jars

Peanut butter:
300g or 2 cups of unsalted peanuts
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
2 teaspoons of honey
2 teaspoons of coconut oil

Almond/Peanut butter:
150g Almonds
150g peanuts
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
2 teaspoons of honey
2 teaspoons of coconut oil (possibly more depending on mix)

Cacao/Peanut butter:
300g Peanuts
1/2 cup of cacao nibs (can use powder of cocoa powder but I like the intense flavour)
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1.5 cups of raw sugar
2 teaspoons of coconut oil (possibly more depending on mix)

Process:
1. Heat oven to 180C.
2. Add nuts to pan and place in oven for 3 minutes
3. Take out, shake around and place back in oven for 4-5 minutes
4. Take out of oven and let cool for 5 minutes
5. After cooled add nuts to food processor and process for a minute.
6. Scrape down any nuts from side and process for a further 2 minutes or until smooth.
7. Scrape down side again and add salt and honey and process for another 2 minutes.
8. Check consistency and add coconut oil if needed. (Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan first)
9. Once you are happy with the consistency, scoop out and into some clean jars.
10. Cleanup and enjoy.

I place my jars in the fridge to get it back to a smooth state as the coconut oil returns to a cooler temperature. You can store in cupboard too just depends how you like consistency.

You can use any salt you like and any oil you like but I find coconut oil works best for me. You can also skip the roasting stage if you buy roasted peanuts but I like the process of roasting.

Nut Butter.JPG

Been making peanut butter for years. I have a screw press juicer that if you change one little gizmo for another little gizmo changes it froma juicer to a producer of nut butters. I just pour a kilo of peanuts down the spout and out comes peanut butter.

i do find that using a nut oil to soften it works better. I use peanut oil (obviously) or maccadamia oil.

If you use salted peanuts you don't need to add any extra salt and i find that the salt level in the PB is just right.

And no honey. Sweet peanut butter... whatever next!

Local heath food shop is where I got mine, I think I paid about $25 for 500g. Think it was from a GoVita shop and 1kg is a lot but it does have its uses.

Airgead, do you only make peanut butter or do you make other butters too?

Just the peanut for now. I should get adventurous but peanut butter is so good...

Latest posts

Back