Filter Setup 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its my understanding that yeast can deform and the higher pressure will force them through the filter :huh:

Since i've started using the keg to keg filter method with polyclar, i've had a couple of ultra clear beers (pub quality), but the last few have been rather cloudy. I'm pushing the beer thru the filter with approx 3 to 4 PSI of pressure. Takes about 25 to 30 mins. I load the polyclar into the receiving keg, then switch the lines over and filter again... so each beer gets 2 runs thru the keg... yet they still don't come out super clear anymore. My last effort still showed some yeast in the bottom of the keg when empty... :(

Is there a particular way to load the filter cartridge into the canister housing? I've noticed one end has a slightly raised inner-ring on the end of the cartridge. Should this raised end go down into the base or up the screwtop end of the filter housing?

Is there a particular way to load the filter cartridge into the canister housing? I've noticed one end has a slightly raised inner-ring on the end of the cartridge. Should this raised end go down into the base or up the screwtop end of the filter housing?

It doesn't matter which way it goes, a little bit of food grade lubricant smeared on the ends doesn't go astray.

If you've got the lid screwed on tight and you are using low pressure it sounds like your cartridge is damaged.

Scott

Since i've started using the keg to keg filter method with polyclar, i've had a couple of ultra clear beers (pub quality), but the last few have been rather cloudy. I'm pushing the beer thru the filter with approx 3 to 4 PSI of pressure. Takes about 25 to 30 mins. I load the polyclar into the receiving keg, then switch the lines over and filter again... so each beer gets 2 runs thru the keg... yet they still don't come out super clear anymore. My last effort still showed some yeast in the bottom of the keg when empty... :(

TP I would agree with SAH, I think my cartridge has suffered the same fate as yours when I was filtering under pressure (my micromatic's gauge is lousy for low readings but probably in the vicinity of 2-3 pounds). My beers are not as bright as they were post filtering. Now that I gravity feed I am hoping that my replacement cartridge will survive for longer :)
Cheers
Doug

i noticed on my filter housing after cleaning it following its maiden run that there was a "in" and an "out " marking for the beer lines. Then relised i had them on the wrong way the first time round.( didnt think it would matter?)

The second time the beer was gravity filtered was a wheat 60/40 pils. Came up super bright . (lines connected the right way i suppose.)
Just a thought,
But then again as if somebody other then me , would not check to see if there was a certain way to connect the lines LOL.

I've got a bit of a problem at the moment and I'm suspecting it's to do with my sanitising process when I use the filter.

I've been following variations of the following.

- Put a litre of star san solution in a corny, and move it about to coat all of the area.
- Fill the filter housing with star san, put cartridge in place and screw on lid.
- Pump the santiser through filter, keg, lines and keg for a little bit. Rest.
- Reconfigure plumbing ready for pulling beer out of fermenter, through filter and into keg.
- Use CO2 to push sanitiser out of keg, filter and lines. This essentially displaces all air from system. There will be an unknown amount of star san foam in the system after this.
- Filter the beer.

In the last few weeks I've filtered 3 batches and not filtered 1 batch.

One batch, a light lager has a taste problem that looks like it is staying.

Another beer, a complex malty and hoppy golden APA showed some sign of this flavour however it disappeared within a day or two.

Another beer, Tony's Old recipe, kegged last night, has a similar unwanted flavour to the lager. Yes it is stronger than the chocolate malt.

I used poloyclar VT with the lager and the APA, not with the Old. So I think I can rule that out.

I used the pump and tube lines with these three plus a Hefe. The Hefe was a fine beer. So I think I can rule the pump and lines out.

Initially I blamed the flavour in the lager as a lacto bacillus infection. However, after recognising the same flavour in the Old I'm very certain it is not an infection. I used different fermenters, plastic and glass.

I can only describe the flavour as acidic. It isn't totally overpowering and indeed isn't too unpleasant in the lager if you don't realise that it isn't supposed to be there. It is way out of style in the Old.

I made a solution of 1/10th of a ml of star san in 500ml of water today and an acidic taste at this concentration is evident. It could be the same flavour as in the beer but it's difficult to say for sure.

Does anyone else use star san and a similar process to sanitise your filter and keg? Have you had problems?

What sanitisers and methods have others found successful.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

An update on my problem I describe above.

I've just used my pump and filter to filter some tap water. I didn't sanitise anything. I picked up a very slight plastic flavour but not the offending acidic flavour I described above.

The star san looks like the source of the problem.

Scott

I've just used my pump and filter to filter some tap water. I didn't sanitise anything. I picked up a very slight plastic flavour but not the offending acidic flavour I described above.

Scott

Out of interest Scott, how are you cleaning the filter after each brew?

Thanks,
Michael.

Scott
Hey Scott,

I'd also suspect the Star-San. I use a similar phosphoric-acid based sanitiser from G&G, and even when diluted to recommended concentration, it is highly acidic (about pH 2).
What I would suspect is happening is that even though you have purged your filter and keg with CO2, there will still be a large amount (100-200ml) of sanitiser still in the system, mostly in the filter housing, and some in the bottom of the keg.
I think a good solution to this would be to sanitise the filter, line and keg as per usual, but don't bother pushing this all out with CO2. Then open up and drain to get rid of as much as you can. Then fill the filter to the brim with pre-boiled water, close it up, and push this out with CO2. The filter housing needs to be held upside down to get rid of most of the water. Any water left in the filter will not affect your beer.
Then filter as per normal.

Out of interest Scott, how are you cleaning the filter after each brew?

I soak the cartridge in the housing in warm water and sodium percarbonate.

I change this solution once or twice over two or three days depending on how it looks.

I then air dry the cartridge.

What I would suspect is happening is that even though you have purged your filter and keg with CO2, there will still be a large amount (100-200ml) of sanitiser still in the system, mostly in the filter housing, and some in the bottom of the keg.

Hutch, I agree, however the cartridge doesn't have much residuel sanitiser. I suspect the problem is with the keg, I was pumping the solution into the gas post and picking it up from the dip tube. I suspect there was a lot of foaming.

thanks,
Scott

I soak the cartridge in the housing in warm water and sodium percarbonate.

I change this solution once or twice over two or three days depending on how it looks.

I then air dry the cartridge.

Hi Scott,

Do you use pure sodium percarb or Nappisan? I have had problems with Nappisan (even the unscented stuff).

Also, make sure you rinse the cartridge thoroughly (ie. several times) in hot water to remove any sodium percarb residue.

Cheers,
Michael.

Just used my filter setup for the first time 10.20am this morning. :)
Everything went according to plan as far as I can tell (fingers crossed).

Beer was chilled to about 1 degree for a day or two, and force carbed straight after filtering.

Will post a pic of the result in a few hours, but here is the setup... (excuse crappy phone pic)

IMG_0146.JPG

Result! Photo taken (with the good camera) at 11:43am.
Just over an hour from ferementer to this shot. Very pleased. :D

IMG_7248_Edit_2.jpg

Big thanks to all that contribute to this forum..
in particular to Pumpy.. whose posts on gravity filtering have been invaluable,
... and Ross @ CB for selling me a great bit of kit.

Problem now is I have a taste for it before lunch on a Saturday... there goes the weekend ;)

Latest posts

Back