Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Homebrewer79 & Neill,

I have lots of new info floating around my head, probably didn't word it correctly, was never going to boil the grains, i meant boiled water (had read 70-80deg is optimum temp) but i do thank you for clearly explaining the correct procedure, im sure it will help others just as well as it has helped me. I really appreciate your assistance! Im good to go and look forward to drinking this, im more excited than Big Kev!!

yep, the grain prep instructions have definitely helped me, thanks. What about the morgans master blend beer enhancer, will that be alright?

thanks,
Florian

Does the label tell you what is in it?

From the label:
Beer enhancer extra pale malt extract. For use where you desire the lightest coloured beer without affecting the original flavour. Made from a special range of malt extracts. Made from 100% two row malted barley and specifically kettled for excess protein removal, resulting in brighter and clearer beer. From Australia

that will be perfect mate, sounds like it's just pale unhopped malt extract, same as the coopers stuff

cool, thanks Neill. Just ordered my hops and yeast and some TF chrystal malt grains to add to it. Can't wait...

I finally got around to emptying a fermenter so I could get this going today, I had to use galaxy as LHBS doesn't have centennial. Has anyone dry hopped this recipe? I've got 160g more amarillos that are desperate to get wet.

doesn't need dry hopping IMHO. it will just get too resiny - it's already borderline. but if you're a real hop nut then go for it?

I spoke to a mate yesterday who suggested having a taste out of the fermenter to see if it needs more hops. I reckon there's about an 80% chance I'll end up dry hopping, I just can't seem to get enough hoppy goodness these days.

Hey Neil

Good read. I'm gonna have to go and try this. When you say coopers LME (pale), do you mean the coopers international Australian pale ale?

Could I go 1 can of that with a can of coopers premium wheat, or just stick with the 2 pale kits? I'll probably steep 400g or so of carapils as well for a 23L batch.

It'll be good to try a brew with something other than US05!

Siborg,

You use the unhopped light liquid malt extract cans for this recipe.

Cheers.

I'm quite keen on making an APA as my next brew.

I used the Kit and Extract Designer to plug in a similar recipe to yours Neill but I will use one tin each of amber and light LME and also steep some Carared to bump up the EBC. I also have 500g Dex and 200g of Maltodex in the recipe and a slightly reduced hop profile.

Have to wait till I have the new homebrew shed operational until I can put it down though unfortunately as my current brewing room is our old bathroom and upcoming renovations are going to involve 'changing' that area :angry:

You can't find room for a fermenter? You really need those renovations done.

Howaya lads, i have this one fermenting away @ 18deg in the fridge and the aroma when you open the fridge door is only bleedin amazing. just one last question though. I have followed this one EXACTLY so far, now i want to bulk prime it. My last brew was also bulk primed but turned out just slightly under carbed. This is a 23L batch. Which sugar and how much does anyone who's already done this recommend?
Nice one,
Rob

Ps: Will be racking and cc'ing for a few days first, but will need to pick up supplies soon.

Same sugar as whatever you used last time just more of it.

What'd you do last time, in what volume and how much more carbed would you like it?

Hey
I did my first bulk prime last week. I was pointed to this website:
Bulk Priming Calculator
Aim for 2.5-2.9 volumes, depending on style and taste preference. Use corn sugar/dextrose/glucose, its 100% fermentable and doesn't leave any residual sugars behind.

Same sugar as whatever you used last time just more of it.

What'd you do last time, in what volume and how much more carbed would you like it?

Just disolved about 150g of dex in about 300ml of hot water. poured it into fermenter and then botled about 30 or 40 minutes later. for some reason it just hasnt carbed up to where i'd like it to be. Brew was a Hoegaarden clone with coopers wheat can, wheat malt extract, 23 litres fermented at 20 -22. I racked it too, could that have left too little yeast to do the job? Anyway, thats all the info i can think of.

Hey Guys I am back from my 4 weeks away and decided to put down on of Neils beers. One drama though that I had today I thought that my saucepan would hold 6 litres of water. It only held 4 litres. I followed everything else from the recipe but only used four litres for my boil. Will this effect anything? Ohh I tell a lie I used 50gms of Amarillo on both boil times as I had a 100 gm bag and wasn't sure how long it would keep in the fridge. Especially with such a small amount. So what I am saying is have I wrecked this tried and true recipe???

When you say "water" (he asks, not sure he wants to hear the answer) do you mean water or wort? What I mean is did you boil the hops in straight water or 1040-ish wort?

If straight water your bitterness will be significantly higher than the original recipe. Call it an IPA if it is and it won't be ruined - just not what you expected (or what is considered ideal).

yeah as bum said if you done 4lt boil you should of used about 475g of LME or 395 of DME. The extra hops would up the IBU its best to use something to calculate them without knowing the AA% of the hops and the amount you used its hard to know.

I done this again but used the base recipe and some left over hops.

Ingredient is:

2.5kg LDME
.5 dextrose
15g centennial 7.2% @ 30min
6g cascade 7.8% @ 30min
27g amarillo 8.3% @ 20min
27g amarillo 8.3% @10min

5lt boil with 500g of LDME

with 23lt batch turned out 1.052 OG and almost 31%IBU

Back