Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled this yesterday and the house has this wonderful aroma just can't help but walk about sniffing the air :icon_drool2:

I did the first lot as per Neill's recipe but am now looking to do an AG version can any one suggest a good grain bill?

In Beersmith I basically took out the extract and replaced it with 4kg Pale Malt which will give me 1.051 SG
Will this do?

I'd mix it up with some spec grains. Nothing over the top, still keeping it pretty simple but just something to add a little depth of character. Say up to 10% with your favourite specs?

Well have only used spec grains once so far in a porter so not a lot experience with all their flavours I guess this would be the perfect time to add just one and get to know the taste of that.
Added 250g of crystal.

Spec grains will give you certain characters. Each one is different so it's best to read about each and decide what you want. For example choc will give colour, some roastiness and a kind of choc/cocoa hint, biscuit malt will bring nuttiness and toastiness (actually technically not a spec malt but used in tiny amounts), black malt will bring roastiness, light and medium crystals will bring sweetness etc etc.

What do you want from it? This recipe seems designed to showcase the hops rather than the malt so if you do add spec grains I'd go for something basic (the crystal is probably a good choice). Otherwise biscuit does seem to suit nearly every brew I make (and goes beautifully with amarillo).

As for base malt - I'd say either ale malt or pilsner malt or a mixture. Any pale base malt would probably do but start with basic cheaper ones and build from there.

Pale Malt was just what Beersmith has, I priced the Ale Malt from the sponsors ^up there.

But yeah just want a nice pale ale base nothing too complex just really want to do an AG version for myself, the one I just bottled was for my Brother in Law who bank rolled it.

roverfj1200; made up to 23 litres (standard batch volume) and for the boil i just used 6L with about 1/3 of one of the LME tins added (600g in 6L is about right for gravity to utilise the hops properly)
[/quote]

Neill, quick question on the boil method - are you only boiling 600g in 6 litres of water, adding the hops at the required times then adding the rest of the LME straight into the fermenter?

If so, is this a rule of thumb for extract brewing (the ratio of LME to water for the boil)?

60min boil?

Thanks.

yep that's exactly what i do. If your pot is big enough, just finish the hop boil, then throw in all your fermentables and bring it back to the boil for 1 min to sanitise it all then throw into the fermenter, top up with cold and pitch at the desired temp. Dead easy! And thousands of times better than using pre-hopped goo!

Hi,

Is there any problem using dry malt extract for this recipe rather than liquid. Dry is cheaper thats all :D
Im also gonna replace the Centennial with Galaxy as i cant get it.
Cheers!

G'day lads,
I'm gonna give this one a go later today. Quick question: After the boil do i just lob the whole lot into the fermenter or strain it in? I did a similar brew a while back and didn't strain it, and it turned out with a LOT of sediment in the bottle. And in particularly heavy sedimenty bottles there was quite a bitter taste?!?!
Cheers for any help,
Rob

Hi,

Is there any problem using dry malt extract for this recipe rather than liquid. Dry is cheaper thats all :D
Im also gonna replace the Centennial with Galaxy as i cant get it.
Cheers!

No problem at all with the dry. Only thing is you can't do a straight swap. You need less dry malt extract than you do liquid malt extract - about 80% in rough figures I think. Best thing to do is run the numbers through Beersmith or similar to make sure your gravity is what you're hoping for.

so how about this:
2kg ldme
200g crystal malt steeped
250g dextrose
250g maltodextrin
20g galaxy
40g amarillo
40g amarillo

Hops additions as per recipe, danstar yeast.

Thoughts please?

Ok I am going to try to put this down tomorrow. I want to make a 25lt batch as I wouldnt mind a few more bottles out of one brew. Plus this looking like a sure thing cant have enough :lol: I found my last 23lt batch I only got 27 bottles after hydro samples and racking so figure 25lts get me closer to 30 bottles.

I am thinking of using:
2.5kg LDME
500g dextrose
17g centenial 11AA
2 x 35g amarillo 8.2AA
us-05 yeast

calculated at 1.048 OG, 1.012 FG, 31.4 IBU, 7.35 EBC

this sound about right??? if not what changes and where??? I dont want a massive IBU as still trying to work out what I like so thought I would aim for a lower end of the scale

that's pretty much exactly the same hop schedule, 3g off here and there isn't going to make a lick of difference. I mainly used 20g, 40g, 40g so that i could buy a 40g pack of centennial, and 2x80g packs of amarillo and have it come out even. should be fine mate.

that's pretty much exactly the same hop schedule, 3g off here and there isn't going to make a lick of difference. I mainly used 20g, 40g, 40g so that i could buy a 40g pack of centennial, and 2x80g packs of amarillo and have it come out even. should be fine mate.

I think I've found my next brew! I've been interested in Amarillo myself - this like a great recipe to try them out. I just ran it through the BeerTools.com Recipe Calculator, adding .25oz [7 grams] of 40L Cyrstal, and it comes out as an American Pale Ale. I really don't care what it is, it sounds great! I'm hoping to brew this within the next couple of weeks. B)

Try 100g - that's the least I've ever used of specialty grain

Oh good God, I just realized my mistake. We're metrically challenged here in the US! :rolleyes: I'm thinking hops - 7grams = .25oz, and so on. Yes, I was thinking about .25 of a pound of cyrstal, which would be about 113 grams. Sorry 'bout that.

i reckon just make it without the honey to the original specs. the honey will add too much flavour where it isn't wanted. this beer is all about the hops!

I have a quick question in regards to hops, not specifically about this recipe although it was similar. I did an extract using 40g of Amarillo at 20min and 20g at 10min and i just think it tastes too "fruity" (well kind of hoppy but definately fruity in some ways, almost tastes like passionfruit!)

In comparison to this recipe the only difference is that it doesn't have the Chinook so i was wondering if that is the main problem in that there is not enough bitterness to offset this fruity flavour?

OR is it probably more likely that i just don't like hops that much? :D I've done other brews with lower amounts of hops which had a more subtle flavour which i enjoyed, however i have seen a lot of recipes on this site with 60+ grams of hops so i thought i would give one a go. At this stage (only 4 weeks old) the hoppy flavour is just too strong imo.

Latest posts

Back