Fat Yak - Ag Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried making one of theses recipes yet? if so how'd it go?

Thinking of doing this as my next brew..

Has anyone tried making one of theses recipes yet? if so how'd it go?

Thinking of doing this as my next brew..

So you didn't end up doing my theorised recipe?

Be interested to see what its like. if i had some NS i would be doing it right about now. a decent summer quaffer!

not yet.. I thought if someone else had brewed it already and may have required some adjustments I could learn... but im going to go with your recipe and see how it turns out..

(I only tasted fat yak myself the other day, With the warmer days coming I think this is a must)

not yet.. I thought if someone else had brewed it already and may have required some adjustments I could learn... but im going to go with your recipe and see how it turns out..

(I only tasted fat yak myself the other day, With the warmer days coming I think this is a must)

Interested to know how it goes mate. Looking back on the recipe, i think it should do the FY justice, might not be a clone, but close enough to be a long lost cousin! :icon_chickcheers:

I know Paddo had a go already. Seem to remember him saying some good things about it.

I just racked and dry-hopped my extract version of his FY clone recipe and is smelling pretty darn good.

Yeah it was a great beer. Not too similar to Fat Yak though as hop flavour and aroma were a lot more in your face. Having said that, I preferred mine :)

I found the cascade and nelson worked really well together and will do it again soon. Needless to say I got through this batch pretty quickly :icon_cheers:

4.0 kg Joe White Ale Malt
0.5kg Joe White Wheat Malt
0.2kg Crystal 40
5g Nelson Sauvin, 10g Cascade Hops @ 45 min
10g Nelson Sauvin, 15g Cascade Hops @ 10 min
15g Nelson Sauvin, 15g Cascade Hops @ 0 min
20g Cascade Hops dry hopped

Nice. Can't see how that recipe could be bad even if it turned out nothing like fat yak.

Nice stuff, might have to break out the BIAB rig and have a shot at this one. Agreed that its a pleasing beer (if you get a good one?) but I haven't had a dud myself yet. Haven't tried it in bottles, and the places I've had it on tap had a high turnover of it. That was up at Blue Cow ski bar, by the way.

Anywho, will write back with an eventual recipe and report when I've gotten around to it.

Cheers - boingk

You guys might struggle a little to get the right malt profile on Fat Yak.. its made at Cascade now and Cascade malt their own barley. Now I don't know if they use that brewery malted barley for the FY... but I would suspect they do. So I would probably be looking to use a malt closer to a continental pilsner malt as the base. Think about the malt flavours in Cacade premium... pale, quite "pilsner" in character with fresh bread, a little hint of toasty and with higher DMS than you get in mainstream malts. Failing that - the sacks of malt I saw lying around on the floor at MB seemed to all be Weyermann.. and Fosters buys all their main malts from Barret Burston... so the original Fat Yak was probably made using either Weyermann or BB malts.

Also, I seriously doubt if there is a sugar addition in the FY - the MB boys (and Girl) aren't prone to adjunct beers and I don't taste that serious a shift in the beer since it moved from being produced at the Garage to being made at Cascade.

Good response Thirsty. It seems to account for the flavour change i noticed from when it first made its way around in kegs.

I'd have to agree with the pilsner note from a recent tasting from a bottle, the base malt is realtivly 'flat'. it would be safe to say you could scrap the munich addition from my recipe if you want todays version.

Ingredients
0.50 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 1.8 %

are there any subsitute for the above grains?

I have the following in my store
Weyermann - Carahell
Weyermann - Munich 1
Joe White - Wheat

hey guys, i am new to this, i was trying to find a way to clone fat yak with a beer kit? any tips, i am still an amatuer, and too scared to to an all grain beer.

hey guys, i am new to this, i was trying to find a way to clone fat yak with a beer kit? any tips, i am still an amatuer, and too scared to to an all grain beer.

I'd doubt you'd be able to get very close, but I'd imagine if you used a coopers pale ale tin, a can of pale liquid malt extract, and the above late hop additions, that's as close as you'll get.

I'd doubt you'd be able to get very close, but I'd imagine if you used a coopers pale ale tin, a can of pale liquid malt extract, and the above late hop additions, that's as close as you'll get.

BeerGimp, I really do think it's worth a try. You might have to figure out how you can do a full wort boil for the hop additions and i'd be inclined to partial mash 1kg pilsner malt to throw in instead of the 1kg extract. This will give your beer a lovely head retention capability and 'freshen' up the kit. You don't say where you are but if your in Brisbane I might be able to help you.

Partial mashing is easy and can be dome with simple kitchen items.

The best bit about this hobby is we get to drink the failures to figure out where we went wrong to improve next time, there is always next time :icon_cheers:

Lefty

are there any subsitute for the above grains?

I have the following in my store
Weyermann - Carahell
Weyermann - Munich 1
Joe White - Wheat

Carahell for Caramalt - Light crystal sweetness
What for Carafoam/carapils - head retention/dextrinous

Id prefer Carared for caramalt but the carahell should suffice.

BeerGimp, I really do think it's worth a try. You might have to figure out how you can do a full wort boil for the hop additions and i'd be inclined to partial mash 1kg pilsner malt to throw in instead of the 1kg extract. This will give your beer a lovely head retention capability and 'freshen' up the kit. You don't say where you are but if your in Brisbane I might be able to help you.

Partial mashing is easy and can be dome with simple kitchen items.

The best bit about this hobby is we get to drink the failures to figure out where we went wrong to improve next time, there is always next time :icon_cheers:

Lefty

sounds great, i am in tassie tho. but i think what i just did was a partial mash, not sure. i just made a chocolate stout, used some roasted malt, crushed it up, boiled it for a while, let it cool, then strained the malt out, and used the malty water in the brew. is that what you mean?

I recently made an extract version of Paddo's recipe above.....still in the secondary but looking and tasting damn fine so far....

See here.

The first brew I ever did had a partial mash....I know it wasn't perfectly at the temperature that it was suppsoed to be but the beer turned out fantastic.

My suggestion is to give it a go.

Latest posts

Back