Flander Red Cereal Stepped Mash Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded and Bitter

Reaction score
Hi All,

Gearing up to do a Flanders Red. Slurry is from my Funky Saison - Belle Saison with WL Flemish blend. 20% Polenta for the cereal mash.

I have wild brews but the mash schedule on page 143 says to add the boiling cereal mash to raise to the 63 degree step, then infuse for 72 and 76 degree steps.

I'm thinking the Belle Saison will rip through this and leave little for the bugs.

I know I could do a 68-70 single infusion but I like getting technical with my more special brews.

Thinking I could:
1) get a new vial of flemish or roselare - but I have a fantastic slurry already.
2) use the cereal mash for the 63 to 72 degree infusion step; or
3) add half the cereal mash for the 50 to 63 step and the other half for the 63 to 72 step.

The Funky Saison was quite a dry mash but there was still enough dextrins and starch for it to already be getting a little funky.

I think my preference would be to overshoot and make a beer too sour needing blending with a fresh beer than one which doesnt quite make it.

It will be a 30L batch in a glass demijohn.

Advice/thoughts/suggestions and prevoious experience much welcome.

Cheers, Jaded

Latest posts

Back