Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put down my second batch of this brew...first one was great - didnt last long enough! Would like to keep this as my house brew and just alter slightly to suit tastes...

This time round;
3kg Black Rock Light LME
500g Light DME
250g Dextrose
250g Carapils (30min Steep in 2Lts)
5L boil with Grain water and DME
Hop additions as per recipe @ 30m, 15m and 5m
Pitched US-05 @ 22 deg and will drop down to 18 deg
Primary 1 week, secondary for another week
Dry hop with a further 15g each in secondary
Gelatine for finings (works a treat for those who havent tried it)

how did it turn out Salt?
Is it essential to use the coopers brand of LME or will black rock or any other brand be ok? is there much difference between brands of LME?

Is this brew really good? this thread has made two years. Who is still making it?

i have this one in the fermenter as we speak. i will let you know how it went.
but i had to change it a bit.

US-05 yeast

30gm cascade hops in lieu of centenal

75 of amerallo.
(all boils stayed at suggested boil times -30gm @ 30min, 35gm at 20 min, 35gm at 10min.
2kgs of DLME, 1.7 coopers tin of LME

(and i added dregs of dex (250gm) and Brew enhancer 2 (267gm))

SG was around 1.060.

once it settled - i did get a bit (1.5cmish) of sediment (prob due to loosing half of hops when i strained it into fermenter!!)

:)

Does boiling a % of the LME in the water for the hops addition affect the LME in a negative way at all?

Does boiling a % of the LME in the water for the hops addition affect the LME in a negative way at all?

not that i have seen, even if it did (and i don't believe it does) the benifit of increased hop utilisation far outways any negative implications of the LME boiled in water for 30-60min.

not that i have seen, even if it did (and i don't believe it does) the benifit of increased hop utilisation far outways any negative implications of the LME boiled in water for 30-60min.

Definitely starting this brew once my pimpweizen is racked!

I still make this every third brew or so, it's just that good. My mates can't get enough of it - a few are offering me $40 for a carton of it! I should go into production. It's a classic that's for sure - discovered by accident!

I made this 4 days ago, in the fermenter now.

Looking forward to giving it a taste

Just put this one down yesterday, my first extract brew, was piss easy, dont know why I didnt do it sooner.

Struggled to get the temp down to pitching temp after the boil with the warm weather, should have bought a bag of ice to put in the sink with it to cool it. Lesson learnt.

Ended up having to pitch the rehydrated yeast at 30c, far less than ideal, but had no choice. :(

Fingers crossed I haven't buggered it, will be a long wait till first sampling. The hops smell unreal

When I make this I wanna use gelatine or some sort of finings to really make it a cracker taste and look, how do I go about doing that? How much and when?
Cheers :)

I just kicked off a version of this recipe as my second ever brew, looking forward to trying it out! Mine consisted of:

2.5kg LDME
0.2kg Carapils
0.1kg Amber Crystal
0.5kg Dextrose

Hop additions as per Neils suggestion
Centennial 20g 30Mins
Amarillo 40g 20Mins
Amarillo 40g 10Mins

With US-05

Predicted (Kit Extract Beer Designer)
OG 1.052 (actual 1056)
FG 1.011
IBU 34.8
EBC 9.3
%alc 5.6

I purchased the hops in 90gm bags, so have 10gm of Amarillo left, should I just throw it in the FV to add a little late hop aroma?

wanna put this one down today but just wanna know if there is a difference between LME and LME (pale) my LHBS has the coopers LME cans but it doesn't mention pale on the can anywhere?

About 6 weeks ago i made this:

2 x 1.5kg Coopers LME tins (pale)
500g Dextrose
20g Centennial @ 30 min
40g Amarillo @ 20 min
40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Total 31 IBU

OG 1058

Pitch Nottingham (would probably work well with US-05 too) and keep the temps under 20 degrees.

FG 1013

I bought the stuff to make this up, but only bought one sachet (11gms) of the Nottingham yeast.

The packet says usage rate 1g/L - so do I need a second pack?

Latest posts

Back