First Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faithy

Reaction score
I just completed my first partial mash :p It is a lot easier than I was expecting too.

I decided to make a Lager for my new keg. As it was my first Partial, I decided to keep it reasonably easy. I added 2.5kg of Pilsner malt to a large grain bag and mashed it on the stove top. I added the grain to 5L of water and held it at 56C for 30 minutes (I know a protein rest is not considered necessary for fully modified 2 row malt but I decided to give it a try). I then added 2L of boiling water and brought the temp up to 65C which I held for 45 minutes. I then brought the temp up to 70C for 20 minutes before raising it to 75C to finish. I sparged with 5L of 76C water into the kettle. I also steeped 250g of Carahell (?) at 71C for 20 minutes then strained into the kettle too. After bringing the wort to the boil, I added 1.5kg of liquid LME. I added 40g of Hallertau hops at 60 minutes (from end of boil), 15g at 30m, 15g at 15m, 15g at 5 m and 15g at flame out. I then chilled the wort and strained it into my fermenter with 10L of cold water. I ended up with 22L of 21C wort so I pitched my yeast starter which was looking very healthy. My OG was 1045 at 21C which is what I was aiming for.

I am planning on making a Pilsner in two weeks in a similar way. I will only be using 1.5kg of Pilsner malt and I won't use any cara. I will be adding 400g of yellow box honey to lighten the body though. I have 100g of Saaz hops in the freezer but only intend on using 60g all up. As the Saaz hops are quite citrussy and a little spicy, I am going to add 2 or 3 lemons to the secondary fermenter and maybe a couple of granny smith apples. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions before I try this?

Cheers,
Josh

Well done mate. Just a couple of things.

1 - No need to steep speciality malts separately. You could have added them to the mash.
2 - You may have been better adding the LME at flameout. Your boil would have been very concentrated and this affects hop utilisation.

Other than that looks the goods.

Thanks for the advice Mark. I remember reading about less hop oils and resins being extracted at higher specific gravities but forgot. I will try adding the LME at flame out with my Pilsner. I will steep for 15 minutes to be safe, I think.

Thanks again.

I am planning on making a Pilsner in two weeks in a similar way. I will only be using 1.5kg of Pilsner malt and I won't use any cara. I will be adding 400g of yellow box honey to lighten the body though. I have 100g of Saaz hops in the freezer but only intend on using 60g all up. As the Saaz hops are quite citrussy and a little spicy, I am going to add 2 or 3 lemons to the secondary fermenter and maybe a couple of granny smith apples. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions before I try this?

Cheers,
Josh

I'd be inclined to leave the apples out. Green apple flavour is usually considered a fault in beers (acetylaldehyde).

Yep, I'd hate the taste of apples in a pilsner. I'd leave the apples out for sure. I'd leave the lemons out too, but that's just my 2c. Honey is a nice addition though.

Back