Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We're thinking about stocking extract… what are the best brands out there?

What do you guys use and approve of?

Is this something that is usually a pickup from the LHBS, or would you consider (or do you already) have it delivered to you?

Cheers.

If my LHBS had a 44Gal barrel that I could just grab weighed amounts from, I'd probably buy more for doing quick and easy keg fillers and to chuck in high gravity beers

I've used various brands maybe once or twice so I can't really comment on them. However, I've used a fair bit of Briess and have found that to be consistently good across all the types I've used. It has good flavour and average fermentability (not too low attenuation (as in high FG) like I've read others suffer from). I have noticed the "Pilsen Light" can throw a bit of chill haze. The others might too but I've used them in darker beers so I didn't take much notice. But schmeh, I'm not too fussed about chill haze when I use extract. If I produce the wort myself I like to eliminate it purely for pride in the quality of my work. :p

EDIT: Oh yeah, I always buy mine from the LHBS. Usually in 5 kg bags of DME. I use it for starters, topping up OG on big beers (due to limited mash tun capacity) etc.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just using this a sounding board to see if we can be of any use to people.

I definitely prefer Briess or proprietary stuff. Briess has a lot of options.

Cheeky Peak used to do good, affordable bags of malt extract.

I prefer to use extract that has been stored in a bag or plastic than tins like Black Rock or Coopers.

Forever Wort said:
I definitely prefer Briess or proprietary stuff. Briess has a lot of options.

Cheeky Peak used to do good, affordable bags of malt extract.

I prefer to use extract that has been stored in a bag or plastic than tins like Black Rock or Coopers.
Thanks mate

Not an extract brewer but very interested in locally stocked weyermann Liquid.
Also briess. Extract made by brewers for brewing.

Yep, I'll second Weyermann and Briess. Superb. Amazing flavor. Used them both, would brew with them again cept'n I'm in the grip of the grain.

Briess have a great range as per National Home brew.
I'd look to using that stuff.

Nice work Spiesy. If you can get the Briess Rye in stock too that would be awesome ;)

Thanks guys.

The site is growing weekly, thanks for the feedback - it's all taken onboard.

I am a extract convert. Its a great way to build your own beer without the hassle of full grain. I think with just a little promotion your clientele would embrace the product. After all, I got into it when my LHBS had nothing left.

Best move ever.

As for your business, you would gain some benefit from the sale of hops.

Yumo!

TS

Three Sheets said:
I am a extract convert. Its a great way to build your own beer without the hassle of full grain. I think with just a little promotion your clientele would embrace the product. After all, I got into it when my LHBS had nothing left.

Best move ever.

As for your business, you would gain some benefit from the sale of hops.

Yumo!

TS
Apparently they do sell hops. I'm not sure how long they've been selling them as they seem to be expanding pretty fast, but they seem to have discount prices already which could suggest that they've been selling them for a while.

verysupple said:
Apparently they do sell hops. I'm not sure how long they've been selling them as they seem to be expanding pretty fast, but they seem to have discount prices already which could suggest that they've been selling them for a while.
Been selling hops since day one.

Latest posts

Back