First Ag Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
Well, I just pitched my yeast a day after a full-on AG brew day. It was hard work, but I feel satisfied that I've finally done it, and can probably do it better next time. Here's a bit of a run down as to how my day went:

9:00 Got out of bed, watched telly and had a coffee.
10:00 Started cleaning and inspecting all my gear. Set up a stand out of pavers and bricks for the mongolian burner, on loan from beerbelly.
11:00 Get paranoid about my manifold coming apart during the mash. Crimp all the pieces a little, then can't get it back together.
12:00 after alot of swearing and cursing, start heating up strike water for mash in.
1:19 Taking it carefully, mash in with 14.5L of water and got 64 degrees. Added another 1.4L of 73 degree water, and got it up to 65 degrees. Stirred with mash paddle, put the lid on and waited.
2:20 Mash out with 8L of boiling water. Got mash out temp of 72 degrees. Aiming for 77, I ran inside the house and grabbed the boiling 1.7L from the kettle and added that. I only got it up to 75 degrees, for a mash out, but I had no other way of quickly raising temp, so I left it.
2:35 Start recirculating first runnings. Did this 4-5 times until it was nice and clear. This was the most tedious part for me.
2:50 The mash is stuck! Stir and recirculate, continue draining.
3:05 Add 16.5L of 75 degree sparge water. Stir and recirculate.
3:20 Drain. Didn't get stuck this time.
3:30 Add 14L (nearly) of 75 degree (give or take a couple degrees (take). Ran out of water in my kettle. Stir and recirculate
3:40 Drain. Mash is stuck AGAIN. Stir and *sigh* recirculate.
3:50 poured runnings into boil kettle and turned flame to 11
4:41 Boiling. Boiled for 15mins to drive of DMS. Get scared look from my brother as he rocks up from work.
4:56 Added 20g of amarillo
5:10 Get look of disaprooval from mum as she gets home from work
5:36 added 20g of amarillo
5:46 Added 1 tablet of irish moss.
5:56 Flame off. Whirlpooled, and drained into sanitised cubes. Followed instructions from the no-chill article.
6:10 Off to a nice restaurant to eat something (thats right... I forgot to eat!)

I was knackered by the end of the day. The stuck mashes pissed me off, and I was sick of recirculating by the end of the day. I ended up pitching the yeast an hour or so ago and the wort temp was 21 degrees. Should drop a little overnight. I have the ice on stand by just in case it heats up tomorrow arvo. I have 22L of AG wort sitting in the fermenter. I took a reading and it was 1041. Its a little, on the low side, but if the yeast attenuates as much as it did in the last brew, I should end up with a 4-4.2% ABV beer. I was tempted to add a little LDME, but I decided against it, as I wanted this to be full AG. I have to look at what I can do next time to get a better effiencey. I ended up with another 9L bucket of sparged wort, and I wasted a little in the mash tun and at the bottom of the boil kettle.
By the way, when I took a gravity reading, I had a taste, and it was nice and bitter. I will see if it needs some hops for aroma later on and might do what brendo suggested with the french press.
Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. Thanks especially to beerbelly for lending me the equipment I needed to get going.

Pics:
gallery_14633_622_26267.jpg

gallery_14633_622_67916.jpg

med_gallery_14633_622_93202.jpg

med_gallery_14633_622_8933.jpg

med_gallery_14633_622_39425.jpg

med_gallery_14633_622_62686.jpg

med_gallery_14633_622_39.jpg

You eat fast! :lol:

Well done.....Siborg.

Wait till you taste it.

PB

6:10 Off to a nice restaurant to eat something (thats right... I forgot to eat!)

Next time you're mashing and food seems like a distraction, don't forget that uncracked grain is super tasty and nutririous.

Nice one Siborg!

Bloody hell. That's a big day. Makes me feel like I'm not putting enough effort in.

I bring to strike, chuck some grain in, wait an hour, squeeze the bag out, bring to boil and add hops, wait an hour and then set aside. Cleaning consists of hosing out the bag and rinsing out the tun/kettle/cube the next day.

You guys sure love to make a lot of work for yourselves! :p All up it takes me 35 minutes to make an all grain beer (not counting "waiting periods"). I record movies and motorsports events and watch them during brewing.

Yeah, brewing inside would be awesome. I was using a mongolian burner hooked up to LPG, and I was paranoid about leaving it alone. I even had a hose handy, like it might do something if anything blew up.

I have noted heaps of things I could do to make it easier next time. Cleaning everything and maybe set thngs up/inspect the night before... and start earlier...and have food handy.

Great dedication Siborg , that is a long day. Its great hearing about others first AG efforts.

I held off going AG for ages because of a lack of confidence and patience for dealing with issues you have described. I don't reckon I would have persevered for that long, and I definitely would have stressed with the temperature issues.

A few weeks ago I tried Nick's 'Move to All Grain for thirty bucks instructions' ( Thanks Nick, I don't think I would have moved off of extract brewing without that article) .Other than getting a bigger kettle and bigger burner I don't think I'll be changing anything for quite a while (ok I am thinking about an immersion chiller but thats not changing anything really).

I did most of my first day day outside with a burner as my stove isn't suitable. My setup looked almost same as yours except smaller and no mash tun and no mash problems.

Good luck, it always seems the good guys on this site are happy to offer advice and solutions to help us AG newbs get up and running in our own way.

Awesome effort mate, might have to team up with you for a brewday if you live in Adelaide. You will get used to the gear and time can be a pain with all grain but keep going at it and im sure you will make a beer you like and one you can be proud of. :beer:

Awesome effort mate, might have to team up with you for a brewday if you live in Adelaide. You will get used to the gear and time can be a pain with all grain but keep going at it and im sure you will make a beer you like and one you can be proud of. :beer:

...I'm already thinking of what to do next. Waiting a week and a half till payday.

Just on a side note... I don't think I let enough air in to the burner. I'm not to sure about that sort of stuff, but it seemed to burn faster the other day when I tested it with the stand that beerbelly made. I think I used too much gas, and it wasn't burning it quickly enough... does that sound right... I've there's not enough air, it would waste gas, due to suffocation? I don't know if you can see it in the pics, but I found a little fan to blow a little bit of air in... it seemed to make the roar louder, so I assumed it was burning faster.

Well, I just pitched my yeast a day after a full-on AG brew day. It was hard work, but I feel satisfied that I've finally done it, and can probably do it better next time. Here's a bit of a run down as to how my day went:

9:00 Got out of bed, watched telly and had a coffee.

What was on telly mate? Coffee nice?

Coffee is always nice. I buy freshly roasted beans from a shop nearby, have a grinder, espresso machine... its my morning habbit.

Just watch recorded episodes of south park from the day before. Its so wrong, but so right!

Jokes aside,

That is excellent mate...I am GREEN with envy....What a marathon effort

I cant wait to get into AG, but as we have discussed it is a little while off for me yet.....2011 for sure, but 2010 will be the year of partials, liquid yeasts, reusing yeasts, starters, lagers (in my fermentation fridge), cold conditioning, trying lots of hops I havent tried yet,

Well done.....I cant wait to hear what it tastes like...let us all know mate.

Guess what...my LCBA clone, that I am really happy with, tasted better at 1week old then it does now that it is 1month old. Hahaha, still tastes fantastic, just lost a little bit of the hop fruitiness which was delicious.

hahaha south park...what a show!!!

Suck my balls cartman..........!! <stan>
PRESENT THEM!!! <cartman>

TIMMMMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Hmmmmm, freshly roasted beans, that is what I need to get into. I have an espresso machine, but I want to get a burr grinder, not the propeller crap that I have now.

When are u moving to sydney mate!! hahaha

[quote name='Siborg' date='Mar 27 2010, 10:20 PM' post='613729']
Coffee is always nice. I buy freshly roasted beans from a shop nearby, have a grinder, espresso machine... its my morning habbit.

Just watch recorded episodes of south park from the day before. Its so wrong, but so right!
[/quote]

Jokes aside,

That is excellent mate...I am GREEN with envy....What a marathon effort

I cant wait to get into AG, but as we have discussed it is a little while off for me yet.....2011 for sure, but 2010 will be the year of partials, liquid yeasts, reusing yeasts, starters, lagers (in my fermentation fridge), cold conditioning, trying lots of hops I havent tried yet,

Well done.....I cant wait to hear what it tastes like...let us all know mate.

Guess what...my LCBA clone, that I am really happy with, tasted better at 1week old then it does now that it is 1month old. Hahaha, still tastes fantastic, just lost a little bit of the hop fruitiness which was delicious.

Yeah, see I've skipped all that. I'll have to try that too. I might go and buy a packet of fresh liquid yeast for my next one. I don't wanna use US-05 for the rest of my life... yes...I'll be brewing till the day I die! B)

hahaha south park...what a show!!!

Suck my balls cartman..........!! <stan>
PRESENT THEM!!! <cartman>

TIMMMMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Hmmmmm, freshly roasted beans, that is what I need to get into. I have an espresso machine, but I want to get a burr grinder, not the propeller crap that I have now.

When are u moving to sydney mate!! hahaha

[quote name='Siborg' date='Mar 27 2010, 10:20 PM' post='613729']

Yeah, it just beats *old* simpsons for me. I've been a fan since they sent a letter to my parents when I was in grade 6 (back in 1997) telling them not to let us watch it... nice job they did!

I got a burr grinder from big W for like $50. I bought them as soon as I put the sale stickers on them. They're normally ~$150ish. Too good.

Haven't been to Sydney yet. But I'll venture up there sooner or later. I wanna see what Australia's second best city looks like! :D just kidding.

Yeah, it just beats *old* simpsons for me. I've been a fan since they sent a letter to my parents when I was in grade 6 (back in 1997) telling them not to let us watch it... nice job they did!

I got a burr grinder from big W for like $50. I bought them as soon as I put the sale stickers on them. They're normally ~$150ish. Too good.

Haven't been to Sydney yet. But I'll venture up there sooner or later. I wanna see what Australia's second best city looks like! :D just kidding.

hahaha second best city....PFFFFFT!!!

$50 for a burr grinder...man...thats what I want. Just cant fork out nearly $200 for a coffee grinder! I will get one on super special one day, no rush.

Let us know when your in town, fantastic excuse for a beer somewhere. Aslong as I get a pass card from the mrs.. :)

Great day mate , try not to get paranoid about the gas you have the bottle far enough away from the burner that is why they put a long pipe on it . I hope you had fun next time just stack the bricks into 2 columns either side of the kettle and that will give you more air flow . I am doing another brew on thursday if you would like to come over and bring your kettle and stand so it can be modified to fit your kettle. Just recirculate a little slower next time ( don't have the tap open as much) you will find over the next few brews you will tweak it a little and find that you will reduce your time in brewing . Stick with it and you will keep on making great beers . Necessity is the mother of invention .

Cheers
Beerebelly

...I'm already thinking of what to do next. Waiting a week and a half till payday.
Yeah that first AG brew day always seems to take ALL DAY!, my first one started at ~9.30 (got to have coffee, have twin head commercial machine + mill) and didn't finish till about 7pm, stuck sparge and all..... Sigh those where the days, now I can do a 28L (in the fermenter) batch in 4hrs including the clean up!

one day. My $160 machine struggles when I have friends over to make 6+ coffees.

It's a hand-me-down from when my folks had a cafe, when they retired and closed it the coffee guys wanted to buy back the $2.5K machine and kit for $800, they said no... Bloody good thing too! :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back