Faux Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
Looks good (though cloudy)
So quick!
What temps were you keeping the fermenter at? (& CCing)?
Was fermented at 17 degrees. Currently sitting at 1 degree to crash chill. Will not be perfectly clear by tomorrow but will be much better in a week or so. Will post some more pics up as it clears.

That's "low"?
I just did a PA 1056 at 18°C - does 1°C make that big a difference?

I thought the faux lagers had Notto chugging along at 14-15°C. Is that correct or is it not necessary to drop it so low?
(& how much longer would it take the notto to do the job at that temp, do you think?).

I'm tempted to have a crack at a faux lager soon, so i'm just quickly checking some of the basic details - namely the whole temp thing :p

Any other faux lager recipes out there to recommend??
Thanks!

PS: keen to see how that clears up, lukiferj !

lukiferj said:
Still very cloudy. I brewed this on Sunday morning, pitched Notto on Sunday night and started crash chilling last night. Should hopefully clear up a bit more before then but will be kegging tomorrow afternoon. Will be drinkable but will still clear up a bit over the next week or so. Tasting pretty good already.
Seriously? Thats only had 3 days at 17° then crash chill. It cant be finished properly :blink:

technobabble66 said:
That's "low"?
I just did a PA 1056 at 18°C - does 1°C make that big a difference?

I thought the faux lagers had Notto chugging along at 14-15°C. Is that correct or is it not necessary to drop it so low?
(& how much longer would it take the notto to do the job at that temp, do you think?).

I'm tempted to have a crack at a faux lager soon, so i'm just quickly checking some of the basic details - namely the whole temp thing :p

Any other faux lager recipes out there to recommend??
Thanks!

PS: keen to see how that clears up, lukiferj !
I keep it at 17 as it seems to chug along nicely at that temp and I like the results. I haven't run it any lower so couldn't comment but I will try a bit lower the next time and compare the difference. I suspect it would add a bit of time to the ferment. Probably not too much though with Notto.

mckenry said:
Seriously? Thats only had 3 days at 17° then crash chill. It cant be finished properly :blink:
It's dropped from 1.045 to 1.010 in 3 days. I was expecting it to hit 1.011 according to the recipe. It takes almost another day to get it down from 17 to 1 degree though. I have had Notto finish many times in 3 or 4 days, particularly in beers with an OG lower than 1.050. Will continue to check the gravity but I will be kegging so no issues with bottle bombs. I would normally leave it for a few more days but wanted to get something into the keg asap and have done this before with good results.

lukiferj said:
It's dropped from 1.045 to 1.010 in 3 days. I was expecting it to hit 1.011 according to the recipe. It takes almost another day to get it down from 17 to 1 degree though. I have had Notto finish many times in 3 or 4 days, particularly in beers with an OG lower than 1.050. Will continue to check the gravity but I will be kegging so no issues with bottle bombs. I would normally leave it for a few more days but wanted to get something into the keg asap and have done this before with good results.
OK. If youve had good results, thats all that matters. There is more to fermentation than just hitting FG. Yeast needs to clean-up its byproducts, including diacetyl. A lack of diacetyl doesnt mean the other byproducts are gone.
I'm all for packaging when its ready. It really shits me when people have hard and fast rules such as 2 weeks primary, 4 days secondary, 5 weeks in the bottle etc.
I'm just shocked thats its ready after only 3 days fermenting.

mckenry said:
OK. If youve had good results, thats all that matters. There is more to fermentation than just hitting FG. Yeast needs to clean-up its byproducts, including diacetyl. A lack of diacetyl doesnt mean the other byproducts are gone.
I'm all for packaging when its ready. It really shits me when people have hard and fast rules such as 2 weeks primary, 4 days secondary, 5 weeks in the bottle etc.
I'm just shocked thats its ready after only 3 days fermenting.

Completely agree mate. Would not even contemplate it with another yeast but have had very good results with Notto. Each yeast is different and each ferment can be different too. Only way to be sure it to keep measuring.

Would have preferred to brew on Friday to give it a few extra days but just didn't get time. There are plenty of things that shit me about hard and fast rules too.

I normally leave in the fermenter for up to a week before crash chilling, even if it has finished in a few days. For anyone who was going to try it, I would recommend they do that at least initially and take measurements to ensure that fermentation is finished. Obviously this is extremely important if bottling.

For some saf s-189 yesterday so I figure I'll just use that at ale temps rather than using notto, I'm holding off yet though as I get my sack of pilsner malt next weekend

image.jpg

Just brewed your recipe (well close enough, didn't have enough hallertau so ended up about 50/50 hallertau/saaz) , cheers lukiferj. Can't wait to get it into the fv and onto my taste buds.

Not a great quality picture but this is from yesterday morning. Starting to clear up nicely. Is actually quite a bit clearer than it looks but the glass condensed up.

faux.jpg

NewtownClown said:
"Faux" Lager? Isn't that a Cream Ale?
Yes, just looked it up. Though seems a cream ale is more like an American lager rather than a European lager.
Cheers

Back