First Dunkelweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skip the carafa for the 2nd batch, makes a more traditional hefeweizen... should give you a good reference point for what the carafa does for your beer.
Made this way you can make up the beer without the carafa, split it between your two FVs, then add the carafa into one...

Glot said:
Thought I would give Carniebrew's recipe a go in half quantity. Anyone got a polite suggestion for a recipe to use up the other half of the cans? Even a variation on this one.
Do you not have the space to do full batches? I'd make a full batch if you have the equipment, alternatively, why not make a dunkle and a straight out wheat beer if you have 2 fermenters?

JD

I have the room but it takes me too long to drink a full batch and I would rather experiment with different beers. If I make one I think I would like more off, then I will do a full.
Like the idea of no Caraffa for one. Good way to learn the effects.

Go for it. No harm in experimenting. The only person you have to satisfy is yourself. I'm drinking Carnie's recipe right now and loving it. Who knew K&K could be so good. I admit though, it was an acquired taste. I didn't like it at first but it has grown on me. Alot. My house dunkel for now.

Happy to add to this that I recently found a packet of wb-06 in my garage fridge, I completely forgot I had. It was a month out of date, but has been in the fridge for at least 10 months, so I thought I'd give it a go in a small batch simple hefe recipe. I hadn't had any success with my early wb-06 recipes, and once I discovered 3068, I never considered going back. However, one thing I'd never tried was wb-06 at 17C, which is where I ended up with the 3068 liquid yeast.

So I did this (based on the "Harold-is-Weizen") hefe recipe from Brewing Classic Styles):

8 litre batch, 1054/1016 OG/FG, 5.5% abv after bottling

1.5kg CBW Bavarian Wheat LME
12gm Hallertau Mitt (4.8%) @ 30m - 14.5 IBU

WB-06, fermented at 17C.

Doesn't get a lot simpler than that, right? On first tasting at bottling time I wasn't quite sure this had worked....but I knew I was a bit anti wb-06. But I opened one last week, after a month in the bottle, and it's very, very close to my previous 3068 @ 17C brews. I was really surprised...and very bloody happy about it. Would have no hesitation brewing that again. I took a bottle to a recent "hoppy hour" tasting I have with a few fellow home brewers at work, and it went over a treat.

carniebrew said:
Happy to add to this that I recently found a packet of wb-06 in my garage fridge, I completely forgot I had. It was a month out of date, but has been in the fridge for at least 10 months, so I thought I'd give it a go in a small batch simple hefe recipe. I hadn't had any success with my early wb-06 recipes, and once I discovered 3068, I never considered going back. However, one thing I'd never tried was wb-06 at 17C, which is where I ended up with the 3068 liquid yeast.

So I did this (based on the "Harold-is-Weizen") hefe recipe from Brewing Classic Styles):

8 litre batch, 1054/1016 OG/FG, 5.5% abv after bottling

1.5kg CBW Bavarian Wheat LME
12gm Hallertau Mitt (4.8%) @ 30m - 14.5 IBU

WB-06, fermented at 17C.

Doesn't get a lot simpler than that, right? On first tasting at bottling time I wasn't quite sure this had worked....but I knew I was a bit anti wb-06. But I opened one last week, after a month in the bottle, and it's very, very close to my previous 3068 @ 17C brews. I was really surprised...and very bloody happy about it. Would have no hesitation brewing that again. I took a bottle to a recent "hoppy hour" tasting I have with a few fellow home brewers at work, and it went over a treat.
I too was anti wb-06, especially as i have done a basic hefe with WLP380 and found the phenolics to be superior, but let's be honest wb-06 does well. Glad you feel the same.

Back