Fermenting Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirDrinkalot

Reaction score
My Father has been kegging for 9 months and says it should be 2 weeks... mine seem to be ready in a week.
He doesn't use the Hyrometer.

I checked my brew 2 brews that I have done so far and they were 1010 after a week...
bubbling for about 4 days.
I feel bad that I am kegging it after a week... but I am also happy that I can drink it after a week.
I also worry about the beer sitting there dormant ( not bubbling ) for too long.
Does this seem right.
I have used Coopers Lager and Coopers Canadian blonde.
the Coopers Larger was 28 degrees the whole time.
the Coopers Canadian Blonde was 24 then on the 3rd day jumped to 28 and stopped bubbling on the 4th day.?

Length of time is irrelevant. What matters is gravity being stable and in the finished reason.

Then, depending on your own preferences, a maturation period as a whole mass can be beneficial. Once final gravity is reached and stable, I usually leave a brew for 3-7 days, then put under refrigeration for a further 3-7 days before I bottle. I find the beer is much less green tasting when carbonated. Beer will mature better and faster in large volumes (I base this on both what I've read and personal experience of trying both) than small.

In a keg that may not be an issue as you are kind of cold conditioning and maturing in a large volume anyway. This is speculation as I don't keg and never have.

With kegging, bottling after set lengths of time won't lead to bottles exploding in your face so your father can do whatever he wants. A bottler is best using the hydrometer or knowing their beer and fermentation processes so well that they know they can afford the chance.

Also please forget bubbling or the lack of it - it is not a reliable sign of the presence or absence of fermentation.

At the temps you have fermented at and with kit yeast 5 to 7 days sounds right.

You will get better beer if you can get the temps down to 20 or below.

Cheers

Well the Coopers Canandian Blonde was a double batch in a 60ltr drum.
The Coopers Larger was a single in a 30ltr drum.

I've seen on this site that the best temps are 18-22 degrees.
Why do Coopers on this instructions say 21-27 degrees?

Because most new kit brewers won't have temp control and the instructions are designed to make it as easy as possible. Yeast will ferment at 21 -27 but it may not taste as good as it should.

If the volume response was to me - I'm talking about leaving the beer after you have reached final gravity to mature. Yeast produces odd flavours during ferment but if given a chance, it will clean these up. You can then use cold for further maturation and to drop the yeast out of suspension which has an effect on flavour.

Latest posts

Back