First Dunkelweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will do. not too sure if ive got a good seal on my FV.
there is no bubbling out my blow off tube.

Before anyone gets upset about me looking at the airlock... generally you should get some movement in the first few days. especially if the brew is foaming.

I'm using my older FV (the one i usually just use for bulk priming then bottling, and i think the ribbers might be RS. I'll swap it for glad wrap tonight. might help to loose some temperature too if there is only a thin membrane on top.
do you need to put a rubber band around the top when using this method? I haven't done it before...

Use the rubber o ring in the lid of the fermenter.
cheers
LB

Yeah, make it look something like this:

fermentor.jpg

Carnie brew.....wtf....is that the elastic from a pair of underwear that holds on your temp probe....???

lol looks like his daks on the fermenter..

Haha...sorry, not my fermenter...I just did a google image search on 'glad wrap on fermenter' and that was the first hit that looked anything like what we're after! Didn't even look below the o-ring before posting it...GOLD.

Looks like the image is from this post on the coopers.com.au brewing forum, from a guy named Muddy Waters from NSW. Takes until post #19 before someone has a go at him about his undie elastic!

Don't risk taking the lid off now just to change to glad wrap, mate. If you are that keen to use glad wrap, wait until your next brew.

Can I mill grains for this sort of use in a food processor? I am thinking unused would stay fresher if it was unmilled. Can it be and is it an advantage to freeze unused? I like this style of beer and this sounds like a good project to dip my toes into the water of moving away from kits.

You can, but as i only used 150g, maybe just put the grains in a small ziplock, get rid of the excess air and use a rolling pin to crush the grains. I think if you go to fine (which would be easy to do in a food processor you can start geting bits you dont want in your beer.

Beer is tasting good. Not quite as full on flavor as the hefeweizen brewed without the carafa special, which may be due to the poor temp control, or the increase in biscuitty flavor from the grains. I reckon next time i might drop back to 100g

Alex, it may progress with time. I haven't touched the dunkel i put down earlier in this thread. I always let mine go for a month. (only 10 days to go before i have a bottle). Also WB-06 sets like cement on the sides of my fermenter. Never had that issues with any other yeast (i clean them out straight after bottling)

rheffera said:
Alex, it may progress with time. I haven't touched the dunkel i put down earlier in this thread. I always let mine go for a month. (only 10 days to go before i have a bottle). Also WB-06 sets like cement on the sides of my fermenter. Never had that issues with any other yeast (i clean them out straight after bottling)
You should get into your wheat beers earlier, I find they change very little between 1-2 weeks old and a couple of months old, then they start to go downhill. Sneak one now and see what you think.

carniebrew said:
You should get into your wheat beers earlier, I find they change very little between 1-2 weeks old and a couple of months old, then they start to go downhill. Sneak one now and see what you think.
I totally agree with this.

Yeah I agree with Carniebrew. they prime up well due to the low flocculation of the yeast (i assume that's why). After 2 weeks they are good to go usually.
I'm going to put on a 'normal' hefeweizen this weekend with some 3068 i saved from the yeast cake. I washed it a couple of times.
I'm going to duplicate a recipe i did earlier this year, but with WB06, so i can compare the flavour profile. 1 tin of coopers wheat beer, 600g wheat died malt, 500 ldme. Wham bam thank you ma'am.
Its the first time i have tried re-using yeast

carniebrew said:

I totally agree with this.
In that case i shall change my imbibing practises RE wheat beers. I'll pop a dunkel in the fridge and drink it tommorow.

Well i have imbibed the dunkel. Low head for the style but whatever.

Smell: Wheat
Taste: Wheaty, Sort of chocolatey. Coudn't really pick out bananna or clove individually but there was a phenol flavour there thats for sure.

It sure has improved since i tasted the hydro sample a few weeks ago.

carniebrew said:
Keep it simple and try this:

1 can Coopers Wheat Beer
1 can Coopers Wheat LME

150gm Carafa Special 1

20 litres in the fermenter, use 3068 at 17C.

Should give you 1051/1015 (5.1% after bottling), 19 IBU, EBC of 31.

No roast flavour whatsoever, the Carafa 1 is perfect for the style.
I was making a 25 litre batch

can thomas wheat
1kg wheat extract
750g liq wheat extract
150g carafa special 1

came brew day , as you do , and only had 500g wheat dry extract so added it and additional 500kg light dry malt extract

made the batch

then had choose of temperatures

fermentation temperature: 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 18-24°C (64.4-75.2°F)
for clover flavors : below 22°C (71.6°F)
for banana flavor: above 23°C (73.4°F)

no idea what I would like so went for the clover flavours

look like another batch has to be made with banana flavours

So did you ferment at 17C? It's the way to go if you want it to taste anything like the commercial stuff. Other temps will make beer, just very different beer.

Thought I would give Carniebrew's recipe a go in half quantity. Anyone got a polite suggestion for a recipe to use up the other half of the cans? Even a variation on this one.

Back