Faux Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambo

Reaction score
Seen a few comments lately about making faux lagers using Nottingham yeast at low temps. Just wanting to double check if you still need to lager the beer after fermentation. And if you treat the rest of the recipe as if you were making a lager.

Cheers

Hey man. I have ade a few of these lately. Normal lager malt and hop bill. No need for lagering as not required for an ale yeast like Notto. Can be ready to drink from a keg in a week. I use 100% pils malt and a noble hop like hallertau or saaz to around 25 ibu. Half the ibus at 60 mins and the rest at 10 mins.

Cheers guys, just what I wanted to hear. Wanting to have a lager on tap but no room for lagering. Can't wait to give it a go.

Cheers, going to try your recipe with the hallertau. Will cube hop the 10 min addition though as I don't have a chiller.

I might give this a go soon, maybe wait until shed temps are consistently cool as the ferment fridge only has room for one cube.

My saaz and hercules hops are crying in the freezer as they watch all their friends being used first...

White Labs WLP036 Alt yeast is also great as a faux lager yeast, IMO.

I once got the temperature setting wrong and a Notto brew dropped to 13 degrees, and it was still hammering away.

For a quick true lager, S-189 and S-23 can be used at ale temperature without producing too many esters, and Wyeast Danish Lager 2042 fermented at 13 degrees then raised gradually to ale temperatures is a good bet (most Aussie Megaswills are made thus).

However the above examples do benefit from a couple of weeks of genuine lagering at -1 degree.

Great info, cheers guys. Might have to try them all

mikk said:
White Labs WLP036 Alt yeast is also great as a faux lager yeast, IMO.
Does this yeast require lagering? The alt recipe in Brewing Classic Styles says to lager after fermentation. I do love the alt on tap at the Brisbane German Club and wouldn't mind trying my hand at that also.

Or maybe I should just build a keezer so I have more fridge space.

Rambo, seeing as you are in Brisbane you need to expressly get ye unto Craftbrewer / Bacchus and try a tasting paddle, most of their lager offerings are done on S yeasts at 19 degrees, unless they have changed their procedures - Ross will confirm.

I'll be heading there next week to stock up, so I'll do that. My main issue is space for lagering, rather than fermentation temps though. Cheers

Rambo said:
Does this yeast require lagering? The alt recipe in Brewing Classic Styles says to lager after fermentation. I do love the alt on tap at the Brisbane German Club and wouldn't mind trying my hand at that also.

Or maybe I should just build a keezer so I have more fridge space.
Some lagering/cold conditioning with WLP036 is beneficial, as it is with many ale yeasts

The only Alt I ever made tasted like a boys school gym changing room after a couple of weeks. I put the keg to one side and basically forgot about it for four months and it transformed into the Nectar of the Gods.
I didn't use WLP036, it was a Wyeast version but for a faux lager ale I'd be using something far more neutral such as Notto.

Bribie G said:
I once got the temperature setting wrong and a Notto brew dropped to 13 degrees, and it was still hammering away.

For a quick true lager, S-189 and S-23 can be used at ale temperature without producing too many esters, and Wyeast Danish Lager 2042 fermented at 13 degrees then raised gradually to ale temperatures is a good bet (most Aussie Megaswills are made thus).

However the above examples do benefit from a couple of weeks of genuine lagering at -1 degree.
Hmmm, I'm tempted to make your Malt Liquor using this procedure...

I remember your complaints of the sulfur given off by wy 1007. Same strain as k97 i think.

Smellsclike a beer fart but then cold conditions to a soft delicate ale.

Bribie G said:
The only Alt I ever made tasted like a boys school gym changing room after a couple of weeks. I put the keg to one side and basically forgot about it for four months and it transformed into the Nectar of the Gods.
I didn't use WLP036, it was a Wyeast version but for a faux lager ale I'd be using something far more neutral such as Notto.

Still very cloudy. I brewed this on Sunday morning, pitched Notto on Sunday night and started crash chilling last night. Should hopefully clear up a bit more before then but will be kegging tomorrow afternoon. Will be drinkable but will still clear up a bit over the next week or so. Tasting pretty good already.

fauxlager.jpg

Latest posts

Back