Fat Yak - Ag Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I should add that the IBU's calculated were Tinseth....

I use the calcuthing to converterise it. - scratch that, turns out I'm using tinseth too.

I notice that they have listed using POR on the site, going to give that a go. Is there any reason you'd pick Horizon over that?

Since Matilda Bay went to using POR (mayb it's just me?) I reckon Fat Yak has gone to shit. Tried bottled and kegged, both fresh (keg tapped 2 days prior0 and they were both horrendous.

I'll stick to my sightly modified version that I personally like...

21L

3.5kg (77.78%) JWD Trad (can use Pils or any light base really)
0.5kg (11.11%) Vienna
0.25kg (5.56%) Carapils (can use any crystal)
0.25kg (5.56%) Wheat

10gm Casc @ 60
5gm NS @ 45
15gm Casc @ 10
10gm NS @ 10
10gm Casc @ Flameout (Cube Hop)
10gm NS @ Flameout (Cube Hop)

Dry hop with 10gm of Casc & NS at Day 5, ferm 18c with US05 for 2 weeks, CC for 1 week at 0c.
36 IBU, 4.8% @ 73% eff.

brad81 said:
I use the calcuthing to converterise it. - scratch that, turns out I'm using tinseth too.

I notice that they have listed using POR on the site, going to give that a go. Is there any reason you'd pick Horizon over that?
I switched to Horizon as I personally like it as a smooth bitterer.

Each brewer and their equipment will get slightly different results particularly when it comes to hop utilisation.
The recipes above will give you a starting point on which you can make adjustments to suit your tastes.

There is some detail on another Down Under Australian beer forum with a recipe that Drew from WA made and it is very close I believe to the real deal as well. I'm sure a google will find it. :)

slcmorro said:
Since Matilda Bay went to using POR (mayb it's just me?) I reckon Fat Yak has gone to shit. Tried bottled and kegged, both fresh (keg tapped 2 days prior0 and they were both horrendous.
It's not just you. I seen an official Matilda Bay poster a few months ago, that stated Fat Yak includes POR, Cascade and NS

Mogamble said:
It's not just you. I seen an official Matilda Bay poster a few months ago, that stated Fat Yak includes POR, Cascade and NS
Nah, I know they use POR. I meant it's gone to shit since they have, at least that's what my tastebuds tell me.

DU99 said:
That looks like it DU99. It is on a different forum but it looks the same.

I have a FY brewing at the moment with Drews hop schedule but as it is my first time at his clone I cant say how it will be.

I hope to have it in the keg in about a fortnite so I can report how it is then.

It is hard to get it dead right now since they have stuffed the original recipe on the commercial example as we can really only go on memory. :D :unsure:

Just on a side note to you guys intending to brew this or get more info on the recipe.

It was the tragic event with the Malaysian Airline being shot down which unfortunately claimed the lives of both Drews parents, so PM's may be difficult for him at the moment.

So, first glass poured tonight. There is a harshness in the bittering which lingers longer than the other flavours. I'm going to grab hold of a 6 pack and do a side by side, but I'm not sure I remember it being so harsh.

4.25 kg Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (6.9 EBC) Grain 1 81.0 %
0.40 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 2 7.6 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 3 7.6 %
0.20 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (108.3 EBC) Grain 4 3.8 %
12.25 g Pride of Ringwood [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 5 10.5 IBUs
13.50 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 6.1 IBUs
13.50 g Nelson Sauvin [13.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 10.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
13.50 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.7 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 10 -
13.50 g Nelson Sauvin [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 11 5.3 IBUs
2.0 pkg American West Coast (Lallemand #BRY-97) Yeast 12 -
25.00 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
Tasty though dicko, thanks!!

You may find a different actual hop utilisation to me.
I brew in a 20 l BM and I know I dont get the same utilisation as I did with a gas fired kettle.
I had to experiment a few times to get it close to my taste.

I see you have used medium crystal.
During the building of this recipe for one brew I used Bairds dark crystal instead of the light crystal and in my opinion it was a better beer but it wasn't a Fat Yak.

I haven't really tried to work out hop utilisation as yet, might check it out.

I order all my stuff through the same supplier, at the time I mustn't have been able to find or identify a light crystal.

It is a beautiful colour, but I think I'll filter it next time too.

IMG_20140906_223719.jpg

Thanks for the feedback dicko regardless.

Cheers,

Brad

Unfortunately not much reliable worthwhile information I've encountered here as yet in relation to the grain bill.

Fat Yak is DARK. It has more than 200g crystal.. Try 400-450g in a standard 20l brew complimenting pils or pale base malt, 5-10% sucrose

I, too used to really like this ale but it's damn well terrible these days. Megaswill at it's most unbalanced finest. It's sweet without much hop character at all, appearing a brown/deep amber. I've also encountered alot of the same misinformation on other recipes, namely Pirate Life pale ale. That's a very dark pale ale

Back