First time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burp

Reaction score
G’day Guys,

New to this being my first time. I have bought some Snowy Mountain Pale Ale from Australian Home Brewing. The instructions are a little hard to understand.

Guys, what is “steeping”? I’ve googled but can’t find a clear definition.

“Ferment between 18-24* which is fine but for how long? It’s not mentioned.

Cheers.

Al.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    2.1 MB
Steeping normally means to soak malted barley etc. at about 70ºC for about an hour. It's not needed with the ingredients in the attachment to your post, so just do not concern yourself with that.
Unfortunately, the term steeping in your recipe is a bit of a misnomer. In your case it simple means to let it stand as is after you've completed the boil with the last of the hops before straining off the liquid.
Looks like it should make a decent brew.
If you can, preferably ferment towards the lower end of the temperature range of 18-24ºC as recommended, as it will give you a cleaner beer with less off flavours. How long to ferment depends on how quickly your yeast does its job. Don't rely on a time frame for this. Measure your starting gravity and your finishing gravity to make sure it's within the expected attenuation range for your yeast. A hydrometer is your friend here.
Most longer term brewers will use a dedicated fridge with an external temperature controller to set the exact desired temperature.
Good luck.

Back