Fat Yak - Ag Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi... taking into count what Thirsty_boy said about the base malt.. I've come up with this recipe (from what I have at in stock)

will this have a nice Fat Yak type of taste? or will it just be arse?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Copy of Fat Yak - Knock Off
Brewer: Gavins Brewhouse
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.72 L
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 80.36 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 8.93 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 8.93 %
0.10 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 1.79 %
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.6 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
30.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.60 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.60 L of water at 74.5 C 65.6 C
10 min Mash Out Add 9.35 L of water at 94.9 C 75.6 C

looks fine to me. Although JW pils has a distinct sweetness, i'd go for JW Traditional Ale if you have it.

Cheers fourstar I do have JW Trad Ale.. I will try this next time :)

The best bit about this hobby is we get to drink the failures to figure out where we went wrong to improve next time, there is always next time :icon_cheers:

Lefty
haha so inspirational, im just enjoying my first ever beer atm thinking about how i could have improved it! ;)

if anyone could lay out a "good" partial recipe for the FY id definatly give it a go

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Copy of Fat Yak - Knock Off
Brewer: Gavins Brewhouse
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.72 L
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 80.36 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 8.93 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 8.93 %
0.10 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 1.79 %
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.6 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
30.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.60 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.60 L of water at 74.5 C 65.6 C
10 min Mash Out Add 9.35 L of water at 94.9 C 75.6 C

brewing this right now---- although I've changed the base malts to Ale after advice... halve way through Mashing.. testing out my new 100kg scales to measure the water going into the mash.. lot easier..

Let us know how it turns out. Love how the FatYak Smacks you in the mouth with every mouthful...... :)

On a side note, I would have thought the IBU reading would be a little more than 26.4.

Any chance of a can kit version, for fat yak any idea's?

Let us know how it turns out. Love how the FatYak Smacks you in the mouth with every mouthful...... :)

On a side note, I would have thought the IBU reading would be a little more than 26.4.

It's the late hops that give you that feeling, not the bitterness. Drink a Matilda Bay APA just after a Fat Yak and you'll see what I mean.

my cascade hops are wrong in beersmith.. it'll be around 34 IBU

Just took a sample reading 1.016 the taste was very green (Hoppy) little like the JS Golden Ale.. we'll see how it goes.

I bought a case of this on the weekend and can't agree with the above. Maybe I just don't know how to taste diacetyl but coudn't pick up any butterscotch.

Fat Yak very much reminds me of a lightweight Squires Golden - much more restrained in terms of hoppiness and maltiness. I believe the hop used is Cascade but I couldn't pick it in particular - just some slight Americany hop undertones.

Is it just me detecting an ever so slight euro malt character? I don't know, a hint of munich or something?

I thought it was meant to be a lightweight Alpha. It's cheaper but not in the same class.

I was at a talk where Chuck Hahn said the hops were cascade and nelson sauvin. I was also at the Cascade Brewery where they were brewing fat Yak, plenty od US Cascade on a pallet waiting to be used. So when I try try clone I'll start with these two hops, couldn't see cascade dry hopping, so I'll probably just late hop. No recipie formulated yet.

Hey Fourstar,

Thanks for your theoretical recipe. I gave it a go for my last brew and drinking the last of it now. It turned out to be flavoursome beer. Even, no especially, the megaswill drinkers enjoyed. Good malt but more bitterness needed I think. Not too similar to Fat Yak - but a great beer all the same.

Good work. :D

I also had the same results... its tastie but no clone.

Hey Fourstar,

Thanks for your theoretical recipe. I gave it a go for my last brew and drinking the last of it now. It turned out to be flavoursome beer. Even, no especially, the megaswill drinkers enjoyed. Good malt but more bitterness needed I think. Not too similar to Fat Yak - but a great beer all the same.

Hey Fourstar,

Comparitively, is the IBU range similar to Fat Yak? Or do you need more for 'your palate'? :p Just wondering as i might do this beer soon as my housemate is buying fat yak every second 6 pack! Is the malt close to the original or too 'flavoursome'?

I also had the same results... its tastie but no clone.

Didn't you adjust the recipe i formulated Gava?

Comparitively, is the IBU range similar to Fat Yak? Or do you need more for 'your palate'? :p Just wondering as i might do this beer soon as my housemate is buying fat yak every second 6 pack! Is the malt close to the original or too 'flavoursome'?

I think I need more for my palate but maybe also a more for the Yak. I think the malt is too flavoursome but hey, I love malty beers. Get into it and let us know what you think of your own recipe....

Get into it and let us know what you think of your own recipe....

Yeah, i probaably should. I had some fat yak yesterday and i can vouch it isn't 40 ibu like my recipe is set as! More like a 25-30. Either way i think i will do mine (when and if) with a lowww mash temp and maybe pilsner malt as the base.

I was a big advocate of Fat Yak but this weekend I drank it on tap at 3! different places in the same day on the Sunshine coast.

And it's really gone down hill. Really far. Bit of a shame.

So I'm thinking screw making a clone, try and make something like the original Fat Yak, or something that sits between Fat Yak and Alpha Pale Ale.

To my tastes this beer is not very hoppy at all. Not as hoppy as LCBA. I had a little chuckle when I read on the label that they use a "truckload of hops". Still a great beer, I really enjoy it, but I actually find it more malty than hoppy.

So yeah, whatever the hops are, if I was going to brew it I wouldn't be using much of anything... Maybe 1g/L late in the boil and that's it. The recipe quoted above will be WAY too hoppy in my view.

They both taste of passionfruit to me. Could they be adding a little of that? Just a question.

I still can't get over the number of people who want to brew multinational crap! Why not try & clone something from Feral, BridgeRoad or Red Hill? Support the independent little guys & you will have good beer for the rest of your lives, not just keep Foster's shareholders happy!

Latest posts

Back