Federation Square Microbreweries Showcase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
Looks like I am off to Fed Square again - All the usual suspects except for the Whats Brewing Co.

Date: Wednesday 19th & Thursday 20th July 2006

Time: 4.30pm to 8.30pm

Tasting Tickets $20 for 20 beer samples

Hargreaves Hill as well....yummmmm! I have been drinking and loving the Pale Ale for a while now and they have recently come out with a Porter. The Porter is excellent. I highly recommend if you have not tried it yet.

Friends of mine were recently telling me about the Red Duck Pale and raved about it. Has anyone tried it yet?

I might just have to stop by myself.

Red Ducks Amber is quite nice. Can't remember any specifics.

They make a special note on the labels about not filtering their beers. So they can be a bit cloudier than normal.

Look forward to next Thursday.

Good to see a decent line-up will be there. Bit of a shame about Holgate Brewery not being there, I would have liked to have a chat about their hand-pumped ales. Still, the lads from Grand Ridge are pretty entertaining...!

I'll do my best to get there...

Just a reminder to those interested - this Microbrewery showcase is on tonight and tomorrow night at Fed Square in Melbourne...

Cheers

I wandered along on the Wednesday night, on my Pat Malone. Since I was about the only person there without company, I either looked like a critic or a loser...!

$20 got you 20 samples and seriously, there was a pretty good buzz behind the eyes by the 18th ticket. All the usual suspects were there (Grand Ridge, Mildura, Buckley's, etc etc) and the crowd was very good. I think they'll be happy with numbers (at least on the Wednesday). There was a silent raffle for a slab of mixed micro-brewed beers, accommodation at Grand Ridge and $1500 worth of beer 'tasting' at Transport (a bar at Fed Square) and also a "Taster's Choice" award, which was tallied up from our voting cards.

Breweries represented included;
Bintara
Bright Brewery
Emerald Hill
Hargreaves Hill
Jamieson Brewery
Mountain Goat
Red Hill
What's Brewing
Bridge Road (Beechworth)
Buckley's
Grand Ridge
James Squire
Mildura Brewery
Red Duck
The 3 Ravens

All had their bottles up for tasting and most had a corny keg or two of their big sellers for tasting.

There's something about the excitement of a brewer, showing off his wares that just rubs off on you, so I spoke as much as I could to the guys. Most were happy to reveal what yeasts and hops they used and what their favourites were...

The number of wheat beers being brewed in Victoria is amazing, there must have been one for each of the breweries above and I loved all of them (except the Bintara Crystal Wheat, which gave off some unusual flavours). The 3 Ravens was a favourite of mine (their Black is superb, as is the Blond) and the Bridge Road mob slap together a very nice Hefe in a champagne bottle! Grand Ridge's Yarra Valley Gold is an amazing malty, hoppy concoction - seriously great stuff.

I'll head along to the next one - I think $20 is just right for all the tasting and conversation you get out of the evening. I had to leave early, so I don't know who won the auctions/raffle but I'll make sure I'm there 'till stumps next time.

edit: Hooray! This post makes me a Krausen! I'll drink to that...

Great selection, I especially enjoyed the Grand Ridge Supershine... Lovely stuff.

Anyone know what the final auction price of the Transport beer thingo went for?

cher

Went along on Thursday, didn't get there til 7 though so didn't get to try everything.

Excellent turnout, bigger than Wednesday apparently. Saw a few familar faces in the crowd.

I think the beers getting better, Red Hill's seasonals were good, Hargraves Pale is always good, 3 Ravens new White was excellent. Good to see Damien at What's Brewing and Carl at Emerald Hill getting a good response to their new brews. Don't know where Matilda Bay were?

More people are more interested in good beer. That's good.

Cheers,

Sam

Yep, that Supershine sure packs a whallop. At 11%, Eric from Grand Ridge suggests it be 'sipped like a port'.

What's Brewing took me by surprise for some reason. Their beers were really superb, an Amber and Pale Ale and a Porter - all great. Will be chasing up their products in future.

Turned up last night for beer tasting 15 victorian brewers.

NB: had a bit of a head cold for the last few days, which may or may not have affected my taste testing abilities.

A few new brews i haven't tried (that I liked).

Hargreave Hills - Hefewiezen best locally brewed wiezen ever.
Red Hill - Hop Harvest Ale (fresh Willamette and Goldings hops in a pale ale) not bad. Must have been lots of Willamette cause it didn't taste like an standard IPA.
Mildura - Storm - cloudy pale ale, fruity. Nice cross between coopers sparkling, coopers pale ale with some cascade hops)
Red Duck The Ox. 9% very chocolate robust porter.
Grand Ridge Moonlight Nut Brown More like an amber, lovely.
What's Brewing Co - Amber (carapils and diasetol make biscuit heaven)

A few new brewers:

Whats Brewing Co Pale/Amber/Porter.
Red Duck Brewing SWB/Pale/Amber/Porter/Ox.
Emerald Hill - Wheat/Pale.

Old Favourites:

James Squire: Speculator and Highwayman Both still very good. What style would you put the Highwayman in anyway. Apparently hopped with NZ Sauvin.
3 Ravens: Ive liked all their beers in the past. Good to see them getting a larger range out again.

Absent Friends:

No Holgate - which was a bit sad.

Unfortunately one brewer was offering infected beers. Not going to name names.

Latest posts

Back