False Bottom For A Rectangular Esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok then I want to come from the other angle I have a 44l esky and want to do small 22l 1050 brews to start with is my esky to big ??

I filled it the other week with 25l of 70c water and it lost 5c in 60 mins would this be normal I was thinking that it has to much air in it therefore is losing heat am I just being to picky or should I get a smaller esky or is there something else i can do

sintax

sintax69 said:
ok then I want to come from the other angle I have a 44l esky and want to do small 22l 1050 brews to start with is my esky to big ??
I regularly mash for 23L brews in 44L esky. It works fine. The temperature seems to remain stable for 40 minutes or so (I wonder if mashing is exothermic) then possibly drop off a degree or two.

The possible heat loss was a major reason for my decision to go with a 32 L number. Seems that such a size will fit my needs perfect

Will

The old Scotch brewers used to cover the mash with about 1" of whole pale malt. You could do that or make a disk of styrofoam (wrapped in a clear plastic sheet) that fits snugly just over the grains.

This heatloss to the air above a small mash is the reason I hung on to my old 20L Rubbermaid tun, perfect for small mashes to 6.5Kg or so

Jovial Monk

Did you have any grain in there sintax??, when you lost the 5oC? and did you have the lid on annd off all the time???

Dumb questions,I know, but they help find the answer

My EVIL post....No 666

All your posts are evil Linz :lol: Comes from being a bloody Dragons fan :lol: :chug:

How are ya by the way?

Shawn.

Steady there Gough.

Doesn't the forum charter specifically prohibit the propagation of football rivalry?

Besides, did U taste my smoked stout the other day?

Keith at the lhbs was fond of it; and it has matured nicely. took a while to mature @ 7.5%.

...and haven't I gone off topic? I found a tangent and followed it.

ciao
Seth

BTW the 28 litre mash tun contains a smaller vessel for sour mash and an ice pack for the cooler (when used as a cooler), and is actually $20. Pick one up tomorrow, maybe two. One for FAZU.

We have a forum charter? Top darts! As for the football rivalry, after coming dead last in this year's AHB tipping comp, no-one pays too much notice to my comments anyway ;) Kept picking the Knights who had an 'off year' at best...

I didn't get to try your stout the other day Weiz. Hope you've got some left. I bottled an IPA tonight and will be bottling the Xmas Pilsner on Saturday, so maybe we could swap a couple? The IPA had to survive a stuck sparge but I've still got high hopes :)

What was that about highjacking the thread? :D

Shawn.

linz Just water (my tight ass low Achol ale) and lid on for hole time

sintax
theres no such thing as a dumb question just dumb answers dumb people dumb methods dumb dumbs etc

Could be that the grain creates a thermal reservoir and loses heat less slowly than Sintax's famous Just Water blonde low alcohol ale?

sintax69 said:

I filled it the other week with 25l of 70c water and it lost 5c in 60 mins would this be normal I was thinking that it has to much air in it therefore is losing heat am I just being to picky or should I get a smaller esky or is there something else i can do

sintax
Cover the mash with a sheet of aluminium foil. The trick is to minimise heat loss to the airspace.

I'm mashing about 3 kilos of grain give or take half a kilo in a 48 Qt esky and I have not noticed a big temp drop. Its always dropped about 1 deg.

cheers

Latest posts

Back