Fat Yak - Ag Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangles

Reaction score
Have a fatal attraction to the Fat Yak at the moment. Anyone out there developing a clone??

Not here but i plant to have a go.

I got a 6 pack and shared it with my dad and brother and it was very nice indeed.

COuld have used a bit more malt but went down a treat.

Anyone know roughly what hops it uses?

Not here but i plant to have a go.

I got a 6 pack and shared it with my dad and brother and it was very nice indeed.

COuld have used a bit more malt but went down a treat.

Bit of INFO, another site mentions early hopping, late hopping and dry hopping in the fermenter....

I liked this beer....

:icon_cheers: CB

I'd be tempted to say NZ hops for Fat Yak.
Possibly NS in conjunction with something else.

Don't quote me on that, but it seems to share similiar characteristics.

Edit: Beaten to the punch. Good link CB!

Now this is a yak.

Yak_at_third_lake_in_Gokyo.jpg

I've been thinking about a clone of the Fat Yak using some inspiration from Tony's LCBA....would love some feedback

Recipe: Fat Yak
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 28.09 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pilsner, Malt (Joe White) 77.78 %
0.50 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) 11.11 %
0.25 kg CaraPils (Weyermann) 5.56 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) Grain 5.56 %
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (45 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (45 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin[11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs US05 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.50 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.00 L of water at 71.3 C 65.0 C

Bit of a gut feeling on this one; Done a few side by sides to compare yeasts lately and thought I'd never find a beer style that was suited to S-04.. I have a feeling this one might be it..

I've been putting two 1.5 litre next to my main fermenter, one with a different yeast and one with the same (as the main fermenter) as a control. I'd be really interested in a comparison between US-05 and S-04 particularly for this recipe.
Any chance you could pull it off Paddo?

Lloydie

To my tastes this beer is not very hoppy at all. Not as hoppy as LCBA. I had a little chuckle when I read on the label that they use a "truckload of hops". Still a great beer, I really enjoy it, but I actually find it more malty than hoppy.

So yeah, whatever the hops are, if I was going to brew it I wouldn't be using much of anything... Maybe 1g/L late in the boil and that's it. The recipe quoted above will be WAY too hoppy in my view.

Jeebus, it's got over 200gm of hops in it!

It ought to taste better than Slack Yak

:icon_drool2:

I hope so, I like fat yak though, but as lloydieP was saying above on Paddos recipe US04 will leave a drier beer ?!?

Not sure about the S04, whilst I agree it would make a nice beer (esp. with the NS) I don't think it will give the crispness of the Fat Yak that I'm after...

Still a great beer, I really enjoy it, but I actually find it more malty than hoppy.

Doesn't sound like 04 then... Rips the 'richness' out, and FG may bit a bit high... Although the gaps in flavour do seem to return (a bit) after some lengthy conditioning)
I might be getting a little too used to bigger beers cos malty isn't what I think of with FatYak...
Ah well, off to the bottlo for some SamuelSmith Boston Lager.. :icon_drool2:

I've tasted this one a couple of times and frankly haven't been impresses enough to bother making a clone, however
Considering where it comes from I think you can take it as given that there would be 2 maybe 3 malts max and 10-15% sugar in the grain bill.
I swear I can taste Topaz in there, as its one of the cheapest hops available in Australia, no surprise that it's showing up in a few beers.

As a first guess at a recipe-
BB Pale 80%
CaraMalt (Aust) 10%
Sugar 10%
Bittered to about 25ish IBU's with Topaz

Finished with whatever you recon you're tasting

Now, just have to figure out how to get as much butterscotch into the brew as the samples I tasted had. From all reports the amount of Diacetyl is highly variable, that's a worry isn't it?

MHB

Now, just have to figure out how to get as much butterscotch into the brew as the samples I tasted had. From all reports the amount of Diacetyl is highly variable, that's a worry isn't it?

MHB
Yes some of the keg stuff has been well over the diacetyl level of comfort, the only good stuff I have had has been in the bottle.Its a worry all right.
GB

Yes some of the keg stuff has been well over the diacetyl level of comfort, the only good stuff I have had has been in the bottle.Its a worry all right.
GB

I've only had one good sample of fat yak, and that was the first I ever had. Since then, complete butterscotch rubbish. Way to go MB for launching your new flagship beer full of diacetyl. If anything its good training to recognising the fault.

I cannot believe they didn't withdraw the beer, for the sake of their good(ish) name.

the original fat yak I tasted was a dumbed down version of alpha pale ale. Alpha on tap is still close to the best APA I've ever tasted. Used to have all sorts of resiny dry hopped goodness in it. Can't get it anymore which is a real shame.

I bought a case of this on the weekend and can't agree with the above. Maybe I just don't know how to taste diacetyl but coudn't pick up any butterscotch.

Fat Yak very much reminds me of a lightweight Squires Golden - much more restrained in terms of hoppiness and maltiness. I believe the hop used is Cascade but I couldn't pick it in particular - just some slight Americany hop undertones.

Is it just me detecting an ever so slight euro malt character? I don't know, a hint of munich or something?

Only tried it once and while I agree the hop presence is quite tame, my interpretation of the beer was that they had deliberately restrained the hops so the intended malt flavour could shine through, which to me tasted like a fair dose of Vienna, it didn't register to me as being like butterscotch at all.

I didn't find it a bad beer or even a good beer and probably wouldn't buy it again, but for drinkers who would find a standard APA a bit of a quantum leap in there limited taste experience (and many do!) its a gentle compromise.

Cheers,
BB

Something i knocked up a while ago in beersmith. Might try my hand at brewing it for summer. Still weighing up to use 100g of crystal or 200g of caramalt. decisions, decisions.

Fat Yak Clone
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 80.4 %
0.50 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
30.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 28.5 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50%] (10 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
30.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50%] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 39.3 IBU
Est Color: 4.9 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 71.1 C 65.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 97.6 C 77.0 C 10 min

What do you reckon about dry hopping fourstar? not needed for this one?

Latest posts

Back