Flat Beer In Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoopy2

Reaction score
Hi first time posting. I have started brewing again after a bit of a break. My problem is my beer in the kegs are coming out flat. 1 beer is cloudy and the other is just flat. I have gas connected to the keg in my fridge. What has happened and how can I get the beer bubbling if possible
Thanks in advance

did you give it enough time in the keg to carbonate before you started pouring?

Yes it has been in the keg for about 7 weeks. The temp is between 1 & 4 deg. I have had the gas on for 2days on 300

Yes it has been in the keg for about 7 weeks. The temp is between 1 & 4 deg. I have had the gas on for 2days on 300
[/quot

two days nowhere near long enough to gas, turn down to 80/100 kp and wait another week, dont try rushing it.

is it pouring lots of foam ? if so, you might have overcarbonated it

Yes it's pouring lots of foam but there is no carbonation once the head settles
DU99 don't know what you mean?

Natural carbonation allows yeast to remain in the beer. Sugar is then added to the beer in its container and then sealed. Fermentation kicks off again as the yeast eats the new sugar addition. When yeast ferments, it releases CO2 which is then absorbed into the liquid
this article might HELP

No didn't add sugar. When I was brewing a few years ago I never had this problem. It must be cause I didn't gas once beer was put in the keg.
Thanks for your replies

The temp is between 1 & 4 deg. I have had the gas on for 2days on 300

It is over carbonated mate, sorry.

I put a warm keg in the fridge and crank it to 300 over night and its about right 24 hours later... Thats warm going in. Cold beer will adsorb C02 much quicker than warm beer, so 300 for 2 days into a cold keg is WAY too much.

Take the gas of it and open the release valve over night, shut the release valve on the way to work tomorrow, when you get home in the evening, still NOT reconnecting the gas, pour a beer - using the C02 that is in the beer to serve it - even if it is a dribble, stick with it - this way you can get some C02 out, by using it to serve and you might just get a drinkable beer...

in short - its over carbed.

2c.

Cheers

Edit: BTW if you are gonna have your keg cold for weeks, just have the gas at serving pressure and it should be perfect in around 10 days or so... no chance of over carbing ;)

you could also chill it to temp then hook up to beer out at serving pressure and rock and shake it till it stops bubbling leave for 20mins and repeat till it wont bubble anymore then you connect it up to the gas in for 2-4 days and it should be fine no way you can overcarb if you carb it at serving pressure, and connecting the beer out to gas and shaking and rocking it will absorb the c02 faster but cant overcarb it. of coarse you need it at serving temp as colder beer absorbs more c02

Yeh but the thing is the keg was not cold and I connected the gas at about 80-100 and it still came out heady and very cloudy. I thought it would have cleared by now but not. I then connected another keg that was in fridge overnight gas same and did the same. This was the first time they had gas in them. That's when I cranked up the gas thinking it would carbonate. The kegs I have are not the pin release so how would I release the gas.
Sorry for all the questions

I am lost to as what has happened...

It has been in the keg for 7 weeks, yes? warm?

Then you put it in the fridge at 80-100 - for how long?, poured and it was cloudy and heady?

So you cranked it to 300 for 2 days and it is now over carbed.

If you don't have pin release, take the hose off your gas disconnect and put the disconnect on with no hose, thus opening the gas in.. or trying pouring without the gas connected as mentioned before but this will take a while and a bit of patience with dribble pouring.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Back