Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 6 weeks ago i made this:

2 x 1.5kg Coopers LME tins (pale)
500g Dextrose
20g Centennial @ 30 min
40g Amarillo @ 20 min
40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Total 31 IBU

OG 1058

Pitch Nottingham (would probably work well with US-05 too) and keep the temps under 20 degrees.

FG 1013

I just tasted one of these and this is one of the most awesome beers i've ever made. It is unbelievably fruity - the Centennial addition takes it to another level from an all-amarillo beer, which i have also done before. It's like someone has squeezed a passionfruit into your beer and then topped it up with watermelon or something. I'm no good at describing flavours but this is a cracker of a combination of hops. I urge all extract/KnB brewers out there to give this a go! :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers,

Neill

Hi guys,

I am new to all this brewing stuff and I have a Cooper's Lager with some extra mystery hops and DME as my first brew.
I was looking at the instructions Neil put up and I would like to know "Amarillo hops @ 20mins" meant the hops were boiled for 20mins? Thanks!

enuun

yeah thats correct so your just doing a 30 min boil so at the 20 min mark(10mins after you have put the centennial in) throw ya 40g of amarillo and then 10 mins later throw the other 40g in and 10 mins later your done.don't use your coopers lager tin for the boil though,use the DME and then put the tin in at the end

I'm going to make an Aussie version of this. I've got POR, galaxy & nelson sauvin. I was thinking the POR for bittering & the galaxy for the later additions unless anyones got a better idea.

this is as aussie as it gets hatchy. i invented it, and i'm aussie, so yeah that's about it.

I'm going to make an Aussie version of this. I've got POR, galaxy & nelson sauvin. I was thinking the POR for bittering & the galaxy for the later additions unless anyones got a better idea.

Stupid mistake. I was thinking NS are Australian because I've got flowers but they're from NZ. I'll do the Aussie version with POR & galaxy. Then on Sunday I'll do an ANZAC version with the POR & NS. I figure ANZAC day is a good day to make an ANZAC brew.

Sorry about the pointless post, for some reason I couldn't edit my previous post. Stupid iphone.

well it won't really be a "version" of this recipe will it - using two totally different hops it will taste completely different. you can use the "base" recipe of fermentables for any pale ale and it will come out nice, but changing the hops will obviously create a totally different beer.

create a recipe and if it's good, give it a name and post it up here so i can make it! that's what this site is for! :beer:

well it won't really be a "version" of this recipe will it - using two totally different hops it will taste completely different. you can use the "base" recipe of fermentables for any pale ale and it will come out nice, but changing the hops will obviously create a totally different beer.

create a recipe and if it's good, give it a name and post it up here so i can make it! that's what this site is for! :beer:

Valid point. The batch of this that I've already made didn't have centenial as LHBS didn't have any at the time. I'm not sure if it was in this thread or somewhere else that someone said they mainly use the same malt & change the hops to get an idea of how different hops go together. I reckon yr right about the 2 cans of coopers LME & whatever else you feel like throwing in. I don't see how it could go wrong.

that would probably have been me. i use the base of 3kg of LME and 500g of dex to make all my pales now, i just change the hops and the spec grains. they all come out nice and drinkable but with vastly different flavour profiles. this one and the hallertau bomb are the two that i've liked the most - the rest have been good but not special.

I only just realised I used 2 of those cans in my attempt at an Epic Arageddon IPA. I also used 1.2kg LDME & 600g Caramalt as well as an absolute shedload of hops. I made a dark ale with 2 cans & some spec grains as well. These Coopers cans are pretty versatile.

Well, i thought i would add my feedback and commend Neill for these great recipes.

Centenarillo Ale (with crystal steeped) is fantastic!!
Hallertau Bomb is also a winner!!

If you havent tried these out yet, find an emtpy fermenter pronto!! Cannot recommend highly enough! Seems Neill and I have similar taste!!

Neill, did you end up getting a toucan "LC Bright Ale" clone that you were happy with, i recall reading you were trying out some hops schedules. Also, have you got a good IPA toucan recipe floating around? I say if you like it, i will too!!!

Im saving this recipe down for the day I move over to Extract, Im only on my 2nd brew right now which is a base beer really.

Where is the best place to buy hops from in Melbourne or is it best to just order online? Any favorites?

I have never done this method and will do some more research, but from what I can gather:

- Bring 6l of water to boil
- Add 600g of the LME to boil
- Add 20g Centennial and start the timer
- Add 40g Amarillo with 20mins left
- Add 40g Amarillo with 10mins left
- Add mixture to fermenter along with rest of LME + Dextrose and fill to 23l
- Pitch Yeast
- Wait and bottle like usuall

When you guys say boil, you dont really mean 100c boiling though? I read somewhere about the boil that you only want around 70c? Or is this for more AG with a mash?

Other questions are should you let the mixture cool to room temp before adding to fermentor and other ingredients? or just try to adjust the hot out with cold water?

Ive written it down and would like to try it, Im really interested in getting into some kits + hops and even full extract like these

John

Im saving this recipe down for the day I move over to Extract, Im only on my 2nd brew right now which is a base beer really.

Where is the best place to buy hops from in Melbourne or is it best to just order online? Any favorites?

I have never done this method and will do some more research, but from what I can gather:

- Pitch Yeast

When you guys say boil, you dont really mean 100c boiling though? I read somewhere about the boil that you only want around 70c? Or is this for more AG with a mash?

Other questions are should you let the mixture cool to room temp before adding to fermentor and other ingredients? or just try to adjust the hot out with cold water?

Ive written it down and would like to try it, Im really interested in getting into some kits + hops and even full extract like these

John

im no expert but im sure they mean rolling boil. its what i do for my hop additions, and for any specific grain i use i steep at 70ish

- Pitch Yeast

this. although i use a 4L boil, so you might end up a bit more bitter with a larger boil.

add everything in at the end of the boil for 30 seconds, it'll sterilise all your fermentables. tip it all into the fermenter through a sieve to get the majority of the hop particles out if you like.

it's a rolling boil, so yes 100 degrees.

I didn't think the volume of the boil made a difference. I thought it was the sg which would give more/less hop utilisation.

I didn't think the volume of the boil made a difference. I thought it was the sg which would give more/less hop utilisation.

There's a school of thought that anything under a 10L boil will have an affect on the hop utilisation. That's why one should use the Hop Utilisation Factor in Ianh's spreadsheet (if they use that) for anything under a 10L boil, but isn't required if 10L or greater.

Oh. I only have a 10L pot at the moment. It may not be ideal but it does make beer.

Oh. I only have a 10L pot at the moment. It may not be ideal but it does make beer.
Won't hurt the beer at all, will just be slightly different, is all. Neill said that he only does 4L boils, and he seems to really like the brews that he's pumping out, so you'll still make very drinkable beer.

Latest posts

Back