Fat Yak - Ag Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absolutely no affiliation with anyone whatsoever... I just love independent aussie brews, and believe that they need as much support as possible... And I don't like how Foster's go about spending loads on marketing to make a beer 'good'. Head on down to Slowbeer or Purvis cellars and get a taste of real micro beers, not macro-micro beers, if ya know what I mean....
And, hey, I may have made some big comments, but at least we got dicussing something, right? It's good to see all angles.
And I'm glad you can laugh.

Finally had a Fat Yak again on the weekend and the recipe I used is very close... as stated before it is more hoppy.. I think if you were going for a true "clone" you were ease off the late hop addition and you should be good to go...

I have a keg still of the recipe listed in this thread... Not sure if its a fat yak clone but tastes nice.. Little hoppy for me (its good once its warmer) mind you I did subsitute some grains...

To be honest I haven't had a fat yak for awhile so im not sure how close it is.. I might get a sixer and see..

In the end , a nice hoppy beer very drinkable..

I have a keg still of the recipe listed in this thread... Not sure if its a fat yak clone but tastes nice.. Little hoppy for me (its good once its warmer) mind you I did subsitute some grains...

To be honest I haven't had a fat yak for awhile so im not sure how close it is.. I might get a sixer and see..

In the end , a nice hoppy beer very drinkable..

Gava Please advise and update and thanks for thread.
I've brewed a few darker beers lately. I, and a friend likes the Yak. Thought Id give it a go for a bit of variety. What would be your suggestions on the grain, Re: above subs?
I saw 4*s post and respect his judgment but thought there could be a bit of something else in there. Maybe a bit of Munich or vienna. Are you suggesting not the case?
I thought I might give this a go with Budvar 2000 yeast as its going to be available off a Bohemian Pils soon.

4* Did you get around to brewing this one?

Daz

Edit: Stuttering

So my brother's favourite beer is Fat Yak. His birthday is coming up soon so I thought that I would have a go at brewing something similar to it and taking a keg around to his party. I have been looking through this thread and other parts of the internet and have put together bits and pieces of information. There seem to be a few different takes on it.

This is from the Matilda Bay website:

Vital stats

Birthdate: 2008

ABV: 4.7%

IBU: 25

Hops: Pride of Ringwood, Cascade, Nelson Sauvin

Malts: Pale, Crystal

So I am thinking something like:

95% JW Traditional Ale
5% JW Caramalt

POR at 60min for 10 IBU
Nelson Sauvin and Cascade in equal parts at flame out for 15 IBU (no chill, assuming 20 minute boil equivalent)
Nelson Sauvin and Cascade 0.5g/L each dry hopped

US05

I am not too sure about the grain bill though. I assume that they will be using malts similar to the Joe White ones. I am just not sure on which crystal malt (caramalt or crystal) and which pale malt (ale or pilsner) and at what ratios.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone brewed something similar recently?

So I bought a couple of these tonight to see if I could pull anything out. Unfortunately I am not very good at identifying ingredients when tasting a beer so I wasn't able to come up with anything there. I was able to measure the FG though.

I got an FG of 1.011 and I think this works out to be an OG 1.047 and an apparent attenuation of 75.8%. So I think that mashing at around 66C will get me there abouts.

I had a crack a while back. I lost my recipe unfortunately (burglers took my laptop... and my backup hdd) but I'm certain I used crystal 60L, which I think was used at about 5%. That seemed to give it pretty reasonable colour and those subtle scorched caramel tones I associate with F/Y.

I mainly used this recipe as the based, but did some subbing to use up a can of goo I was graciously given for my birthday. Looking at it again though, I didn't use any wheat.

I was pretty happy with the beer overall. I think your recipe looks quite reasonable; but I'm not experienced enough to make any suggestions.

Here's a popular one

Type: All Grain
Date: 22/06/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Brewer: Martin Boil Size: 33.27 l
Asst Brewer: Buddy the wonder dog
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Pot (13 Gal/50 L) - BIAB
End of Boil Volume 27.90 l
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 21.30 l
Est Mash Efficiency 81.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Taste Rating(out of 50): 41.0
Taste Notes: .

Ingredients
Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.50 kg JW Traditional Ale Malt (5.6 EBC) Grain 1 67.3 %
1.20 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 223.1 %
0.25 kg Caramel Malt - 120L 6-Row (Briess) (236.4 EBC) Grain 34.8 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 44.8 %

14.00 g Topaz [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 25.0 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

20.00 g Cascade [6.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.1 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [6.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 % Bitterness: 32.1 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kcal/l Est Color: 24.4 EBC

Mash Profile
Mash Name: BIAB, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 5.20 kg Sparge Water: 0.00 l Grain Temperature: 22.2 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 22.2 C Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 36.45 l of water at 67.7 C 64.4 C 90 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min
Sparge Step: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a light body beer profile.
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3 Pressure/Weight: 125.27 g Carbonation Used: Bottle with 125.27 g Corn Sugar Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21.1 C Age for: 30.00 days Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 18.3 C
Notes
Another version of the recipe i've subbed out the JW Cara and the 120L and gone with straight 60L for a slightly lighter version......i think the very light fruity Prune notes that come through in the version with 120L work really well with the Nelson Sauvin / Cascade combination, adding a level of complexity that works well.
Created with BeerSmith

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking about using some wheat but the Matilda Bay website put me off it. They have wheat listed as an ingredient for one of their other beers but not the fat yak. They wouldn't have any reason to not list it on the website right?

HBHB, that seems like a lot of caramalt. Granted I have never used it so don't really know. What is it like in those proportions?

I just brewed
3.5 kg Aussie Ale grain
1kg Wheat grain
250g CaraMunich grain

20 ibu select (had it on hand)

16g nelson 5 mins
30g cascade 5 mins

20g both flameout

And will add 20g each dry.

Hit 1.045 SG. Hope it's malty enough for all those hops

Hoping for a pretty intense flavoured and 35-40 ibu fat yak style beer. Will report back if it's any good. If not discard this advice.

primusbrew said:
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking about using some wheat but the Matilda Bay website put me off it. They have wheat listed as an ingredient for one of their other beers but not the fat yak. They wouldn't have any reason to not list it on the website right?

HBHB, that seems like a lot of caramalt. Granted I have never used it so don't really know. What is it like in those proportions?
It's got a bucketload and it balances out nicely in that recipe. It's more like the original version of Fat Yak from 4-5 or so years ago.when it had colour, flavour and aroma.

HBHB said:
It's got a bucketload and it balances out nicely in that recipe. It's more like the original version of Fat Yak from 4-5 or so years ago.when it had colour, flavour and aroma.
This beer is not a patch on how it was when it was first released.
It now lacks any malt and hop character and all I can really taste in it is a bit of Nelson Sauvin in an insipid malt drink.
What a shame, it was once a good beer.

DU99 said:
:icon_offtopic: what yeast would you use.

I've used US 05, BRY 97 1056 1469 Am Ale II and Denny's Favourite in it DU. They all work well, but i keep going back to either AM Ale II or BRY97 with 2 packs.

dicko said:
This beer is not a patch on how it was when it was first released.
It now lacks any malt and hop character and all I can really taste in it is a bit of Nelson Sauvin in an insipid malt drink.
What a shame, it was once a good beer.
Not even in the same ball park for quality like it used to be now Dicko. That recipe above will take you back to the good old days of it though. Rich coppery red colour, bit of body and lots of flavour and aroma.

Once done, you'll understand the crystal i used in it.

HBHB said:
I've used US 05, BRY 97 1056 1469 Am Ale II and Denny's Favourite in it DU. They all work well, but i keep going back to either AM Ale II or BRY97 with 2 packs.

Not even in the same ball park for quality like it used to be now Dicko. That recipe above will take you back to the good old days of it though. Rich coppery red colour, bit of body and lots of flavour and aroma.

Once done, you'll understand the crystal i used in it.
Bry 97 works well and the next one I do will use Denny's 1450.
Might give your recipe a go, Martin.

Here is a recipe that I worked on with some assistance from other brewers and in the end it was very very close

Recipe: 041 Fat Yak Version 3
Brewer: Dicko
Asst Brewer:
Style: Australian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.46 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l
Bottling Volume: 25.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU

3.41 kg Pale Malt, (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 73.2 %
0.64 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (15.0 SRM) Grain 13.8 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 8.6 %
0.20 kg Crystal, Pale Bairds (50.8 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
9.50 g Horizon [10.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10.9 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6.3 IBUs
15.00 g Nelson Sauvin [10.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10.9 IBUs
4.35 g BREW BRITE (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining -
15.00 g Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 3.7 IBUs
3.19 g YEAST NUTRIENT (Boil 10.0 mins) Other -
15.00 g Nelson Sauvin [10.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 5.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast -
25.00 g Cascade [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs - in the cube

Mash Schedule 66 deg 60 mins

The whirlpool hops were added at 80 deg c and steeped for 20 minutes
The horizon hops could be substituted for any bittering hop. POR would be fine.

And here is a pic of the brew compared to the real thing on the right hand side.

Fat Yak.jpg

pressure_tested said:
I just brewed
3.5 kg Aussie Ale grain
1kg Wheat grain
250g CaraMunich grain

20 ibu select (had it on hand)

16g nelson 5 mins
30g cascade 5 mins

20g both flameout

And will add 20g each dry.

Hit 1.045 SG. Hope it's malty enough for all those hops

Hoping for a pretty intense flavoured and 35-40 ibu fat yak style beer. Will report back if it's any good. If not discard this advice.
So I'm sorry I took so long to come back here with results.
DO NOT BREW THE ABOVE RECIPE if you want fat yak
Malt bill was way too simple.

Do brew it if you like hop forward beers. it turned out kind of like a session ipa or something. I'm loving it but Definitely no fat yak

Drinking the version in post 127.very nice,the toffee/caramel flavours are there so is the fruit.gave a sample bottle to one of the guy's and he reckons very nice.will be brewing again.used west coast yeast(MJ)and used briess 2 row.

dicko said:
25.00 g Cascade [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs - in the cube
dicko, just for clarification - did you cube this?

I want to give this a go, but need to know if I need to up the hops.

Thanks,

Brad

brad81 said:
dicko, just for clarification - did you cube this?

I want to give this a go, but need to know if I need to up the hops.

Thanks,

Brad
Hi Brad,

Apology for not getting to your enquiry earlier but I have only just got home.

the 25 gr of Cascade is in the secondary cube for 7 days.

The "15.00 g Nelson Sauvin [10.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 5.5 IBUs" is in the kettle after I have chilled the wort to 80 deg c and then drop the hops in and let the wort sit at 80 deg for 20 minutes, then start the chill again and let the temp come down to pitching temp. I leave the lid on during this 20 minutes to retain as much of the aroma as possible.

If you give it a go let me know what you think....I have found it very close to the real deal :) :chug:

Look I know you have a life to live etc, but I'm expecting a response within the hour, not 8!!! :D

Seriously though, thanks for the quick response. I'll get the order into G&G tonight and brew this next Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers,

Brad

brad81 said:
Look I know you have a life to live etc, but I'm expecting a response within the hour, not 8!!! :D

Seriously though, thanks for the quick response. I'll get the order into G&G tonight and brew this next Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers,

Brad
:D :lol: :D

No worries....

Dont loose sleep if Horizon is not available, you could use POR or Galena Or Magnum Or any neutral bittering hop to the same IBU.

I have done this brew with US05 Bry97 and Denny's favourite 50 and they all work well.

Good brewing mate.

Latest posts

Back