First All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
Just about got all my equipment ready and was wondering if I had my volumes correct. I will be making a 23ltr batch and will be using 2.5 ltrs of water to a kilo of grain. I have a 40 ltr hot water urn and was going to sparge until I had about 25 ltrs in my brew pot, does this sound about right
Thanks in advance

Just about got all my equipment ready and was wondering if I had my volumes correct. I will be making a 23ltr batch and will be using 2.5 ltrs of water to a kilo of grain. I have a 40 ltr hot water urn and was going to sparge until I had about 25 ltrs in my brew pot, does this sound about right
Thanks in advance

Sounds pretty close

Look up beersmith and download the free trial, you can use it for a couple of brews before you have to buy the key.

It will tell you a lot of info about what you want to brew. Estimated color and SG etc

Good luck

Are you mashing in the urn? Do you have a false bottom to stop the tap getting jammed up? I use a 40L urn for brew in a bag (BIAB) so the grain mashes in the bag then gets lifted out, and the urn then becomes the brew kettle. I would probably get about 27 to 29 L before boiling.

+1 for Kleiny's comments.

2.5 ratio should be fine. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Welcome to the dark side ;) !!!

Thanks guys for the help, I have converted a 45 ltr beer keg as a brew pot but unfortunately the guy who did it for me put the drain tap under the keg coming out from a u bend to the tap. I know this is not ideal but have got another keg so Ill see how it goes, can this be a broblem with protein?. I will be using the urn only as a heat source for the sparge water. Onve again thaks for the advice, Ill let you know how it goes

+1 for Beersmith or Promash, or any of the other brew software that will help you calculate your volumes.

I use Beersmith, but there are other free options available also. Beersmith is good for making recipes also.

For a 23 litre finished batch you will want to get about 28 litres of wort before you boil, based on a loss to boil of 10% per hour. I would suggest that prior to making your first beer, either you put in 28 litres of water and boil it for an hour to see how much loss you get, or mark a stick or your mash paddle with volume increments (assuming your brew pot is a consistent diameter), so you can measure the volume to stop at. You will lose about 3 litres to the boil, and the volume will shrink by about 1 litre from the end of the boil to when the wort is cooled.

I BIAB, so I can't help you much on sparging, but you can get the figures from Beersmith trial version to assist you.

Good luck with your 1st AG brew,

Crundle

Ok, rather than starting a new thread, a quick Hijack... sorry Hazy!

I have a similar question:

I am just finalising my copper manifold for my 100L tun and my new 120L kettle arrived today! Woo Hoo..

Anyway, I have done about 30 odd BIAB's and will retire my 50L keggle to HLT duties but doing my calculations it would appear not to be big enough.

I am planning to pull out about 80 odd litre post boil so want to get about 95L into the kettle...

So a grain bill of 22 kg @ 2:1 I go with 44L of water in mash. Then to batch sparge, how much do I add after first drain for second drain? I calculate it like this: 44L - water to grain loss about 22L so I need to get another 66L through the grain? Can I do this in 2 hits?

Any advice is appreciated!

Sorry again for the Hijack Hazy ;)

:icon_cheers:

Ok, rather than starting a new thread, a quick Hijack... sorry Hazy!

I have a similar question:

I am just finalising my copper manifold for my 100L tun and my new 120L kettle arrived today! Woo Hoo..

Anyway, I have done about 30 odd BIAB's and will retire my 50L keggle to HLT duties but doing my calculations it would appear not to be big enough.

I am planning to pull out about 80 odd litre post boil so want to get about 95L into the kettle...

So a grain bill of 22 kg @ 2:1 I go with 44L of water in mash. Then to batch sparge, how much do I add after first drain for second drain? I calculate it like this: 44L - water to grain loss about 22L so I need to get another 66L through the grain? Can I do this in 2 hits?

Any advice is appreciated!

Sorry again for the Hijack Hazy ;)

:icon_cheers:

Sure you can.. ;) By the way, how is that Esky of yours?? Good quality?? Thinking of getting one the same...

Sure you can.. ;) By the way, how is that Esky of yours?? Good quality?? Thinking of getting one the same...

Cheers CB, So another hit of 44L and then a 22 odd? Or 2 of 33L? Or who cares just get the sparge water trough at temp however I can?

TUN:
Big Chilli Coolers! $103 off EvilBay! + $15 freight.
View attachment 27247

This was a week or 2 ago - manifold is soldered up, slots are cut and tap is fitted - just need to give it all one last going over and its Tun 3000! I will post a pick in my own thread when it is up and tested!

Should be able to hold temp for a few days if needed! :D It will hold ice from 6-10 days!

VERY F*ckin happy so far!

View attachment 27248

Great MLT by the way Cocko... I take it that you have finally finished cutting the slots in the manifold. Batch sparging in two batches is not a problem. Just split the 66lt into two even batches of 33lt and rake the top enough so you don't disturb the grain bed around the manifild so you don't have to recuirculate.

Beersmith or other is your friend for working out volumes. I dial in 14% loss to boiloff so for the OP you probably want about 27lt starting volume depending on your gear and how hard you boil. After a couple of runs you will easily figure out what you need. Good work for getting on to AG and don't sweat it.

Cheers
Gavo.

Great MLT by the way Cocko... I take it that you have finally finished cutting the slots in the manifold. Batch sparging in two batches is not a problem. Just split the 66lt into two even batches of 33lt and rake the top enough so you don't disturb the grain bed around the manifild so you don't have to recuirculate.

Beersmith or other is your friend for working out volumes. I dial in 14% loss to boiloff so for the OP you probably want about 27lt starting volume depending on your gear and how hard you boil. After a couple of runs you will easily figure out what you need. Good work for getting on to AG and don't sweat it.

Cheers
Gavo.

Cheers Gavo, yep all made up, tap and manifold - Just a final clean up will post pic later in the week... maybe on my own thread and stop Hijacking others!

BTW: I am 30+ BIAB's in!! Just needed to get bigger batches and thought a bag of 22kg's of grain wasn't so appealing to lift! ;)

Cheers again all!

Edit: Not you... Sorry.

Cheers CB, So another hit of 44L and then a 22 odd? Or 2 of 33L? Or who cares just get the sparge water trough at temp however I can?

TUN:
Big Chilli Coolers! $103 off EvilBay! + $15 freight.
View attachment 27247

This was a week or 2 ago - manifold is soldered up, slots are cut and tap is fitted - just need to give it all one last going over and its Tun 3000! I will post a pick in my own thread when it is up and tested!

Should be able to hold temp for a few days if needed! :D It will hold ice from 6-10 days!

VERY F*ckin happy so far!

View attachment 27248

thought you were gonna get the BB Falsie? ;)

post-1635-1229385748_thumb.jpg

post-1635-1229385915_thumb.jpg

smashed 80L's in mine last weekend and fell in love with it again. funny how a break from brewing does that.

Hi guys

Have just started to use Beersmith myself . I found two folders of recipes on their site but was wondering if anyone knew of any AG others ?

Thanks

Back