Favorite slab for under a pinapple

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben-burd

Reaction score
What's your favorite carton of beer for under a pinapple ($50) yes we all like the fancy craft beers but whats your go to cheaper alternative

Mine is coopers pale ale being a south aussie its hard to go past. Tooheys old comes in second. Both dont last long at my house.

You can get a bottle of pretty much anything for under $50,
carton wise, I've got a fridge full of beer why would I buy a carton.

$50 makes 2 batches, 5 cartons........better quality.....makes sense to me.

Yes I know but im just a kit and kilo pleb and often run out of home brew and time to make more

Spending $50's on cartons won't fix that problem

Bitburger pils is usually the same price as mega swill and a billion times better. Haven't yet tasted a better German pils. 12 bottles of old hooky can be had for $55 which is slightly more than the stated price point, but close enough in my book

yum beer said:
You can get a bottle of pretty much anything for under $50,
carton wise, I've got a fridge full of beer why would I buy a carton.

$50 makes 2 batches, 5 cartons........better quality.....makes sense to me.
Correct. As you have a fridge full of beer you have no need to purchase more. If I had enough supplies on hand I wouldn't need to buy any either.

I try and get Oettenger for $30 at Dan Murphys when I can or $33 at Woolies. I like the bitterness of em but I swear last time I got they'd dropped the IBU's. They must have been bought by Anheuser–Busch.

Any coopers is a safe bet, or I can usually get Hoegaarden for a fiddy.
Dos equis amber is a very nice vienna lager usually for about 50 from dans if they have it in stock.
Hahn premium since they relaunched it, or urquell for a smashable lager.
For tight arse partys or camping etc i dont dig oettenger, prefer buttburger or this stuff i used to get called martens pils from belgium. 35 a slab, nasty.

Under a $50 cuts down the choices pretty hard.

I haven't bought a slab for under $50 for so long I couldn't tell you.

However if I'm going for a cheap slab I'll go for coopers or Fat Yak which are both a bit obove the $50 from Memory

ben-burd said:
Yes I know but im just a kit and kilo pleb and often run out of home brew and time to make more
ben-burd said:
Correct. As you have a fridge full of beer you have no need to purchase more. If I had enough supplies on hand I wouldn't need to buy any either.
If you have your routine/setup in place doing basic kit & kilo's take no time at all. Therefore run 2, 3 fermenters and build up stock. You don't have to do them all on the same day if that's a problem, do them a few days apart. As the grand kids say "easy peasy".
Cheers

Depends on which part of Australia I'm in. If travelling if normally get any of the following -
XXXX Bitter
Boags Draught
Coopers Pale Ale
Abbotsford Stout
Carlsberg
If none of the above, VB. Yeah you heard me.
I haven't had a Oettenger since uni but might have to revisit based on the feedback in this thread.

Oettenger pils. Haven't bought a case of beer in literally years, but if I had to based on previous experience. Oettenger, not the best but way better then any popular Australian beer for <$50.

droid said:
Gage Roads Atomic at woollies usually or at least used to be $47
Same, can usually get it at Dan's or BWS for under $50. Having said that, if I'm stuck, I'll often duck over to a small independent supermarket in the next town which sells cases of Badlands Pale Ale (local craft brewery) for $60.

TheWiggman said:
Depends on which part of Australia I'm in. If travelling if normally get any of the following -
XXXX Bitter
Boags Draught
If none of the above, VB. Yeah you heard me.
Oh dear! You're a braver man than I.

Oettenger 500ml cans- 12L for $41, or 30 pack of XXXX Bitter cans- 11.25L for about $43 if on special.
Sometimes you just can't beat an ice cold tinnie!

Cheers,
RB

I live in a rural area so I'm not exactly spoiled for choice. Sometimes we get Asahi for $50. That's okay.

Lately I've been buying Coopers Mild ($36 or so).

Flame suit on: I used to like the Pure Blonde 'naked' (mid strength) if there was only swill on offer. Now they are just called 'pure blonde mid' or something and they don't taste the same.

punk IPA from Dan's if I remember correctly it was $24 for six, six packs. Probably the best slab I ever purchased for half a pineapple

Back