First brews this year

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippa

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thought I'd let you all know what I'm up to. First brews last night for the year, been waiting for the temp to fall, I need to brew constantly now to stockpile for summer!

Brewed 2 beers last night, thought I would brew the same beer with 2 different hops schedules to see the difference. Pretty basic and fairly cheap for extract.

Base of beer is 2kg light LME, 0.5kg light DME, 0.5g Dex, 0.25kg CaraPils speciality grain.

Did a 7lt boil for 30 min, hops schedule as follows

40g Centennial @ 30
20g Amarillo @ 20
40g Amarillo @ 10

Second beer was the same except substituting Centennial for Galaxy.

OG 1044 FG 1009

I figure in 5 Cartons of beer I should be able to pick the similarity in Amarillo flavour between the brews and the subtle difference from Centennial and Galaxy :)

Oh I have dubbed it the "Bunny Boiler" as it will be a light blonde colour and fairly bitter, ie bitter blonde. Probably only get this if you know the origins of the phrase bunny boiler.

Hey Sippa.

This is a great time of year for brewing, especially if you don't have temp control. Your first brew should taste similar to Neill's Centenarillo Ale which is a popular brew (it's on my own list of to-brew-beers) and your second will be filled with Galaxy hop goodness (one of my favorites) with that tempering Centennial foral/citrus edge. They should be delicious summer ales that I would still enjoy thoroughly even in the winter cool.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in your work sir...

I thought I had seen that recipe somewhere before, So it appears I remembered it quite well then as its pretty much dead on his recipe.

Typically I had been brewing heavy beers so I thought I would add something lighter to drink. My missus will enjoy these I think.

Tested SG after 7 days, still had a few more points to go so should be ready to bottle this weekend. Tasted the SG samples and the difference in hoppy goodness is very noticeable. The bulk of the aroma comes from the Amarillo obviously but the Galaxy version gives a big passion fruit kick and seems more aromatic than the Centennial version.

Both seem nice (just a little exaggerated bitterness from the excessive yeast in the sample) and I am a little surprised at just how much flavour difference you can detect. I expected the Galaxy to give that passion fruit kick but being added at 30min I didn't expect it to be quite so dominant.

Can't wait to get em carbed up, chilled and in a glass to really test them head to head. Might even have to share 1 or 2 with a local home brewer club.

Very good, enjoy them and continue the amusing film references.

:beer:

Decanted brews on the weekend, added finings, will bottle tonight then it's just 3 more weeks until they be ready.

42 litres total conditioning. Samples taste excellent (for warm flat beer that is) this should keep the missus happy as it tasted like a nice Pale Ale. FG came out slightly higher than the spreadsheet indicated at 1012 instead of 1009.

Now we wait 3 weeks and in the mean time plan and brew the next one. Going to try a milk stout, Sippa's Brooding Cow

So have been drinking these the last couple weeks, Easily the best brews I have ever done and easily the best home brew any of my friends have ever tasted! Have had a few BBQ's serving these and they all end up just drinking my home brews and leaving their TEDS, Grolsh's and Peroni's in my fridge.

Taste of Centennial version is as good if not better than most commercial pale ales I have tried, and I'm not sure why but the head is creamier and lasts longer than the Galaxy version. Galaxy version had some harsher bitterness at first but has mellowed nicely now and for me would be the better of the 2 now. The fruitier passion fruit of the galaxy is just awesome and seems closer to an IPA then a pale ale.

I recommend trying out this one, would love to have the majority of them through the warmer months but they are just too good and won't be around for long. I think I will have to do another Galaxy one for the warmer months.

Sounds like a great drop.
Sippa said:
Hey all,

Thought I'd let you all know what I'm up to. First brews last night for the year, been waiting for the temp to fall, I need to brew constantly now to stockpile for summer!
Now you have to get going!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back