Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little update from last weeks brew day.

Racked to secondary yesterday after 7 days of brew action, SG reading: 1020. A little surprised at how high this one is still sitting at..

My O.G. was 1046, and has been bubbling nicely at 21-22 degrees for the week. Just hoping that it will continue to drop a little more as I expected a lower reading by this stage...

Smells amazing, hops and other gunk has settled out nicely. A little bit of cloudyness when racking to secondary, but nothing unexpected.

Will monitor SG and hopefully watch it drop a little more, looking to add finings towards the end of week, so I can then transfer to a third vessel for bulk prime and bottling at the weekend... :icon_cheers:

I have had this brew in the primary for 6 days now, it is at a 1012. The db recipe details states 10 days in primary 10 days in secondary, my question is do I need to rack to a secondary for a reason or can I jump that stage and bottle it this weekend?

Cheers

You don't have to rack to secondary, people do it for different reasons, but it wont ruin the beer if you don't. I do like to crash chill my beers for a couple of days though to help drop some yeast out, sometimes I don't get that chance though. I've made this beer several times now, and haven't done a secondary quite a few times, still bloody nice...

I have had this brew in the primary for 6 days now, it is at a 1012. The db recipe details states 10 days in primary 10 days in secondary, my question is do I need to rack to a secondary for a reason or can I jump that stage and bottle it this weekend?

Cheers
Down a hill - I have never done any secondary fermentation. I nearly always just leave the brew in the fermenter for 10-14 days then bottle. My understanding is that it's mainly done to allow the beer to clear further without the ill effects of leaving the beer on the yeast cake too long. A bit of time on with yeast cake after the main ferment is done can be benificial as yeast tend to clean up their other flavours after running out of sugar - that's why I'll normally leave for 14 days in primary.

If the brew is completely fermented then there is no problem bottling it straight from the primary fermenter.

EDIT - Sorry, beaten to it.

Couldn't help myself on the weekend and cracked one open. It's a little gem of a recipe, even at two weeks in the bottle.

Cheers

mines been in primary for over 2 weeks and is at 1016.

dont know if anything went wrong but it looks good. Ive thrown in sum gelatine and will bottle it tonite.

Is this beer particularly bitter? taste nice but is really bitter. this is just me tasting when i take sg readings though.

I also think i stuffed up the recipe by using 2 coopers australian pale ale tins instead of 2 coopers LME (pale). I originally thought they were the same...

The australian pale ale cans already have hops added to them so if you used these your brew will be extra bitter. Plus you've used two cans as well so its twice as bitter before you've even started. Those cans are like 20IBU's aren't they?

The coopers pale malt cans don't have any hops added to them so aren't bitter, this is why you have to add hops to them.

I think your brew will be pretty bitter, but hopefully it will subside with time.

mines been in primary for over 2 weeks and is at 1016.

dont know if anything went wrong but it looks good. Ive thrown in sum gelatine and will bottle it tonite.

Is this beer particularly bitter? taste nice but is really bitter. this is just me tasting when i take sg readings though.

I also think i stuffed up the recipe by using 2 coopers australian pale ale tins instead of 2 coopers LME (pale). I originally thought they were the same...

woopsy

live and learn, still should be nice, i like bitter beers anyway haha

The australian pale ale cans already have hops added to them so if you used these your brew will be extra bitter. Plus you've used two cans as well so its twice as bitter before you've even started. Those cans are like 20IBU's aren't they?

The coopers pale malt cans don't have any hops added to them so aren't bitter, this is why you have to add hops to them.

I think your brew will be pretty bitter, but hopefully it will subside with time.

I want to do one of these for my first extract beer but I don't have any Centennial hops so was wondering if Cascade would be a good substitute for the Centennial instead?

it would be a alright sub but it will not be any where near the same beer. but the hops schedule for this recipe would work well with all fruity american hops

I want to do one of these for my first extract beer but I don't have any Centennial hops so was wondering if Cascade would be a good substitute for the Centennial instead?

Should be O.K. but a different beer Cascade has more grapefruit in its flavour. Centennial = super Cascade.

CB hop list compare the two

Thanks for the response guys. I would get some Centennial but the LHBS here doesn't stock it and the postage from CB is $10+. :( I am waiting on an order from CB now, I should have included the hops then if I had of known :(

Thanks for the response guys. I would get some Centennial but the LHBS here doesn't stock it and the postage from CB is $10+. :( I am waiting on an order from CB now, I should have included the hops then if I had of known :(

Amber, I have enough Centennial for you to do a brew, from memory you only need 20g. Give me a call.

Just cracked a bottle after 2 weeks conditioning. Very nice. Great hop combo.
Ended up doing the recipe with 200g of light crystal.

10 days in primary and 10 days in secondary because I was busy.
Clearest beer so far though.
Bulk primed 21L with 150g of dextrose.

A little light on the carbonation atm. (im guessing because of the long fermentation and cold melbourne weather)
Hopefully another week will bring it up.

Definitely gonna try this recipe again with some different hops for comparison.

thanks Neill

Hi guys,
is there an AG version of this recipe?

Both Jason (northern beaches brew club) and I have ordered Centennial and Amarillo just to try this one out :)

Thinking pilsner malt and using the hopping schedule from page 1 to 31 IBUs.

But might do with a bit of munich or caramalt or something to give it a touch more maltiness and flavour than only pilsner malt?

How light coloured is this beer, are we talking Tooheys New or Golden Ale?

thanks
Bjorn

Brewed this up a month ago and is bloody delicious after 3 weeks in the bottle.

LHBS didn't have centennial (& I only had 60g of amarillo) so I had to tweak it like so:

30g Cascade @ 40min
20g Cascade 20g Amarillo @ 20min
40g Amarillo @ 10min

Bright light golden colour & a passionfruit aroma which leaps out of the glass and punches you in the face.

Was my first extract brew & was a nice easy introduction to a full boil.
will definitely try to follow the script next time, it looks like a winning formula.

(fk me I'll also use hop bags next time)

Back