Fining Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan.temple

Reaction score
My beer has been fermenting for a week now and has dropped from 1.045 to 1.022 at 10-12 degrees, yeast i have used is the Brew Cellar Premium Lager Yeast which i ended up using 2 packets (30gms) as i panicked when the hydrometer wasn't dropping after 36 hours. This is my first brew in a few years and it was only a brief stint last time with bottling. However not im onto kegs so this is what i would like advice on.

I'd like the beer ready as soon as possible and I'd like it clear and taste good, I have another fermenter which i can use as a secondary and my brewing fridge can go down to 1-2 degrees.

So im just looking on advice as to what finings i should use/ if any and if i should be looking for finings to make it clear or get rid of the 'chill haze' or both?

thanks in advance

2 packs of yeast for a lager is recommended anyway.

As for finings: You can use gelatine or isinglass to drop out yeast and polyclar to combat chill haze. Isinglass will supposedly target some of the proteins responsible for chill haze, gelatine will not. Many people use supermarket gelatine and report success, some people claim supermarket gelatine is too variable.

Personally I have stopped using finings at all (except kettle finings) and find cold and time work as well as I need them to.

Make sure you read up on the correct preparation of whichever fining you choose to use.

Latest posts

Back