Finings: Necessary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soundsl like 1.026, could this be the case? If so it still has a lot of fermenting to do. What was the original reading if you took one? What temperature have you been fermenting at?

One more annoying question (sorry!) I finally worked out the reading, thanks heaps for that. I didn't loosen the lid before getting some out of the tap. Is that an issue?

Sorry Gavo just saw that. Temp is at a constant 22 (using ice bucket). I worked out the reading and it's around 1012-1014. Still bubbling once a minute

Only a possible issue if some of the water in the airlock is sucked back in. But at theis stage sit back and relax, all will probably be good with the brew, I've done the same with no issue many a time.

assuming you are using an airlock in the lid? make sure it doesnt suck back is a good rule, instead of water use a sanitiser in there or some use Vodka

or

replace the lid with glad wrap and hurl the airlock into the bin and never have to think about the issue again ;)

Only really asked about the temp as I thought that 1.026 was a bit high for a week in the fermenter, your actual reading sounds about on target. Another week and it should be fine, just check your readings are constant before bottling. Good work with the ice bath and keeping the temp down as much as you can, although around 18 deg would be better.

Trevandjo said:
Are you being fair dinkum Yob? With the glad wrap I mean.
very much so, I only use my lid for cleaning / sanitizing purposes.. as do a great many other people.

Double FV Gladwrap.jpg

Yob said:
very much so, I only use my lid for cleaning / sanitizing purposes.. as do a great many other people.

Double FV Gladwrap.jpg
I'll be buggered! Thanks for the pic or I wouldn't have believed it. What have you got around the glad wrap? Bungee cord? O-ring?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I'll be buggered! Thanks for the pic or I wouldn't have believed it. What have you got around the glad wrap? Bungee cord? O-ring?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

A fair few people use the old glad wrap trick, use the rubber O ring out of your lid to hold the wrap on.

+1 Gladwrap on FV.
+1 Cold crash at 1 degree and time will clear your beer nicely

Take my opinion either which way. I am a AG brewer. I find that AG beer (mine that is) clears a lot quicker with finnings. I am a kegger and a bottler. Yes I know it shouldn't matter how clear it is but when one has friends over its nice to present something that looks drinkable. My process is as follows
1) Rack finished beer into the kegFinnings is far more effective when added to a cold liquid.( IMHO )
2) When keg has been chilled I add finnings and force carb in my usual fashion. Finnings is far more effective when added to a cold liquid.( IMHO )
3) Initially the beer will still be cloudy but over a few days it tends to clear quite well.

As for bottling I do add the finnings to the "warm" finished beer once it has been racked. Bulk prime and bottle. It works for me but everyone to their own I suppose..

My 2c

you put finings IN the keg? :blink:

Doesnt that mean you're drinking the finnings and all the particulate in the 'cloudy beer'?

Yob said:

Doesnt that mean you're drinking the finnings and all the particulate in the 'cloudy beer'?
Hasn't affected me yet in the 5yrs I have been doing it :lol: Come to think of it none of my regulars evers hown any signs of side affects either :lol: Have entered beer into state and national comps and it has not been a problem. Dunno......... Maybe I oughta call in the "Myth Busters" :ph34r:

Andy.....

Yob said:

Gelatine in kegs is not uncommon as far as I know.

Still doesn't help the OP's vegan sister.

Latest posts

Back