Five Star 5.2 Ph Stabilizer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sah

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been experiencing efficiency differences of up to 10% where the only significant variables between brews has been the water profile (addition of gypsum & epsom salts).

I'm speculating that it's a pH problem. I haven't tested it yet but I've got some test strips in the mail (cheers Ross).

I was also going to get my hands on some phosphoric acid too. However, I've discovered a product from Five Star called 5.2 pH Stabilizer. There is a little bit of information around about it. For example, <a href=http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/4665.html#4665-7>this</a> from HomeBrewDigest. I didn't have any success searching this forum.

I haven't been able to find much information about how much of this stuff you get in the container or how much of it you need to use. Grain and Grape have a product listed called "5.2 pH Stabilizer", no brand name, no picture, no information. Its $25. I'll contact them for some more information.

Has anyone used this stuff? Can you tell us a little bit about it?

thanks
Scott

There's a lot of discussion on brewboard about it, the consensus seems to be that it's useful but can't cover every circumstance. There are certain mash compositions that will throw it out no matter what, such as a lot of dark malt in soft water, or a lot of light malt in hard water.

Go ahead and ring G&G i'm sure it won't do you any harm to start using it. Much easier than trying to work out gypsum/epsom/chalk/acid additions for every circumstance.

just-cj made a quick reference to it in this post. Not a lot of info but sounds like a positive review. First I had heard of it and would be interested to hear how you go if you get some.

Good luck.

Yes, I use it in every brew I do, and it works as advertised . . . for me. Some people have reported that it doesn't do much for them, but I think they have extremely hard water. Some info about the product. It's a granulated white powder (it kind of looks like PBW or laundry detergent) and comes in a plastic jar (maybe a liter-size jar?) that I think weighs a pound/450 grams. You add one tablespoon for every 20 liters of finished beer, not brew water -- one tablespoon is 21 grams of the stuff, by the way. Add it to the mash at mash in, along with your gypsum or calcium chloride (that your mash needs for proper conversion anyway). You don't need to add any to the sparge water -- in fact, I don't add anything at all to my sparge water, and I still haven't had any pH troubles with my last runnings. I haven't detected any flavors in the finished beer, but some people say that they can.

Using Stabilizer, my mash pH is always 5.2-5.3, no matter what the grain bill. After sparging, my last runnings are never higher than 5.6 (I checked my notes last weekend after I posted previously to confirm). I don't brew without it these days -- and I think the only time I didn't use it was when I was making a pilsner and I wanted to see if I could get the pH right all by myself (I could, but it was a pain).

Hope that helps.

Many thanks just-cj. I'll go off and order myself some. I'm haven't heard from G&G yet.

Cheers
Scott

I got a call from G&G today. They've just sold their last tub and they have a supply issue. They won't have it available again for a couple of months.

Does anyone know of an Australian vendor that has this in stock? Or a US vendor that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for handling?

I guess I could look into a bulk buy if there is enough interest?

Cheers
Scott

Craftbrewer is hoping to have in stock before Christmas.

Cheers Ross

Hey there Adelaide AGers,

Has anyone given this stuff a go with Adelaide tap water?

I usually use rain water for Pilsners but I need to go a long way out of my way to get it. I am considering substituting the rain water for tap water + Ph Stabilizer.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples experiences before I lash out and buy a tub.

Cheers!

Edit: Spelling

has anyone in melbourne used this stuff and feel like reviewing it? did it make a big difference or is our water pretty ok to start with?

has anyone in melbourne used this stuff and feel like reviewing it? did it make a big difference or is our water pretty ok to start with?
G'day lucas. I got some of G&G recently, but I've only used it once and that brew is still in the fermenter/cc'ing. The beer is a snpa clone and I must say it does taste great so far. I occasionally measure the last runnings but usually forget. :D

Any update on this Razz? Or on the product in general (anyone)?

I have just started using it and so far only kegged one beer. It was a house APA and I couldnt taste any difference. There were also no complaints when the entire keg was drunk at my clubs 30th anniversary party last weekend.

I checked the mash pH and the stuff works, but it didnt solve my slight chill haze problem that I hoped it would :(

Any update on this Razz? Or on the product in general (anyone)?
Thanks for the prompt bennyc. I have now made two ales, SNPA clone and NS summer ale, and I must say they have a very crisp finish. Very nice beers indeed ! I can't say how much influence the pH 5.2 had on these beers and I still forgot to check the final runnings. I'm doing a CAP this week so I will check.

I have been using this stuff this year ever since I had a few issues with my % numbers and changed to a false bottom and increased batch size.
I just prep my rain or tap water as previous.
Chuck 5.2 in the mash with the gypsum or calcium chloride.
It makes it way too easy and not that much in $$ per batch.
More sugars = better eff so all good and the citric/phos acid now just sit on the shelf.
I think it would be a great addition for smaller batch brewing that suffer from poor eff.

BTW: I have only batch sparged with it!

- Luke
More white powders in bags and jars than the local night club. :p

Hey Lukes,

I would have thought you wouldn't need to add Gypsum or chloride if your using 5.2?

Rook

Hey Lukes,

I would have thought you wouldn't need to add Gypsum or chloride if your using 5.2?

Rook

You don't need to add them to adjust the pH, but should still add them as flour additives, sulfate for hoppy beers and chloride for maltiness. This is straight from Charlie Talley a founder of Five Star.

I use it all the time so that (frankly) I just don't have to think about pH. Melbourne water is pretty good, so I just throw in the 5.2 and not think any more.

A tub will last you a long time.

I spent part of this morning listening to the Basic Brewing Radio double episode on sanitation and the guy who invented HySan reckons you can use chlorine bleach if the pH is below 6 (preferably 4, I think), which you can achieve with some vinegar and pH strips.

I thought to myself "Another use for 5.2."

And for those that are interested and with good scales a 23L batch need 11g... I feel better measuring it than using a tablespoon.

Latest posts

Back