Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just racked my version of this recipe using galaxy for the centennial and steeped 300g crystal with a little dextrose and maltodextrin. Smells unbelievable, so fruity. Had a taste and had a nice subtle bitterness with a fruity clean finish with no twang. Gonna leave for another week at 19degrees then bottle. Can't wait for this one!

I have a quick question in regards to hops, not specifically about this recipe although it was similar. I did an extract using 40g of Amarillo at 20min and 20g at 10min and i just think it tastes too "fruity" (well kind of hoppy but definately fruity in some ways, almost tastes like passionfruit!)

In comparison to this recipe the only difference is that it doesn't have the Chinook so i was wondering if that is the main problem in that there is not enough bitterness to offset this fruity flavour?

OR is it probably more likely that i just don't like hops that much? :D I've done other brews with lower amounts of hops which had a more subtle flavour which i enjoyed, however i have seen a lot of recipes on this site with 60+ grams of hops so i thought i would give one a go. At this stage (only 4 weeks old) the hoppy flavour is just too strong imo.

that's the great thing about home brewing - you can make beers that YOU like! if it's too hoppy, then you've learnt something, and next time you can drop back on the late hops to give a more subtle flavour and create something that YOU enjoy. a lot of the blokes on here (myself included) like big, heavily late hopped beers, and this is certainly one of them!

I have a quick question in regards to hops, not specifically about this recipe although it was similar. I did an extract using 40g of Amarillo at 20min and 20g at 10min and i just think it tastes too "fruity" (well kind of hoppy but definately fruity in some ways, almost tastes like passionfruit!)

In comparison to this recipe the only difference is that it doesn't have the Chinook so i was wondering if that is the main problem in that there is not enough bitterness to offset this fruity flavour?

OR is it probably more likely that i just don't like hops that much? :D I've done other brews with lower amounts of hops which had a more subtle flavour which i enjoyed, however i have seen a lot of recipes on this site with 60+ grams of hops so i thought i would give one a go. At this stage (only 4 weeks old) the hoppy flavour is just too strong imo.

This is one of the things I love about Amarillo, I get passionfruit from it as well and use it quite alot. 40g at 20 mins would (for me anyway) be on the heavier side for just your standard pale ale. If it's too much for you drop it back to 20g and use a small amount at 60 mins to get the bitterness back in check

G'day lads, i'm looking to bottle this delicious drop soon and was wondering about bulk priming. I have 500g of dex at hand. If its suitable how much would i need to use for a 24L batch. Its slightly higher as i had to add ice to cool the wort down to a 19 deg pitching temp. Any advice will be rewarded with many thanks as usual!
Cheers,
Rob

G'day lads, i'm looking to bottle this delicious drop soon and was wondering about bulk priming. I have 500g of dex at hand. If its suitable how much would i need to use for a 24L batch. Its slightly higher as i had to add ice to cool the wort down to a 19 deg pitching temp. Any advice will be rewarded with many thanks as usual!
Cheers,
Rob

Hey BLB,

Have you checked out the wikis? http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...;showarticle=68

I'm sure someone will have some on hand experience but I hope this bit of info helps in your quest. :beerbang:

Cheers Pete! Bit of a tit for not seeing that myself but anyway, thanks for the help. As my second fermenter is currently holding my erdinger clone 'Humdinger', i couldn't rack it but hopefully it'll turn out nicely. Give us a shout if you're ever down near Margies mate!

Rob.

I recently made this up as per first post with the only difference being 300g dex cause its all i had left at the time.
Sipping on one as we speak and i must say its a very nice drop and has only been bottle conditioned for 2 weeks.
Not quite as hoppy as i expected with the 80g amarillo but still very well balanced.
Prob my favourite brew made so far.
Will definently be putting another one down on the weekend but prob add 300g caramalt and see how it goes.
Cheers Neill for the new favourite at my bar.

no dramas mate! glad you liked it. i love stumbling across random recipes that turn out well, makes the whole brewing thing a lot more interesting.

Hi all, i'm planning to make one of these, but with a slight variation of using Simcoe and Amarillo for something slightly different. Also planning slightly different hopping shedule too

10g Simcoe 20g Amarillo @ 30
10g Simcoe 20g Amarillo @ 10
10g Simcoe 20g Amarillo @ 0

Reckon that souns ok? Im salivating just thinking about it, will also be my first full extract brew!!

luv the Simcoe but it's very overpowering.. Just 1/2g per litre will change the beer completely. The 10g at 0min alone would be a reasonable dose for a nice hit of grapefruit/ sherbet without completely taking over. Of course thats just my opinion, you'll need to work out what suits you. I'm at the point where I don't wanna make anything but Amarillo/ Simcoe APA, it's the best beer I make by a mile. Heres the hops schedule for my last batch out of interest. Cheers,
===============================================
45 litres
-
45.00 gm Magnum [12.50 %] (75 min) (First Wort HopHops 30.3 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] (15 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
20.00 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] (0 min) Hops -

so maybe something more like this?

10g Simcoe 20g Amarillo @ 30
20g Amarillo @ 10
10g Simcoe 20g Amarillo @ 0

Well I brewed this using Neills base recipe, + 125g of Bairds light crystal and the first hop schedule I posted, and just had a sample out of the fermenter and it tastes superb!! I could drink pints of the stuff straight from the fermenter!! Its exactly what I was after, I think Neill's base recipe is absolutely spot on!

just made this extract. I've made both Niels and MrMaltys Cent/ Amarillo and liked both but I'm after some more IBUs.
:icon_offtopic: A bit off topic but does anyone know how to add the predicted %ABV
and the IBU/ SG ratio to this report? I can add "my report" to the list but when I hit edit the "add report" dialogue box pops up again? Cheers

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: apa2__2/3-20 rule
Brewer: Chris
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 3.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 84.51 %
0.30 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (36.0 SRM) Grain 8.45 %
10.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (75 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
15.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (15 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
15.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
15.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hops-Steep -
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hops-Steep -
0.25 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7.04 %
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale American Ale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Hi Neill
Just put one of these down today as per your original recipe, already smelling great.
Would you mind posting your hallertau bomb recipe as well.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Neill,

Just made this brew up as your recipe + 200g steeped crystal malt. Is the OG of 1058 stated correct? Mine only came out at 1048 OG.

marchaos that sounds reasonable. Mine came out at 1055 but I wanted a strong beer fermented to 1014. you should still get around 4.5+% with what you got

my recipe was

2.6kg LDME
.5 kg dextrose
and the same hop schedule
US-05 yeast

If it comes out between 4.5 - 5.0% i`ll be happy. Just found it strange that i did the recipe exactly but my og was 10 points lower.

3.0 kg Coopers llme
500g Dextrose
Same Hop Schedule
Same yeast
23l

Only diff was the added 200g steeped Crystal malt

This is high enough on my things to brew list that I've bought the ingredients waiting for an empty fermenter. LHBS didn't have any centennial so I'm subbing in some galaxy that I had in the freezer & I'm going to dry hop another 40g of amarillo.

my next brew I wanna try galaxy well the next one is a bitsa to get rid of some hops and prob some galaxy to bring the IBU up then plan a full galaxy just to see what its got :p sounds like a nice hop. If its a good beer hatchy add to recipe data base and post in kits/extract section :p

Latest posts

Back